Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting Black Rims: Satin to Flat Black?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 AM   #1
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Black Rims: Satin to Flat Black?

I painted my rims a while back with the krylon satin black. I've had a little chipping esp. with the plastic hubcaps (i think i should have used adhesion promoter oops) and I think flat black would look a lot better rather than touch everything up. This seems like a stupid question but can I just add some new coats of flat black over the satin without any problems and it would look pretty good?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine with engine enamel this weekend and based off the can, it sounded like as long as there has been enough time to cure it would be alright. You may want to still light sand it to make sure there's a surface for the new paint to stick to though IMHO. Good luck
Old 01-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Is the paint falling off ? or being scratched off ?
if its falling off, then they were not prep'd good before painting. if this is the case repainting them will not solve the problem. you would need to resand them down to the orginal paint (gray). as long as the gray is scuff sanded it should give a good base to paint on. if the black is holding good, then just scuff sand the black and repainting shouldn't be a problem

my rim paint job - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...rims-easy.html
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #5
State of Mind
808Raider is on a distinguished road

808Raider's Tacoma Gallery
The paint is not falling off just scratching here and there. I was having trouble with snapping one of my hubcabs back in so I started over and pryed it off then put it back on which is where most of my damage was done. I don't think the paint was cured all of the way and I already touched it up alittle but it doesn't look very good b/c it doesn't fill the scratches. I can only imagine how much chipping and damage I'm going to do when I rotate my tires!! Any suggestions for prying off the hubcaps without scratching the rim? I already used a towel like in the manual and put a sock around the tool too but it didn't protect the rim much. And maybe sanding down the old scratches and then repainting would help the scratches disappear and the rims would look better? I'd like to redo the hubcaps again somehow and use adhesion promoter since touching them up is a pain.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
xxcjtxx is on a distinguished road
Name: CJ
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to decide between satin and flat do you happen to have pictures of both since you had them?
Old 05-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
flat... i went with satin and regret it, when it gets warm I'm going to flat.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I found the semi-gloss black was perfect.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
flat will be really hard to clean... unless you shoot it with clear afterwards....

i used krylon satin black on mine and after a year they dont have any scratches at all....
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
xxcjtxx is on a distinguished road
Name: CJ
xxcjtxx's Tacoma Gallery
im not gonna clear mine just keep it flat so its easier to touch up

anyone ever spray their tires standing up?

the last ones i did i sprayed them laying down and the can started dripping and left some spots
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #11
Keep Trucking
Chopper84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Chopper84's Tacoma Gallery
you can also use any finish paint and finish with a flat clear and it will give the flat look. I work for lowes and did the test with the rep from valspar and it worked using a gloss first then a flat clear.