1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hauling the bike

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Joey_Buttafuoco, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Joey_Buttafuoco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    finally figured out how to download pictures off of my cell phone, so i thought id share some pictures from a few months ago. my father was moving so i gave him a hand hauling one of the project bikes. the truck handled it pretty well, the only grip was straping the bike down up front. i used the sliding cleats but they didnt feel that strong, guess its time to mod the bed-bolts for more D-rings...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 31, 2009 at 1:53 PM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Ya I really don't understand why they didn't put the D-rings on the bed up front instead of the back. I've never had a use for them in the back.

I've hauled sportbikes before and just used the rail cleats. They seemed stable enough to me and I didn't have any issues.

Btw, that project bike looks sick! That tank is interesting. Looks like 2 separate tanks.

3. Dec 31, 2009 at 2:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I can't wait to see photos of that bike once it's finished.

I've used the bedside cleats for my sport bike and had no issues. But adding my D rings is on my list.

4. Jan 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    thanks for the comments, hes aiming to finish it by the spring. the bike felt stable and secure, the only thing that made me nervous was when ratcheting down the straps i was worried about tightening them too much and possibly ripping out the rails, im not sure how securly theyre fastened to the bed. heres a pic of just the bike:
    [​IMG]

5. Jan 1, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    Love the scoot, good looking project bike

6. Jan 2, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    Nice looking bike! I put D-rings under my front bed bolts immediately because I just didn't trust the cleats to haul my bikes. They're cheap and very easy to install. Well worth the trouble for the peace of mind.

In the third picture, is that a '68 Caprice or Impala?

7. Jan 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i kinda dont trust the rings either but fuck it.it they fail

8. Jan 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    i have a honda 400ex atv...the front d rings would do me no good cuz the front tires are in the way...i strap it down with the two rear d rings in the floor and put two of the rings on the track in the front and tie the straps through the footpegs...this the only way that i can figure out to tie it down cuz i cant' use the handle bars since the fenders are in the way

9. Jan 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    In the third picture, is that a '68 Caprice or Impala?[/quote]

good eye, shes a caprice. 327/th350. mostly original, minus a 4 barrel carb and the exhaust. 37000 and change original miles, runs strong, but the exterior could use a lot of tlc because its been stored outside for a couple years now.

10. Jan 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:

good eye, shes a caprice. 327/th350. mostly original, minus a 4 barrel carb and the exhaust. 37000 and change original miles, runs strong, but the exterior could use a lot of tlc because its been stored outside for a couple years now.[/quote]

Only 37K+ original miles??? Sweet! You should definitely restore her. Don't see many with the hideaway headlights - especially these days.

11. Jan 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    Raven65

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    It's not really an issue with an ATV, because you're not relying on the straps to hold the thing upright like you are with a bike. All you have to worry about with an ATV is making sure it doesn't roll out the back of the truck. Bikes (well.. most bikes) stand up a lot higher than ATV's - and you don't want them falling over.

12. Jan 4, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    Danosabre

Danosabre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Gardner,Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    Extang Trifold bed cover,DDM 55W 6000k HID, maglight, Vent visors
    Nice scoot! Your missin a seat though!:eek:

Products Discussed in