1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

what to get for my 08?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billfrombothell, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Mar 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM
    billfrombothell

billfrombothell [OP] Member

Member:
    I have been lurking here for a while getting info and ideas for when I buy my 08 Tacoma. Looks like I'll be pulling the trigger and placing my order in a couple weeks or so. I plan on getting everything I think I'll need or want at the time of purchase.

I do some small boat towing (under 2,000 lbs), some off road to get to my favortite fishing holes and quite a bit of snow driving in the mountains of Idaho and Montana. Here's what I plan on getting and maybe you experts can tell me if I'm on the wrong track anywhere or if I'm missing anything:

2008 Access Cab 4.0 auto 4wd TRD off road package
    Tow package
    Deluxe in-dash 6 CD changer (I'll also need an IPod hookup of some type)
    Silver or black
    Swapped stock tires for Firestone Destination A/T's
    Access Rollup tonneau
    Bed extender for the motorcycles
    Bed mat
    HD floor mats

You all have a lot of good ideas here so I would like to hear what you think.

2. Mar 14, 2008 at 2:04 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Sounds like you have your bases covered. i would not recomend springing for the upgraded stereo. unless things have changed for the 08's (and i dont think they have) you cannot get a Ipod hookup no matter what pkg you get. You're best bet is to save your money and have a quality system installed from your local car stereo joint. Most people who actually care about a descent sound system (i dont care but other do) have replaced their head unit, this is true for those with the regular CD player as well as the ones with the 6 disc upgrade. Ihave also heard that the upgrade is not much better sounding than the standard unit.

as far as color goes, i have black and think it looks much better than the silver. But its hard to keep clean and every little scrach shows up like a neon sign. for functionality i recomend silver, for looks i personally prefer black. but thats up to you, just something to think about.

other than that looks like a bunch of good choices. you'll love it when you get it. Welcome to TW!

3. Mar 14, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    Welcome to TacomaWorld!

4. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:20 PM
    kwalton

kwalton Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, Md
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Sport 4x4
    definitely forget the upgraded stereo. you will be much happier with an aftermarket one. the ipod conects are better too.

5. Mar 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM
    brob1975

brob1975 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab, Long Bed TRD Sport
    Tonneau Cover, All Weather Floor Mats
    My 08 is 4 weeks old and I have the upgraded 6 disc changer (came with the TRD sport package) decent "factory stereo" but no iPod hook ups (there are mods on this site showing how you can use the input on the back of the stereo for iPod, but I agree if it is a factor definately save you $$$ and get a decent after-market system....color - as Wesley Snipes says "always bet on black"

also check out the sites of reinforcing the tailgate if you are putting motorcycles in the back...good luck with getting your new ride.

6. Mar 14, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Sounds like everyone is right on track, after market stereo, better tires. :D

7. Mar 15, 2008 at 12:49 PM
    Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Taco
    I agree as well............don't get the upgraded stereo. You will end up changing it after visiting this site. I still have my oem, but will change it soon. One thing I will suggest is to make sure your upholstery is protected. I let the dealer talk me into this one when I made my purchase. Good thing though..........the very eve I bought it, I was showing it to my girlfriend, who was sitting in the drivers seat, and she spilled a glass of red wine all over the passenger seat and floor. It came right up with damp rags.

8. Mar 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM
    45longcolt

45longcolt Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    WeatherTech or Cabelas floor liners are a good thing. All the other suggestions are right in line too. Welcome to Tacoma World and good luck with your new truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top