1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

true advantage of 09-10 vs older 2nd gens.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ywen, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Jun 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Just for the record ...

Depending on what model and specific features you're after, you may not have to limit yourself to one or another side of the 2009 model year in the used market.

The VSC/TRAC system was available as an option going back to the 2nd generation's introduction in 2005. The side / curtain airbags were available as an option on Double Cabs (only) going back to 2005.

2. Jun 19, 2010 at 1:38 PM
    lrak

lrak Well-Known Member

Member:
    It depends what you or your dealer ordered. In '08 you could get locker, mechanical LSD, or the VSC/auto LSD system. I have the VSC/auto LSD and side airbags on my '08 4x4.

3. Jun 19, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    waynesworld

waynesworld Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    hampton ,va
    Vehicle:
    05 trd off road 4x4 dcsb auto silver streak
    rancho lift 2in rs9000shocks on front,avs in channel vent visors,tacoma entry guards,oem bed extender,weathertech floor mats,access vanish bed cover,tailgate mod ,alpine stereo,xm stereo.trd skidplate.mobil 1 extended performance oil, avid light bar
    i geuss its ok if your a rookie a haven't driven 4wdrives , i wouldn't have it 2 much crap 2 go bad.:stirthepot:

4. Jun 19, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I say the stability control systems are a major improvement to the RWD handling of the Tacoma. This is a part time 4wd vehicle - one you don't want to leave in 4wd unless needed. In my case, most of the roads around here may be dry in winter, but in shaded areas have snowpack or icy conditions and the stability control works really well to prevent situations where my old 86 4Runner would have fishtailed with a loss of traction. The technology of VSC / TRAC and (in the TRD) A-TRAC of the 09-10 is pretty awesome. I looked at some 2006s - 2008s but it was definitely worth it to spend the extra money (since in CO resale values are so damn high the difference wasn't very much) to just bite the bullet for new.

5. Jun 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    BTW vehicle stability control is mandated standard equipment for all "light duty vehicles" by 2011 anyway ... and it is one mandate that the auto manufacturers and especially insurance companies are both actually applauding. Is it more to go wrong? Maybe. But they said that about power windows too, and truth be told the only window mechanism I've ever broken was a manual one in my 1981 Celica.

Products Discussed in

To Top