1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access cab door 'thunk' dealer is puzzled but investigating ...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by pa_tekrep, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    pa_tekrep

pa_tekrep [OP] Member

Member:
    Etters Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma trd off road
    Here is another strange one...

I am a very happy owner of a three day old 2010 Tacoma TRD Off Road access cab in silver.

In the show room I was looking at the four door cab and it's doors had that familiar Toyota quality door 'thunk' Know what I mean?

Anyway, my access cab requires some force to latch, it took my wife three tries to get it latched. On the day I bought it I negotiated running boards as part of the deal and the dealer said he would investigate/fix the doors.

... fast forward ... Soooo, The running boards came in today and I dropped off the truck and on a hunch/whim/???, I asked my sales rep to check another access cab for the door thunk. (I'm a curious guy).

Well lo and behold this second truck has the same issue. You really have to close the door harder than the four door model, or my wife's Camry, or the '08 Highlander I traded for the Tacoma. And it does not have the quality thunk I expect from Toyota. My salesman asked me if I would post this ? on the forum - I was anyway, but we are both puzzled - I will also post what the service department says when I pick up my truck on Thursday.

Sooooo, my question has anyone else noticed this on their access cabs?

Thanks,

A new Taco owner in PA.

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    08 access cab here, doors close like butter.

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    my 05 closes fine
    but I bet they put in more weatherstripping or somehow made it so they dont rattle around, like mine do sometimes.

4. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    trd09

trd09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    NW Ark
    Vehicle:
    17 TRD Pro 6AT
    there was an update to the 09 latch. they made it beefier to improve crash protection.

and mine shuts normally. doesn't sound awesome and once in a while it doesn't shut, but nothing i'd complain about.

5. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM
    warpwr

warpwr Junior Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vaughn
    S.F. Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 Sport Access Cab
    DRL mod with switch, rear spring TSB, trans TSB, tailgate mod, snug-top shell.
    My front doors close fine but like you say they do have that un-quality cheesy sound.
    I raised the issue with the dealer and they adjusted them but it's still the same.
    I also went out on the lot and tried a few other access cabs. Same thing.

So I suspect that it's because the front door latches onto the back door that they can't get that good solid sound.

True that the double cabs sound much better and all of my 4Runners are perfect.

6. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    BPachom

BPachom Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5, 4cyl 4X4, Black
    Access roll-up tonneau cover, Factory radio W/Sirius, Tailgate clamp, HID head lights, Stainless nerf bars.

2009 Tacoma access cab, no problems with either of the rear doors which the I use the driver's side almost every day.

7. Jan 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    z33tec

z33tec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    I have an 09 access cab. When I first got it, I noticed I had to close my doors a bit harder than I normally would in order for the little blinking door light to go off. The doors close just fine now without having to shut them hard. They started closing easier after maybe a couple thousand miles, maybe less?

Maybe the guy above who mentioned weatherstripping had the right idea? Maybe you just have to break them in a bit.

I don't know if closing the doors harder than normal is what you are describing. Mine wasn't any severe issue that alarmed me. Just had to remember to slam the door a bit harder than normal. There was no clunk or anything. Door sounded like a normal door closing.

8. Jan 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    RWS_350MAG

RWS_350MAG Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    Toytec Ultimate lift, Tailgate anti-theft mod, 265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires on stock rims, Lakeland Predator Cap, Rear seat headrests removed, Husky Floorliners
    The back doors on my '10 A/C close just as nice as the fronts do. I don't have to slam any of the doors to get them to latch properly.
    Maybe the guys on the line at NUMMI are giving less of a shit towards the quality of the current trucks, since they will be out of a job pretty soon.

9. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:32 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Have an '07 and have no problems with the doors. They all close with the thunk.

10. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    If the suicide door is hard to shut the door latch is not properly adjusted. The drivers side door on my '09 Access Cab was much more difficult to close than the passenger side. I loosened the loop on the top of the body (using a star bit) and was able to shift it out just a smidgen. Now it closes properly, with the "thunk" I expected from Toyota.

11. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:51 AM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    My 09 does the same thing... Takes a good bit of force to completely close. My father got out of the passenger side one evening and it did not shut off all the way, so the light was left on all night and almost drained my battery. It was a bit of a nuisance for the first couple of months, but I'm used to it now. I only have this issue with the main doors, not the suicide ones.

12. Jan 6, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    My Acc Cab doors dont require as much effort to close as the regular doors. Often my girfriend slams the acc cab door and it kind of pisses me off cause its so loud in the cabin. The regular doors take a bit more effort to close and dont clunk like the acc cab doors do. I like that I can "slam" the regular doors shut and not have the loud clunk.

Products Discussed in

To Top