Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are there any benefits to using higher octane fuel?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
2-Broke 2-Care
flavalk is on a distinguished road

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any benefits to using higher octane fuel?

Toyota recommends 87 octane for use in my 4.0 V6 tacoma. Would 89 or 91 octane make the engine perform better or improve MPG??? The short answer seems to be "HELL NO", that is unless your engine has been modified to increase compresson.....such as installing a super charger. I see what seems to be quite a few people here that proclaim to "ONLY" use 91 octane in their Tacomas. I wonder why?
It pisses me off to pay $3.25 for a gallon of 87 octane fuel. I cannot understand paying more $$$ for absolutely no gain If any of you know something different, please enlighten me.

See links below

http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/M...orth-the-money

and http://autorepair.about.com/od/gener.../aa060504a.htm
Old 03-17-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
We may be beating a dead horse.... My 05' manual says 87 minimum, for improved power and fuel economy 91. I dont know if the 06,07, or 08 motors a have been mapped to like 87 octane better and if the the wording has changed in the manual.

For 3.5 years I've tried all grades for a time. I wish I couldn't tell the difference, but mine and runs rougher and pings on 87. Usually run half 93/87 for 90, in a hurry 89. If 18 gallons, $60 (87) vs $61.80 (90) is worth it to me.

Last year my father used my truck and filled it w/ 87, I could tell immeadiately. Thats me, if you dont notice, then save $ and run 87.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running 91 in my truck since day 1.....since it is recommended for improved performance. In the past whenever I ran < 91, the engine would knock/ping.

I also don't mind running 91, since I am paying 3.25 for 91 and not 87 like the OP.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on my 2ns 05+ Taco and I have run 87 ini both trucks and I have never had a problem. I tried 89 on one fill up and didnt notice any differance.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
I get enough better mph. to pay for 91.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, you need to search. Premium vs regular, dino vs synthetic, 4X2 vs 4X4, and on and on. Beating a dead horse doesn't even begin to describe yet another thread on this topic.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #7
2-Broke 2-Care

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, but I didn't realize that I was beating a dead horse . I have only been a member of this forum for little less than a year. While I'm certainly not on it all the time, I do check in about once a week and typically read the first two pages of threads. I have seen several oil threads but not really one regarding octane preference. I certainly don't care what gas or oil anyone uses.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Higher octane will give you 50 more horsepower.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #10
2-Broke 2-Care

flavalk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Higher octane will give you 50 more horsepower.

Hmmmm, I wonder what a bottle of 101+ Octane boost would do?

If 87 is good, and 91 is BETTER and 93 KICKS ASS.......imagine 101 OCTANE!!!!!

Na, never mind, anything over 87 is a waste of money...now where's tham damned horse