Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

UnderCover SE Leak

Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
dsmith9455 has a spectacular aura aboutdsmith9455 has a spectacular aura about
dsmith9455's Tacoma Gallery
UnderCover SE Leak

Hi all, I just had an UnderCover SE installed on my 06 Tacoma. I love it. However I went through a car wash yesterday and there was a significant amount of water that got in through the cab side of the cover. I've noticed a lot of people saying that they went through car washes with little or no water getting in. When I open the tailgate and close the cover, I can see light coming in around the two cabside corners. I wouldn't think this would be normal. Any of you experience this?

Thanks
Danny
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i no when i got my topper they put a special seal(looks like a door seal) up front to fill the void.doesnt work very well though.may b u (or them) just have to add some topper tape to those sections.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
RobbieB is on a distinguished road
Name: Robbie
RobbieB's Tacoma Gallery
do you have any pics I was thinking of getting a SE also.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Sure. I'll take some pics and post them in the morning.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Here is my cardomain page. I already have a couple of pics there.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006046
Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Marines: 1982-1988 Okinawa, Japan & Southern California
Name: Eugene
Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I have the regular Undercover. I never heard of the SE 'til now. I looked at you Cardomain, but the picture is kind of small. I'd like to see some others.

Anyway, the only time I got water in mine is when I first installed it. I sprayed it with a hose to test it and got a small amount in the front corner when sprayed directly at it.
I would suggest 2 things:
1. There should be the rubber flap seal at the front...maybe it's folded back into the bed rather than to the front. If so, try a flat stick, yard stick, and push it out while the lid is open.
2. Is the lid positioned too far back? How big is the gap at the tailgate?
I installed my own...and it was OK, but it was difficult to unhook from the bed. I adjusted it from inside by loosening the brackets on the rail and tapped it back an 8th of an inch. Now it's a snap getting off and the tailgate gap really didn't change much.

Sorry for the long reply...hope it might help.
Looking forward to pix!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
What Gene said... the cab-side water seal is probably not sitting correctly, and you may be slightly out of adjustment. The first time I set up my cover I actually spent about 1.5hr to get it perfect (side/side, back/back). Of course that changed a bit on the first flex... lol.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
Thanks for the replies! I've posted more pics at cardomain - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3006046

I think I may know what my problem is. Maybe you guys can help. If you look at the first pic, you will notice that the plastic bed rail that runs down the top side of the truck bed causes the flap to "arch" upward. This is causing a gap that I can actually see light through when looking out from the bed of the truck with the lid closed. I need a solution for this. I guess I could always carry it back to the installers and see if they have a solution. I'm not sure weather stripping will work in this case because the gap is so large. Thanks in advance for the help.

By the way , I got the Undercover SE at Classic Customs in Oxford, Al - Cost was $720 installed and I got a free Undercover swing out tool box with the purchase. retail on that box is over $200. (some special undercover is running)

Thanks
Danny
Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Gene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to allGene563 is a name known to all

Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I saw your pictures and the original UC is completely different.
I would still look at the fit of your lid. See if there's excess gap at the rear. If so, I would adjust it slightly forward...it might allow that seal to fold down. With mine, it said a gap of 1/8" at the rear was correct.

Below is a picture of how the original ones attach. The stainless spring clip locks it in. Remove both clips ane the lid lifts off.
Good luck!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
VTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shedVTDave is one of the sharper tools in the shed
VTDave's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene563 View Post
I have the regular Undercover. I never heard of the SE 'til now. I looked at you Cardomain, but the picture is kind of small. I'd like to see some others.

Anyway, the only time I got water in mine is when I first installed it. I sprayed it with a hose to test it and got a small amount in the front corner when sprayed directly at it.
I would suggest 2 things:
1. There should be the rubber flap seal at the front...maybe it's folded back into the bed rather than to the front. If so, try a flat stick, yard stick, and push it out while the lid is open.
2. Is the lid positioned too far back? How big is the gap at the tailgate?
2nd this. If the seal is folded wrong or the lid is positioned too far back OR forward, you'll have a little leak. I had to re-seat my Undercover after installing it the first time.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Thanks Gene563.. I repositioned the cover closer to the cab. I had about 1/4 inch gap in the rear. Right now I moved as far back as it would go and still close. It looks like a perfect fit now, but still has a gap in the back. I'm a little concerned after reading VTDaves post that it could also leak if it's too far forward. I guess I need to test it out where it's at and then adjust. I didn't know if someone might be interested in seeing the inside of the UnderCover SE, so I posted another pic. follow the previous like to the same cardomain site.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
virgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedvirgilus11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
virgilus11's Tacoma Gallery
leak

How about remove the cover with the help of some friend or neighbor. Go to your local shop. Buy a door seal. Install the seal over entire (front board). Make sure that you install it behind the two hooks. That should fix the problem. I have a regular and never had any leaks.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #13

Gene563's Tacoma Gallery
I'm glad that worked out for you. Hopefully that'll be the end of your leaks.
I like the bedrug! Is that padded underneath and how much did that run you? Also, it look like you can keep the tie-downs in the rail. That's nice;
mine hit the lid. I had to stash them for use without the cover.
Keep us posted on the water test.