1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UnderCover SE Leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by dsmith9455, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    dsmith9455

dsmith9455 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma Silver Double Cab
    Hi all, I just had an UnderCover SE installed on my 06 Tacoma. I love it. However I went through a car wash yesterday and there was a significant amount of water that got in through the cab side of the cover. I've noticed a lot of people saying that they went through car washes with little or no water getting in. When I open the tailgate and close the cover, I can see light coming in around the two cabside corners. I wouldn't think this would be normal. Any of you experience this?

Thanks
    Danny

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i no when i got my topper they put a special seal(looks like a door seal) up front to fill the void.doesnt work very well though.may b u (or them) just have to add some topper tape to those sections.

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    RobbieB

RobbieB Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Muscle Shoals,Al
    Vehicle:
    '10 PreRunner sport
    do you have any pics I was thinking of getting a SE also.

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    dsmith9455

dsmith9455 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Sure. I'll take some pics and post them in the morning.

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM
    dsmith9455

dsmith9455 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
  6. Jan 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I have the regular Undercover. I never heard of the SE 'til now. I looked at you Cardomain, but the picture is kind of small. I'd like to see some others.

Anyway, the only time I got water in mine is when I first installed it. I sprayed it with a hose to test it and got a small amount in the front corner when sprayed directly at it.
    I would suggest 2 things:
    1. There should be the rubber flap seal at the front...maybe it's folded back into the bed rather than to the front. If so, try a flat stick, yard stick, and push it out while the lid is open.
    2. Is the lid positioned too far back? How big is the gap at the tailgate?
    I installed my own...and it was OK, but it was difficult to unhook from the bed. I adjusted it from inside by loosening the brackets on the rail and tapped it back an 8th of an inch. Now it's a snap getting off and the tailgate gap really didn't change much.

Sorry for the long reply...hope it might help.
    Looking forward to pix!

7. Jan 6, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    What Gene said... the cab-side water seal is probably not sitting correctly, and you may be slightly out of adjustment. The first time I set up my cover I actually spent about 1.5hr to get it perfect (side/side, back/back). Of course that changed a bit on the first flex... lol.

8. Jan 7, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    dsmith9455

dsmith9455 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the replies! I've posted more pics at cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006046

I think I may know what my problem is. Maybe you guys can help. If you look at the first pic, you will notice that the plastic bed rail that runs down the top side of the truck bed causes the flap to "arch" upward. This is causing a gap that I can actually see light through when looking out from the bed of the truck with the lid closed. I need a solution for this. I guess I could always carry it back to the installers and see if they have a solution. I'm not sure weather stripping will work in this case because the gap is so large. Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way , I got the Undercover SE at Classic Customs in Oxford, Al - Cost was $720 installed and I got a free Undercover swing out tool box with the purchase. retail on that box is over $200. (some special undercover is running)

Thanks
    Danny

9. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM
    Gene563

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    I saw your pictures and the original UC is completely different.
    I would still look at the fit of your lid. See if there's excess gap at the rear. If so, I would adjust it slightly forward...it might allow that seal to fold down. With mine, it said a gap of 1/8" at the rear was correct.

Below is a picture of how the original ones attach. The stainless spring clip locks it in. Remove both clips ane the lid lifts off.
    Good luck!

[​IMG]

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    2nd this. If the seal is folded wrong or the lid is positioned too far back OR forward, you'll have a little leak. I had to re-seat my Undercover after installing it the first time.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM
    dsmith9455

dsmith9455 [OP] Member

Member:
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Gene563.. I repositioned the cover closer to the cab. I had about 1/4 inch gap in the rear. Right now I moved as far back as it would go and still close. It looks like a perfect fit now, but still has a gap in the back. I'm a little concerned after reading VTDaves post that it could also leak if it's too far forward. I guess I need to test it out where it's at and then adjust. I didn't know if someone might be interested in seeing the inside of the UnderCover SE, so I posted another pic. follow the previous like to the same cardomain site.

Thanks

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    virgilus11

virgilus11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    kearny, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5
    TRD supercharger,EMU 884 springs, 90000 shocks, air bags rear and TSB with EMU shocks, grillcraft mesh, Relentless front bumper,Armology rear bumper, byxenon hid's retro ,undercover lid with bike rack on top, Kenwood dnx9140,TRD cover seats
    How about remove the cover with the help of some friend or neighbor. Go to your local shop. Buy a door seal. Install the seal over entire (front board). Make sure that you install it behind the two hooks. That should fix the problem. I have a regular and never had any leaks.

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    Gene563

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad that worked out for you. Hopefully that'll be the end of your leaks.
    I like the bedrug! Is that padded underneath and how much did that run you? Also, it look like you can keep the tie-downs in the rail. That's nice;
    mine hit the lid. I had to stash them for use without the cover.
    Keep us posted on the water test.:)

Products Discussed in

To Top