Notices

DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission

Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
Tripletpkc is on a distinguished road
Name: Pete
Tripletpkc's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission oil results of early flush really needs to be done or not

Excellent write up.
I was wondering if Mountain Lion got his oil condition sample results (results to affirm whether or not this early of a flush really needs to be done or not) back from Blackstone. Maybe I just missed the updated post. Has anyone seen the results?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #23
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletpkc View Post
Excellent write up.
I was wondering if Mountain Lion got his oil condition sample results (results to affirm whether or not this early of a flush really needs to be done or not) back from Blackstone. Maybe I just missed the updated post. Has anyone seen the results?
Interested in this also. Reports from bobistheoilguy suggests Toyota WS begins to shear way before the 100K.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for sticky
Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
awesome write up... first one ive seen about the 4.0 liter tranny, i have the TRD 4x4, is this the same tranny??
Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Get job. I'm really interested in the oil analysis. Any word yet?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #28
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
How about if you not only used the tranny's pump to drain the old but how about putting the return line in a container of fresh fluid? Would it suck up the new and would it do so at a similar rate as the discharge?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTO View Post
How about if you not only used the tranny's pump to drain the old but how about putting the return line in a container of fresh fluid? Would it suck up the new and would it do so at a similar rate as the discharge?
Doubtful. If the tranny uses a gear pump the return line would not have any vacuum on it. Relying strictly on the pressure exerted by the pump. You might be able to use a gravity system on the return line to add fluid, but the levels need to be watched very closely. If you could setup a sealed system that used two tanks and air pressure from the expelled fluid to force new fluid in it might work. You'd still want to start by draining the pan and adding clean fluid...
Old 03-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #30
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking about trying the gravity feed method.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #31
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Helpful. At what mileage should this service be done?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #32
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
how much is this service at Toyota?

I mean, you just paid $150 for just the fluids.....

And update on oil results?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 PM   #33
It's a work in progress.
LeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeadFootCaliKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
LeadFootCaliKid's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Helpful. At what mileage should this service be done?
Around 100K. Toyota says 90k I think.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM   #34
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFootCaliKid View Post
Thankks but why did he do it at 45? Just to do it?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #35
mountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant future
mountain lion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
how much is this service at Toyota?

I mean, you just paid $150 for just the fluids.....

And update on oil results?
They will not do this service at Toyota for you. They do the drain fill which is 4 qts of WS. It's not a full flush.

I paid $105 + $10 Amsoil premier account for the 14 qts I used. $115 total. The dealership isn't going to get close to that price and only use 1/3 of the fluid. Last I was quoted was around $180 w/ discount.

Quote:
This doesn't even make sense. If Toyota says 90, why would do 100 then? Don't spread misinformation.

The recommendations are 60k mile interval for severe usage. IE towing, excessive city driving, off road, etc. This really is most city owners.

Standard is / (was?) 100k miles, but reports are saying they're bringing it back down to 60k miles regardless of severe classified use or not. This was posted somewhere on TW from a valid source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Thankks but why did he do it at 45? Just to do it?
Partly yes, and partly because I don't trust the WS fluid to last that long - especially to 100k.

I still have the original sample fluid in the garage. I didn't get it tested yet. I forgot but also I knew the results would be skewed with breakin metals. I need to have TBN on it, but just didn't feel like spending the $35 at the time. I'll send it in at some point, maybe with another UOA.

If you trust it to 100k miles, that's fine. If your mom and dad bought your truck for you and you don't care about it, that's fine too. For the rest of us who like preventative maintenance - here's how to do it.

If you have any other questions, just PM me - I'm still around and don't need the thread filled up with bad info or people answering on my behalf.

Quote:
I have no idea. Maybe there wasn't a write up for it yet and he wanted to be the first. "Fuck the other 50k, I wanna be TW famous."
There isn't a write up other than ForTech's drain/fill process - and I did it for myself and for everyone here to benefit from who wants to go a step further. If you've got nothing constructive to add (which you haven't), move along. If this helped you out, throw up a thanks or send me a PM if you have another question.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #36
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have no idea. Maybe there wasn't a write up for it yet and he wanted to be the first. "Fuck the other 50k, I wanna be TW famous."
Blake,

Sarcasm and joking around are not well understood all the time in the forums. Oftentimes misunderstandings develop over this. When I saw your post I understood it same as mountain lion, I thought you were pissed off or something.

If you intend sarcasm in your post, please it helps to use one of these --->

Or maybe a big fat grin --->

All the best,

-Crom
Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #37
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i'm just glad you didn't accidently drain your engine oil while doing this.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #38
Wrencher86 is on a distinguished road
Wrencher86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
...If you could setup a sealed system that used two tanks and air pressure from the expelled fluid to force new fluid in it might work. You'd still want to start by draining the pan and adding clean fluid...

That is exactly how a lot of trans flush machines works. I'm really surprised to hear that Toyota only does drain and fills at the dealer. This is a great write-up. But what a pain in the ass.

One more reason to drive a manual, I guess.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #39
NyQuil on the rocks.
nuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to all

nuckinfuts's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up! I went to 3 local dealers trying to get a cost for the full flush. 1 of them said they don't even do it, another said they would but they don't have the right machine (apparently need a separate machine just for WS), and the third, Michael's Toyota in Bellevue, said I don't need to do it, but they will if I want them to. They quoted me $260. I'm not sure if they have a separate machine or if one is even needed, but the lack of consistency between shops made me a bit leery. That and the price of course.

I did the drain/fill myself, thinking of tackling this full flush at some point. Glad to know there's a good DIY!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #40
mountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant futuremountain lion has a brilliant future
mountain lion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You make a good point. Sorry. Written text is very hard to sense the tone meant for the statement. I can understand that, but there's really no need to be a dick to people for knowing the wrong information or for not searching extensively for the answer for their question before asking it.

Thanks for being understanding Crom.
Blake
No hard feelings dude, I didn't read it as a joke - and a lot of work went into all this - I just wanted to keep things on track, apologies from my end too.