Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

anyone ever tint or smoke their tail lights??

Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
anyone ever tint or smoke their tail lights??

i was wondering if anyone has ever tinted or smoked their tail lights... how did you do, with what product and from where...post pics please......thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Tinted em. Slightly dark.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
Tinted em. Slightly dark.
What did you use, and from where??
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 AM   #4
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I think it was called vht Nightshade or something like that. Threw on like 2-3 coats and a couple clear coats. Just know that if you tint them, they will get darker once it sets.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
vht nightshade.
some people use these steps:

spray vht nightshade to the darkness you desire
spray lots of clear coat to protect the paint
sand it down using 1500grit to get the orange peal effect away
use rubbing compound
then wax it till it gets it shiny.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery

I used House of Color black Car Paint that was thinned out. Three light coats and 3 coats of car grade clear. THey are glossy and VERY dark but the light shines through VERY well.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post

I used House of Color black Car Paint that was thinned out. Three light coats and 3 coats of car grade clear. THey are glossy and VERY dark but the light shines through VERY well.
NOt a bad idea. As long as the light gets through it's good.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #8
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack48 View Post
NOt a bad idea. As long as the light gets through it's good.
Yeah I'll go take a pic
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Yeah I'll go take a pic
At night it shines well on mine. During the day they might be questionable. But I've had cops around me before with them during the day and have yet to get pulled over for them.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #10
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery

Sorry no ones with reverse or with brakes on. I don't have a person to help me take a picture right now haha
Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i guess i dont get it. the trucks look great! but the brake lights are for safety, right? i would want them brighter, not dimmer.

i drive regularly in very dense fog..i want my brake lights simmering bright.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #12

they look real good... wish i could find a quick and easy way to do it...i dont have a lot of time on my hands cuz of freakin homework, and workin out for the air force rotc
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
i guess i dont get it. the trucks look great! but the brake lights are for safety, right? i would want them brighter, not dimmer.

i drive regularly in very dense fog..i want my brake lights simmering bright.
I think its safer (my veiw) because during the day they are still super bright and change from black to red. People can see I'm braking easier. also It passes all DOT tests in brightness.

EDIT: But I completely understand where you are coming from about the safety issue if you were to do them too dark.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #14
Keep it simple. Keep it positive.
bmxican is on a distinguished road

bmxican's Tacoma Gallery
check out my tails. I used tamiya ts-71 smoke spray. thats all you need! get two cans they come out glossy and smooth out evenly on its own
Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #15
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
I don't get why people sand down the VHT stuff. It doesn't say anything about sanding or adding clear on the instructions. It's all in how you spray it.

I have tail light covers if you want them, OP.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i did vht niteshades, turned out well
Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #17
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Here's my Tails...I used VHT Nite Shades. I didn't sand em down afterwards or any thing like that cause I like the matt black look better than shiney
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ast-night.html
Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viet2100 View Post
I don't get why people sand down the VHT stuff. It doesn't say anything about sanding or adding clear on the instructions. It's all in how you spray it.

I have tail light covers if you want them, OP.
You wet sand em down first to promote adhesion
Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #19
wareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
wareagle5693's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
You wet sand em down first to promote adhesion
We wet sanded mine and didn't use a clear coat, and they're perfectly fine still.... They do seem to be becoming less black and more of a purple tho

Might have to redo mine soon. Btw we used VHF niteshade on mine.