Originally Posted by DR Da_da
Did you have to replace the pan gasket or place a thin film of RTV on the pan's lip to seal it up? Any leaks?
Well done, BTW!
Thanks, it looked better internally in some ways and worse in others once I got it opened up. I used a new OEM pan gasket (Fel-Pro gasket looks identical, have one for the below 4Runner project) with no sealer and followed the service manual torque spec's for everything. Pan bolts are 39 INCH POUNDS...there are 20 and I did them in 2 stages, 25 then 39 in/lbs. I started in the middle and went clockwise and made I think 3 rounds to stabilize the torque before the next step to 39 in/lbs and made 4 rounds at 39 just to make sure. Probably overkill but WTH. No leaks, and I check every morning and evening. That picture of shavings is from inside the factory filter, I uncrimped the edges to get a look inside...curiosity and all. Not nearly the metal we used to find in the older GM tranny's - T350, 400, and 200-4R O/D in particular. I wanted to keep this truck a while so this was the last 36K checkup action to perform. I ordered the high heat neodynium magnets from KJ Magnetics, maybe spent 40 bucks or so.
I'm going to help my future son-in-law with his 4Runner pretty soon, he doesn't have the courage to do this on his own, or maybe it's the free labor, food & adult refreshments! Anyway, thanks for everyone's efforts in putting this together. I didn't have any issues with anything while in process.