1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ABS on this truck is dangerous...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    QFwABS?

2. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    SMH

3. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:38 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    TMI

4. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
  5. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    S...t..a....a...a...a...a...a...a...a...a...a...a...a...h...p

6. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:44 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    :smack:

N n n o o o o o o o o o o o o!

7. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:46 AM
    Boone

Boone Vaginas are rad.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    Airbags deployed
    Beavising a beavis'd thread is beavis'd.

8. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    That was my ABS kickin in...soorry (insert Canadian bacon accent here).

9. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    [​IMG]

10. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Because : "Quote from FSM"

Not sure how system would know exactly what to do with out having some weight table saying how to behave when truck is loaded or not.
    In Old days that was solved by valve on the back of axle that closed open based on more weight or less on the back. Since this is now electronic I am pretty sure system calculates this based on the range (truck empty <> Truck fully loaded towing 6500 LB trailer)

That would explain why is over sensitive on empty, and when it kicks in in (Non TRD offroad trucks) simply makes stopping impossible.

Why non TRD Ofroad - look at attached picture. There is no way to send pressure to other wheel while ABS is running. There are only two lines from master cylinder, Front and Back. So if L Wheel on the front slips, R wheel will no longer be getting brake force. ABSUnit.jpg

11. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    TacomaRobert

TacomaRobert Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well of course. If something mechanical isn't working properly, then it's not going to work properly. That's not the point here.

Computer programmers (or firmware programmers) are often times -- morons. If you don't agree with this then either you've never used a smart phone or computer ever in life.

Fact number 1: Algorithms ... can ... be ... far ... worse ... than ... a ... mechanical ... device.

Fact number 2: Algorithms ... are ... based ... on ... assumptions. Reality ... sometimes ... breaks .... those ... assumptions.

Opinion number 1: In my personal opinion, it has been show that Toyota ABS is one example of a algorithm that fails under certain circumstances.

Evidence number 1: There are numerous people here who have detailed those exact circumstances.

12. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Mikelu

Mikelu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cupertino, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    According to this article, pickup trucks do not have 4-channel ABS. The ABS system on the Tacoma is different on the 2005-2010 models than the 2011 to present models. It seems as if the ABS on my 2014 is slightly better than on my 2005. Here's some of the information from the referenced article. If there is just a single line teed to the rear brakes, it cannot be 4-channel ABS.

Three-channel, four-sensor ABSThere is a speed sensor on all four wheels and a separate valve for each of the front wheels, but only one valve for both of the rear wheels. Older vehicles with four-wheel ABS usually use this type.Three-channel, three-sensor ABSThis scheme, commonly found on pickup trucks with four-wheel ABS, has a speed sensor and a valve for each of the front wheels, with one valve and one sensor for both rear wheels. The speed sensor for the rear wheels is located in the rear axle. This system provides individual control of the front wheels, so they can both achieve maximum braking force. The rear wheels, however, are monitored together; they both have to start to lock up before the ABS will activate on the rear. With this system, it is possible that one of the rear wheels will lock during a stop, reducing brake effectiveness. This system is easy to identify, as there are no individual speed sensors for the rear wheels.Two-channel, four sensor ABSThis system, commonly found on passenger cars from the late '80s through early 2000s (before government mandated stability control), uses a speed sensor at each wheel, with one control valve each for the front and rear wheels as a pair. If the speed sensor detect lock up at any individual wheel, the control module pulses the valve for both wheels on that end of the car.One-channel, one-sensor ABSThis system is commonly found on pickup trucks with rear-wheel ABS. It has one valve, which controls both rear wheels, and one speed sensor, located in the rear axle. This system operates the same as the rear end of a three-channel system. The rear wheels are monitored together and they both have to start to lock up before the ABS kicks in. In this system it is also possible that one of the rear wheels will lock, reducing brake effectiveness. This system is also easy to identify, as there are no individual speed sensors for any of the wheels.

13. Dec 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    Mikelu

Mikelu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cupertino, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    If you have a loaded truck, the weight will hold the rear tires down better, preventing soft-contact skid. Normally, the rear brakes contribute very little to stopping, but they contribute more when a truck is loaded. Before ABS, there was a differential pressure valve in the 1989-2004 trucks that sensed the bed rising up and reduced the brake pressure on the rear wheels. This prevented situations where the back of the truck would try to pass the front of the truck.

14. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    Mikelu

Mikelu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cupertino, CA
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma 4x4 TRD
    When people say that their ABS system isn't working, I think that it is important to know the year of the truck because it makes a big difference. Like I said, the ABS on my 2005 (2005-2010 models) didn't work in any situation; but it seems to be working better on my 2014 (2011-present models). Conclusion: ABS may NOT be dangerous on ALL Tacoma models.

15. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    ABS = Antilock Brake System
    ABP - Automatic Brake Proportiong

Two different concepts, utilizing potentially the same output transducers,(just like ATRAC needs control of individual brake pistons/cylinders)

ABS is not ABP; ABP is not ABS, though both systems are designed to improve safety and control.of the vehicle.

16. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:24 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    ABS does work in 2005-2010 models, It should however been disabled at low speeds, say less than 15km/ht (approx 10mph).

17. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I have an '09 ACB. It has never given me a problem. As you are saying it works great :notsure:

18. Dec 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    ABS sucks in snow , I thought we established this already

19. Dec 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    Apparently I was not asked in the establishment of any opinion.

I happen to like ABS in the snow, unless I am intentionally trying to slide my truck out, then it sucks.

Now its established.

Edit: IMO of course.

20. Dec 30, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.