Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Axle wrap?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #1
walthouston7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Walt
walthouston7's Tacoma Gallery
Axle wrap?

There is no shortage of threads with people having problems with the "clunk" when coming to a complete stop. I bought an 05 Prerunner 6 months ago and after a few months I noticed vibration when accelerating. Now I have the "clunk" as well. After research it seems as tho these problems might be related. When I looked under the truck I noticed a new driveshaft (smaller one near tranny) so possibly the previous owner had the same problem.

Any idea of a fix for me? Also, I cant seem to find any grease fittings anywhere! Help! Thanks!

05 Prerunner V6 Dbl Cab
Old 12-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
bajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shedbajamoon is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: STEVE
bajamoon's Tacoma Gallery
check the u joints, carrier bearing and make sure everything it tight
Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
as far as I can tell everything is tight. I have never messed with a driveshaft before so I wouldnt even know whats not normal. Can anybody confirm that I'm screwed on the grease fittings?
I've heard that lifting the rear would help the problem. Can anybody confirm this too?
Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
My suggestion to you (assuming you purchased it at a Toyota dealership) is to take it in and have it documented as much as you can. Even if they know about it and say there is no fix, tell them to put in on paper (computer too) and make sure you get a copy. Should Toyota come out with a fix, you have something in writing regardless of miles. I think I would be screwed with 93K and no documentation. I am the original owner too! Good luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Cosmonaut is on a distinguished road
Cosmonaut's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new here, but it seems like you may benefit from this cheap traction bar-like fix: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post47217

original discussion seems to be: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=198266

In terms of a lift, an AAL would help fix axle wrap, but just spacers wouldn't do any good.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #6
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Lifting wont necissarily fix it. I have been dealing with this prob for ever. I put in a Toytec AAL and it fixed it for about two months. Came right back. Putting on whole new leaf packs tommarrow. Old Man Emu's to stiffin up the back end. But I have my doubts that this will even fix it. The axle wrap is only half the problem. I have an 06 Pre Runner. There are 0 grease zerts on my DS as well. Totaly sealed. The clunck is from the POS two piece drive shaft's slip yoke. As the springs flex or (wrap) the slip yoke by the carrier bearing tends to bind up. When you take your foot off the breaks the springs settle back to normal and your slip yoke "unbinds" hence the clunk. As soon as I get my new leaf packs on Im taking messurments and ordering a one piece drive shaft from Tom Woods. Longer slip yoke, has graese ports, No carrier bearing POS, less of an angle ON the slip yoke. will keep you posted.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonaut View Post
I'm new here, but it seems like you may benefit from this cheap traction bar-like fix: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...html#post47217

original discussion seems to be: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=198266

In terms of a lift, an AAL would help fix axle wrap, but just spacers wouldn't do any good.
i still have this on my truck.

after i got the suspension TSB I thought it might go away.....it was still there, so i put the helper springs back on.

keeps the rear end from feeling "squishy" and flattens out acceleration.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
This is a bullshit problem. The reason I bought another Tacoma was that they don't have problems like this! I refuse to accept that there is no definite cure. I will sell it n a heartbeat before I clunk around town. I shoulda never sold my 98 2wd! I never had a problem with it at 200,000 miles! Arghh