LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Why a Tacoma?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
shakao will become famous soon enoughshakao will become famous soon enough
shakao's Tacoma Gallery
Why a Tacoma?

Im just curious. Maybe there's a thread like this already but, why did you buy a Tacoma? Why not any other mid size trucks in the same class; Frontier, Dakota, Ranger (im serious) etc. etc.

Me, Ive always owned Toyotas. Never had a problem with them. I actually wanted a Ram 1500, but heard numerous problems with them. Went to the dealership looking for a black or silver Taco, cause that speedway blue just didnt look right in pictures. But saw a brand new SWB still on the truck and that color was super sharp.. just stood out. Walked out with a new truck FTW.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Why? Because I didn't want to drive a POS. I wanted something reliable something that would last a long time.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
resale, looks, reliable and a large selection of aftermarket parts
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
because my ranger sucked
Old 01-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted either a frontier or taco. They're stand out above the others. The frontiers have a few problems with them but they're still a good truck. The V6 gas mileage of the 1st gen frontiers suck though and I do a lot of driving. My father in law had a 97 taco and loved it. The taco was really the only good truck out there. Why spend thousands of dollars on some other piece of junk. I want a good return for my money. I got it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
( . Y . ) = :)
TacoTRD420 will become famous soon enough

Name: Jake
TacoTRD420's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TacoTRD420
Its simply the best...
Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Blue Ten is a glorious beacon of lightBlue Ten is a glorious beacon of lightBlue Ten is a glorious beacon of lightBlue Ten is a glorious beacon of lightBlue Ten is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Gregg
Blue Ten's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at:
Chevy Colorado - too small and too weak
Chevy Silverado - more expensive, less reliable
Ford Ranger - no 4 door available w/o going to the sporttrac which was $5,000 - $10,000 more
Ford F-150 - more expensive, less reliable
Dodge Dakota - less reliable
Dodge Ram - less mpg
Nissan Frontier - less reliable (I sold my Nissan to buy the Tacoma)
Titan and Tundra - too big for my needs

These are all my personal experiences. They will differ from state-to-state and city-to-city. However, I got a TRD OR which is a more reliable, sufficient truck for my needs and I stayed under 30,000 for a '10. No other truck offered that. I took 3 years to decide (of course, I took almost 6 months to decide on a lawn mower). I'm pretty analytical and no other truck even came close to the Tacoma. On a scale of 1-10, the Tacoma was a 9 and all the rest were 7's or below. If I could've bought the Tacoma for around 27k to 28k, it'd would've been a perfect 10.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
resale, looks, reliable and a large selection of aftermarket parts
x2
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
why not...?
Old 01-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
where can't I go?
AZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to beholdAZCOMA is a splendid one to behold

Name: Kacey
AZCOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigzor View Post
x2
x2
Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
-Resale Value
-Needed a doublecab for dogs and other passengers
-Reliability
-American vehicles are junk
-I like the looks of the tacoma
-Fits in my garage (BARELY!)
-Decent gas mileage for a truck
-Its a Toyota Truck
-American vehicles are junk x2
-Did I mention the kickass resale value compared to the others?
-Wanted something that would be capable of offroading if I needed to.
-Decent towing capacity for midsized truck.
-I wanted something that I can drive for a long time
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Wanna know how I got these scars?
BigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigBawlzTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
BigBawlzTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
-Resale Value
-Needed a doublecab for dogs and other passengers
-Reliability
-American vehicles are junk
-I like the looks of the tacoma
-Fits in my garage (BARELY!)
-Decent gas mileage for a truck
-Its a Toyota Truck
-American vehicles are junk x2
-Did I mention the kickass resale value compared to the others?
-Wanted something that would be capable of offroading if I needed to.
-Decent towing capacity for midsized truck.
-I wanted something that I can drive for a long time

X2
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
The G stands for smooth
Gsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shedGsquare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GG
Gsquare's Tacoma Gallery
Because of this site after I dropped the front tranny on my Silverado just 1,000 miles out of warranty.

Happy now!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
NorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to beholdNorthXNorthwest is a splendid one to behold
Army: Tanker 3/7Inf, 3ID---25A 1-82 CAV, Bend OR
NorthXNorthwest's Tacoma Gallery
Always admired the tacomas not massive like the big 3 trucks and historically reliability was great.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Colorado is crap, I had a Ranger and it was complete crap, the Ridgeline isn't a truck and the Frontier isn't that great from what I hear. Also I have always heard about Toyota reliability. My uncle had a 1970 Toyota Corona that when we sold was still running perfectly with about 350,000 miles on it. In its life it needed a carb rebuild and an alternator. My buddies with Toyota have also have very good experiences with their vehicles. I tried to get a Silverado before I looked at my Toyota but only because I thought I could get a better deal on one. Nope. I got the deal on the Toyota. No regrets here at all since I bought my truck on 12/19/2009. I love my truck.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #16
Joe Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Joe Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I couldn't afford another 4Runner.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
1-Looks
2-Resale value
3-It's a toyota
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i came from a 96 chevy ZR-2 pickup.
chevy mechanic got metal fibers into the oil, and blew the motor up. i got a free crate motor. drove it for 60k miles, and then the seal btwn the tranny and transfer case failed and drained my tranny. (no visible leaks), and my tranny blew up. i had little incentive to buy a new truck, so i ponied up the $3400 cash and bought a new box. i drove it relentlessly. the heater coil started to fail, and so did the steering box...i cried "uncle", and sold it. w/ 100k miles. for $2500. truck looked GREAT!

during ownership, i changed out all the steering parts..ball joints, everything. my friend pulled up with his 1st gen, with 200k miles, and said...hey, i never did this repair on my truck. i knew my next rig would be a tacoma.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
#1 - Reliability
#2 - Resale
#3 - Looks
Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #20
z33tec is on a distinguished road

z33tec's Tacoma Gallery
Reliability and bang for the buck. No other truck compared to it that I test drove. Interior is way more refined than any GM truck. Didn't want a full size.