Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

URD Short Throw is AMAZING

Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
URD Short Throw is AMAZING

My wife ordered me the URD short throw 6 speed shifter. Install took me more than 10 minutes like the directions said. I took my time and the installation was pretty basic. You do need to buy red locktite, a metal punch, a hook tool to remove the bushing (this worked great) and black silicone.

The shifting performance is night and day. Each shift is so crisp. It's hard to describe, but there is no more slop...each shift has a firm mechanical feel that clicks into each gear. I always had a hard time finding 3rd, and this set up goes right into it smooth. I have absolutely no complaints with this product. I wish I had done this mod years ago. My shifting is smooth and flawless like an auto tranny. If you hate how your 6 speed feels, spend the $150 and get this kit.
Attached Thumbnails
URD Short Throw is AMAZING-001.jpg   URD Short Throw is AMAZING-005.jpg   URD Short Throw is AMAZING-006.jpg   URD Short Throw is AMAZING-009.jpg   URD Short Throw is AMAZING-008.jpg  

Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of06stex has much to be proud of

Name: Alex
06stex's Tacoma Gallery
Thats good to hear, i really enjoyed mine when i had it on except when engaging into reverse but other than that it is amazing. Contemplating whether or not to put mine up for sale, im so use to the 6 speed the slop appears the norm now. Glad to hear the good news though, have a great evening.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I love what it's done for my 5 speed. Just wish the install was as easy as on the 6 spd. I could only get to the rear bolts on the shifter top plate from under the truck
Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
mmm makes me wish I had the 6spd now... the slop was a big reason I didn't want it... aside from the other issues like to bearing issues and such.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
leochup is on a distinguished road
leochup's Tacoma Gallery
How is it when the transmission is cold, is it really notchy and hard to shift?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
BSP4x4
BSP4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by leochup View Post
How is it when the transmission is cold, is it really notchy and hard to shift?
The fluid is cold?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I do find the tranny to be harder to shift when cold but it smooths out right away after a mile or so. The fluid change to synthetic also helped out. I also noticed this gets better as I accumulate more miles. (8K)
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
ProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the roughProtoJ is a jewel in the rough
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
The transmission is equally as difficult to shift (at first) when cold as without the URD Short Throw. But like others said, after a mile of driving, everything feels fine. I can't think of any disadvantages to this set up. I wish Toyota would have made these improvements from the factory. It gives the truck and more car like feeling shifter. My only problem is now I drive it like a sports car and my MPG is going down.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoJ View Post
The transmission is equally as difficult to shift (at first) when cold as without the URD Short Throw. But like others said, after a mile of driving, everything feels fine. I can't think of any disadvantages to this set up. I wish Toyota would have made these improvements from the factory. It gives the truck and more car like feeling shifter. My only problem is now I drive it like a sports car and my MPG is going down.
With the URD or TRD, I've heard that it's harder to get in reverse?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
ProtoJ's Tacoma Gallery
With the URD it is harder to get into reverse...but not enough to deter anyone from installing one. It is still smooth getting into reverse, just requires more force because the leverage is a little different with a shorter throw shifter.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Maui
napiliboy47 is on a distinguished road
napiliboy47's Tacoma Gallery
do you mind posting the hook tool and the metal punch you used? im gonna do this install when it comes in the mail but i just wanna make sure i have everything i need. also, did you use locktite on the four 6mm allens? thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #13
bkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Brandon
bkthompson6's Tacoma Gallery
So I am getting ready to buy a short throw shifter. URD = $149.00 w/$9.75 shipping. TRD = $295.00 w/$17.60 shipping. Why such a price difference? Any recommendations on which one i should get? I dont have a warranty so I'm not worried about that. Obviously I'm leaning towards the cheaper one but should I not be? please advise
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
usnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Air Traffic Controller First Class
Name: Clark
usnatclee's Tacoma Gallery
subscribed...I just bought the URD stage III competition clutch because I hate the stock clutch and wanna combine it with a short throw shifter.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Taco Man Sam
Ese Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ese Loco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
subscribed...I just bought the URD stage III competition clutch because I hate the stock clutch and wanna combine it with a short throw shifter.
how does the performance clutch compare to the stock?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....
Mr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the roughMr_Torque is a jewel in the rough

Mr_Torque's Tacoma Gallery
The URD has an extension that slips on the stock shifter while the TRD is a complete new shifter.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthompson6 View Post
So I am getting ready to buy a short throw shifter. URD = $149.00 w/$9.75 shipping. TRD = $295.00 w/$17.60 shipping. Why such a price difference? Any recommendations on which one i should get? I dont have a warranty so I'm not worried about that. Obviously I'm leaning towards the cheaper one but should I not be? please advise
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnatclee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post
damn gadget at URD raised the price
Sounds like maybe we should get a group buy going Im in if we do.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
bkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to beholdbkthompson6 is a splendid one to behold
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Brandon
bkthompson6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Torque View Post
The URD has an extension that slips on the stock shifter while the TRD is a complete new shifter.
So what do you guys recommend? URD? Is it easy to install?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #20
usnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to beholdusnatclee is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Air Traffic Controller First Class
Name: Clark
usnatclee's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure yet I will let you know how it drives compared to stock. It is supposed to engage quicker and a lot stronger.