1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting Black Rims: Satin to Flat Black?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 808Raider, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Jan 3, 2010 at 1:03 AM
    808Raider

808Raider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    I painted my rims a while back with the krylon satin black. I've had a little chipping esp. with the plastic hubcaps (i think i should have used adhesion promoter oops) and I think flat black would look a lot better rather than touch everything up. This seems like a stupid question but can I just add some new coats of flat black over the satin without any problems and it would look pretty good?

2. Jan 3, 2010 at 1:06 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    I did mine with engine enamel this weekend and based off the can, it sounded like as long as there has been enough time to cure it would be alright. You may want to still light sand it to make sure there's a surface for the new paint to stick to though IMHO. Good luck

3. Jan 3, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Clean really well and do a quick scrub with some sandpaper or a green pad to have a good surface. I would spend more time on those caps if you don't want to have issues with the chipping continuing.

4. Jan 3, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Is the paint falling off ? or being scratched off ?
    if its falling off, then they were not prep'd good before painting. if this is the case repainting them will not solve the problem. you would need to resand them down to the orginal paint (gray). as long as the gray is scuff sanded it should give a good base to paint on. if the black is holding good, then just scuff sand the black and repainting shouldn't be a problem

my rim paint job - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/51358-painting-stock-rims-easy.html

5. Jan 4, 2010 at 3:55 AM
    808Raider

808Raider [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawai'i
    The paint is not falling off just scratching here and there. I was having trouble with snapping one of my hubcabs back in so I started over and pryed it off then put it back on which is where most of my damage was done.:( I don't think the paint was cured all of the way and I already touched it up alittle but it doesn't look very good b/c it doesn't fill the scratches. I can only imagine how much chipping and damage I'm going to do when I rotate my tires!! Any suggestions for prying off the hubcaps without scratching the rim? I already used a towel like in the manual and put a sock around the tool too but it didn't protect the rim much. And maybe sanding down the old scratches and then repainting would help the scratches disappear and the rims would look better? I'd like to redo the hubcaps again somehow and use adhesion promoter since touching them up is a pain.

6. May 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM
    xxcjtxx

xxcjtxx Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport Black on Black
    I'm trying to decide between satin and flat do you happen to have pictures of both since you had them?

7. May 11, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    flat... i went with satin and regret it, when it gets warm I'm going to flat.

8. May 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I found the semi-gloss black was perfect.

[​IMG]

9. May 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    flat will be really hard to clean... unless you shoot it with clear afterwards....

i used krylon satin black on mine and after a year they dont have any scratches at all....

10. May 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM
    xxcjtxx

xxcjtxx Member

Member:
    First Name:
    CJ
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport Black on Black
    im not gonna clear mine just keep it flat so its easier to touch up

anyone ever spray their tires standing up?

the last ones i did i sprayed them laying down and the can started dripping and left some spots

11. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    Chopper84

Chopper84 Q*bert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    North East Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmax SR5 4x4
    Ready lift with 20 inch rims and 37 murders. 20% tint all around and 50% on front. Stubby antenna led build in third brake light bed light and interior lights.
    you can also use any finish paint and finish with a flat clear and it will give the flat look. I work for lowes and did the test with the rep from valspar and it worked using a gloss first then a flat clear.

Products Discussed in

To Top