Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission

Old 04-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #141
pavemobile will become famous soon enoughpavemobile will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 20th SOS Helicopter Mech - Retired
pavemobile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post
Did you have to replace the pan gasket or place a thin film of RTV on the pan's lip to seal it up? Any leaks?

Well done, BTW!
Thanks, it looked better internally in some ways and worse in others once I got it opened up. I used a new OEM pan gasket (Fel-Pro gasket looks identical, have one for the below 4Runner project) with no sealer and followed the service manual torque spec's for everything. Pan bolts are 39 INCH POUNDS...there are 20 and I did them in 2 stages, 25 then 39 in/lbs. I started in the middle and went clockwise and made I think 3 rounds to stabilize the torque before the next step to 39 in/lbs and made 4 rounds at 39 just to make sure. Probably overkill but WTH. No leaks, and I check every morning and evening. That picture of shavings is from inside the factory filter, I uncrimped the edges to get a look inside...curiosity and all. Not nearly the metal we used to find in the older GM tranny's - T350, 400, and 200-4R O/D in particular. I wanted to keep this truck a while so this was the last 36K checkup action to perform. I ordered the high heat neodynium magnets from KJ Magnetics, maybe spent 40 bucks or so.

I'm going to help my future son-in-law with his 4Runner pretty soon, he doesn't have the courage to do this on his own, or maybe it's the free labor, food & adult refreshments! Anyway, thanks for everyone's efforts in putting this together. I didn't have any issues with anything while in process.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 AM   #142
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacemanSpiff View Post
Wait a minute, unless I am reading this wrong, you drained and refilled 3 times, right? And was this all at the same time, or how much time elapsed in between said drain/refills? If you just kept doing it over and over, then didn't you only change what's in the pan 3 times? And waste a lot of new ATF in the process?
you read it wrong. The drain process is not from the pan, draining is done at the return line. Effectively the new fluid is pushing out the old fluid, although yes some of the new fluid is wasted.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #143
Callahan2010 is on a distinguished road
Army: Diesel Mechanic
Name: Chris
Callahan2010's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome write up with great pictures. I am eager to hear about the results!! I have just purchased a 2010 with 43,000 miles on it, and just discovered today that there is no dipstick on this model!! As a diesel mechanic, I think this is the dumbest idea a manufacturer could have done!! Im not going 100,000 miles before I change my tranny oil!!
Old 05-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #144
Twatwaffles will become famous soon enough

Twatwaffles's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have any idea what the ATF capacity is with the tow package?
Old 05-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #145
pavemobile will become famous soon enoughpavemobile will become famous soon enough
Air Force: 20th SOS Helicopter Mech - Retired
pavemobile's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't try a fluid exchange with anything less than 12-13 qts. That's cutting it too close. if you are still under powertrain warranty and plan to keep it, use Toyota WS. That way if something happens at least they can't raise a fuss. It'll cost a little but look around for a case lot bargain. I am very happy with my fluid exchange and how my truck behaves now.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #146
stanleybb50 is on a distinguished road
stanleybb50's Tacoma Gallery
Did this today to my '06 v8 4runner 4wd. Same basic setup. I also opted to install a bigger transmission cooler (replaced the dinky little stock towing package one with a B&M 70264.) Tight fit, but I got it installed.

I only did the drain the pan, and one "starting the engine" for 3 more quarts for a total of around 7 quarts all-up. (I recommend a very good oil pump for the refills). Mine was a piece if #&*@ Harbor Freight unit that just sucked... I had half a quart spill ON ME both times I went for a refill... That's my biggest advice - get a good pump before you start... I was effing pissed... Lol

I'll probably do two more drain/fills with the left over fluid. But probably not until next year or something... Lol. Don't feel like getting back under there anytime soon...

Thanks for the great write up! If it means anything my 4runner has 60k miles and the fluid was very dark, but smelled exactly the same as the new stuff.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #147
Real TRDarded
TRDard is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
TRDard's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted to put some miles on the truck before I posted feedback...

My taco has 150,430 miles on her (still with OE fluid), I was starting to get shutters when it would shift 2nd-3rd and at times would have a delayed shifts. Now shifts smooth as butter, feels more responsive and I'm so thankful for this DIY, would not be able to do it without this.

Used 13.6 Qts of Toyota ATF-WS, about .7 qt came out at the leveling procedure, fluid looks bright red compared to brownish-black. This took close to 4 hours at a relaxed pace.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #148
Derfus is on a distinguished road

Derfus's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2008 Tacoma with 120k miles on the clock. I plan to do this flush in the next few days. I do have a question though: If we can pull the line and drain through the "push" side, could we do the same in the opposite line and let it "pull" new fluid at the same rate it was pulling?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfus View Post
I've got a 2008 Tacoma with 120k miles on the clock. I plan to do this flush in the next few days. I do have a question though: If we can pull the line and drain through the "push" side, could we do the same in the opposite line and let it "pull" new fluid at the same rate it was pulling?
I think I remember reading that there's no "siphon" coming from the return line actually - meaning it's not possible. Sadly. Good in theory though.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #150
acrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud ofacrossawire has much to be proud of
acrossawire's Tacoma Gallery
Better way to refill the transmission

Performed the full flush today- huge props to Mountain Lion for putting this together.

While reading through the posts, i gathered no one loves the screw on pump option or the harbor freight tool, so i had an idea. I pieced together another option to get the fluid into the trans- not rocket science, but i prefer it. hope it helps someone else.

DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission-img_2530.jpg
DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission-img_2533.jpg
DIY: Full Flush for Automatic Transmission-img_2534.jpg

Here's what you'll need:
  • 10 ft. Clear Braided Vinyl Tubing 5/8 ID
  • 5/8in. female end hose repair part
  • 2in galvanized pipe w/ 3/8in threads
  • 3/8in 90deg. male to female elbow (optional, but helpful)
  • (2) 1.25in diameter hose clamps
  • used quart container to use as a funnel

Screw the 3/8in pipe fitting directly into the fill hole where you removed the 24mm bolt. The threads are an exact fit. You'll need to do this before you attach the hose. My 2010 DC 4x4 had a tight fit by the fill hole, so the 90 elbow helped the hose from kinking. Add the hose, tighten with hose clamp, screw the quart funnel on the end with the hose repair part and you're good to go. Hang the funnel from the passenger mirror and you're got a much quicker & less messy way to fill your trans. Got it all for $25 at Home Depot.

BTW- This assembly works on the front & rear differentials as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #151
^^^wow - nice creation! And you just reminded me of how awful that was with what I think ended up being about a quart of fluid all over me.... LOL.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #152
holmeswilliam86 is on a distinguished road
Army: airborne
Name: William
holmeswilliam86's Tacoma Gallery
So my question is... at 100k would the pan need to be dropped and the screen be cleaned out? And if so how would we clean it?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #153
Scorpo900 is on a distinguished road

Name: luis
Scorpo900's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone figure out a way to install a dip stick on these transmissions?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #154
taco2010trd is on a distinguished road
taco2010trd's Tacoma Gallery
OP: Is this step necessary if I measure the amount of fluid taken out and put in?

Step 10: At this point you should have approximately the correct amount of fluid in the AT and everything is reconnected. It's time to perform the fluid level check to ensure that the right amount of fluid is in the transmission. I will briefly go over this as a great write up has already been done by ForTech (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html ). Do NOT use an IR thermometer - the pan reading won't be anywhere close to the internal temperature.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #155
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco2010trd View Post
OP: Is this step necessary if I measure the amount of fluid taken out and put in?

Step 10: At this point you should have approximately the correct amount of fluid in the AT and everything is reconnected. It's time to perform the fluid level check to ensure that the right amount of fluid is in the transmission. I will briefly go over this as a great write up has already been done by ForTech (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html ). Do NOT use an IR thermometer - the pan reading won't be anywhere close to the internal temperature.
Depends on how certain that you are that the correct fluid level was in there to begin with....
Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #157

I'll recheck next weekend, but I have the towing package and transmission oil cooler. After doing the flush (first time since bought new), replacing from the beginning (whole process) about 12 quarts. When did the temp check overfill procedure, it drained about 2 quarts... With that said, does the transmission with the towing package carries more oil? Or was it that from factory it came with an excess of 2 quarts? I was expecting an overfill drain of about 1/3 of a quart, not 2 quarts. So i put in 1/2 quart more, but the truck will sit for this week, till I can get this straighten out. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #158
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Working on this !
who is interested in a group buy on an aftermarket filler tube for your Aisn Warner A750E ?
Interested
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpo900 View Post
I'll recheck next weekend, but I have the towing package and transmission oil cooler. After doing the flush (first time since bought new), replacing from the beginning (whole process) about 12 quarts. When did the temp check overfill procedure, it drained about 2 quarts... With that said, does the transmission with the towing package carries more oil? Or was it that from factory it came with an excess of 2 quarts? I was expecting an overfill drain of about 1/3 of a quart, not 2 quarts. So i put in 1/2 quart more, but the truck will sit for this week, till I can get this straighten out. Thanks.
OK, based on all I read apparently my truck came with 2 quarts excess fluid in it. Toyoyakases apparently thought of putting more since it has the towing package cooler. So with that said and after running 86k miles with 2 extra quarts of fluid on it, I guess a little extra oil on the transmission don't do $heet to it. :/
Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 AM   #160
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Below is a good deal on e-bay for anyone who wants to do this with OEM WS Trans Fluid. The seller had a case of 12 for sale and I PM'd him and asked him to add 3 quarts and the 2 crush washers; he did just that within a few minutes and I immediately made the purchase. I ended up with 15 quarts and 2 crush washers with shipping included for $109.95:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11051...AMOTORS%3A1123

My truck has the tow package-I realize I may not need the 3 extra quarts but I can always save them for next time or opt to do a drain and fill in about 20k miles.