1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Windshield options

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ikataco, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    ikataco

ikataco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC Sport
    My windshield is cracked, 15" long. How are the aftermarket windshields? What manufacture(s) have you tried? Or should I just replace with an OEM Toyota?

2. Jan 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    you're probably gonna pay out the ass for an oem factory windshield. call up safelite and get an estimate from them. they'll come to your house, work, or anywhere your truck is just make an appointment.

3. Jan 7, 2010 at 3:12 AM
    travelingman

travelingman What would Scooby do?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I've always preferred OEM windshields.

4. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:14 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I have found that most of the time.....preferences come with silly pricing.

5. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:18 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    I just had mine just replaced but do not know what brand it is, but it isn't oem. I did choose a reputable replacement glass company though. Happy with the outcome. :thumbsup: since mine was cracked all the way across for almost a year. Had to get it done for my yearly inspection.

6. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah....OEM Glass for my Scion-$1100. Safelight Glass-$230.
    Some folks say that OEM glass is amazingly better than Safelight replacement stuff- but I haven't had any issues with my Safelight stuff. And they usually have the safelight stuff in stock- OEM has to be ordered or you have to pay dealership prices.

Don't forget to check with your insurance-You may have no cost windshield repair/replace.

7. Jan 7, 2010 at 4:30 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I always find it a little funny that people will say OEM is a better glass yet it seems that alot of people I know have had cracked windshields within the first month of owning their cars. I have used Safelite replacement windshields in four of my vehicles without issue.

8. Jan 7, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    braggman7

braggman7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    GA
    Vehicle:
    '23 Trail Edition
    safelite FTW

9. Jan 7, 2010 at 5:50 AM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    ticking eng.mo,ventvisors,locking tailgate,wheelmasters ss spare tire inflation line,weathertech mats
    I don't know about silly pricing since insurance has covered any glass breakage I ever had.

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Yeah, that is interesting.

One of the aftermarket replacment outfits i called claimed their 200 (approx) option was the same windshield, dots and all, only without the 'Toyota' on, so who knows.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    the price of the glass should never come into consideration if you have insurance. your deductible is the only thing that matters. just choose the busines that puts in the best glass... i used to work in a windshield business up in washington st. a lot of companies will eat your deductible. i say it like that because that is what it was called back then and then they passed a law that said it was illegal. however the companies have found ways around it like letting you pay them the deductible and then they give you a cash redeemable voucher to a grociery store chain etc...

you either just use that for your groceries that month like you would have anyway or you redeem it for cash. everybody wins. you should definitely look for someone who is willing to eat some or all of that deductible. 250 was usally the most people would cover so if you had a 500 ded. then you still pay 250 but that aint bad.

Edit: also keep in mind you can have 3 comp claims in one year before they can raise your rates because of those claims. it's illegal for them to do so. so who cares how much it costs just finid the guy that will put what you want in.

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    travelingman

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    07lb4x4DC
    State Farm= 0 ded. on glass breakage. Nothing silly about that.

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i dont pay for my windshields when they get cracked...per SC law and insurance regulations

however ive never questioned who they use to put new glass in my truck

in 4.5 years ive had 3 windshields...2 of those being replacements...

they all seem to work just as well...keep the wind and bugs out of my face...

14. Jan 7, 2010 at 6:51 AM
    MY50cal

MY50cal ---- Tread Lightly ---- Leave No Trace

Member:
    First Name:
    Mojo
    Camden County, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PM RC / 05 SWB AC (RIP)
    Yep.
    x2

I have state since I turned 18 and my parents have had them since they were 18. they have treated us great, never had one problem.

15. Jan 7, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.
    OEM winshield, $100 installed with my insurance...

Marc M

16. Jan 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    in WA with PEMCO, my insurance wouldnt cover 100% OEM windshield cost. They would only cover whatever the aftermarket value was for a windshield, and if I wanted OEM, I had to pay the difference. It was like $800 for my 02 Tacoma.

So I went down to my local Toyota dealer and asked who fixes their windshield. Then went there and bought the aftermarket glass. It was under $200 total. My deduct is $250.

17. Jan 8, 2010 at 3:36 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    My dealer is the one who told me I have two options. Option 1 is $800 for the OE windshield installed; or, Option 2 is $300 for the aftermarket windshield.

The dealer recommended I go with their aftermarket windshield. They said there was no difference in quality. The only difference is the name stamped on it. They cover the installation fit and finish just like an OE windshield.

Products Discussed in

To Top