1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Axle wrap?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by walthouston7, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    walthouston7

walthouston7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Prerunner Sport
    Cold air intake, 22's are gone (thank god) got 17's and BFG's, Audio system, Flowmaster 40
    There is no shortage of threads with people having problems with the "clunk" when coming to a complete stop. I bought an 05 Prerunner 6 months ago and after a few months I noticed vibration when accelerating. Now I have the "clunk" as well. After research it seems as tho these problems might be related. When I looked under the truck I noticed a new driveshaft (smaller one near tranny) so possibly the previous owner had the same problem.

Any idea of a fix for me? Also, I cant seem to find any grease fittings anywhere! Help! Thanks!

05 Prerunner V6 Dbl Cab

2. Dec 30, 2009 at 8:42 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    check the u joints, carrier bearing and make sure everything it tight

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:32 AM
    walthouston7

walthouston7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    Cold air intake, 22's are gone (thank god) got 17's and BFG's, Audio system, Flowmaster 40
    as far as I can tell everything is tight. I have never messed with a driveshaft before so I wouldnt even know whats not normal. Can anybody confirm that I'm screwed on the grease fittings?
    I've heard that lifting the rear would help the problem. Can anybody confirm this too?

4. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:41 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    My suggestion to you (assuming you purchased it at a Toyota dealership) is to take it in and have it documented as much as you can. Even if they know about it and say there is no fix, tell them to put in on paper (computer too) and make sure you get a copy. Should Toyota come out with a fix, you have something in writing regardless of miles. I think I would be screwed with 93K and no documentation. I am the original owner too! Good luck.

5. Dec 31, 2009 at 3:29 AM
    Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut New Member

Member:
  6. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:49 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Lifting wont necissarily fix it. I have been dealing with this prob for ever. I put in a Toytec AAL and it fixed it for about two months. Came right back. Putting on whole new leaf packs tommarrow. Old Man Emu's to stiffin up the back end. But I have my doubts that this will even fix it. The axle wrap is only half the problem. I have an 06 Pre Runner. There are 0 grease zerts on my DS as well. Totaly sealed. The clunck is from the POS two piece drive shaft's slip yoke. As the springs flex or (wrap) the slip yoke by the carrier bearing tends to bind up. When you take your foot off the breaks the springs settle back to normal and your slip yoke "unbinds" hence the clunk. As soon as I get my new leaf packs on Im taking messurments and ordering a one piece drive shaft from Tom Woods. Longer slip yoke, has graese ports, No carrier bearing POS, less of an angle ON the slip yoke. will keep you posted.

7. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    i still have this on my truck.

after i got the suspension TSB I thought it might go away.....it was still there, so i put the helper springs back on.

keeps the rear end from feeling "squishy" and flattens out acceleration.

8. Dec 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    walthouston7

walthouston7 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walt
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    This is a bullshit problem. The reason I bought another Tacoma was that they don't have problems like this! I refuse to accept that there is no definite cure. I will sell it n a heartbeat before I clunk around town. I shoulda never sold my 98 2wd! I never had a problem with it at 200,000 miles! Arghh:mad::mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top