Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Oil dipstick

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
TacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to behold
Name: Joshua
TacoOwner?'s Tacoma Gallery
Oil dipstick

I changed my oil and am trying to figure out the correct amount, but I can t read my dip stick. Every time I pull it out, the entire lower half is covered in oil (cant get accurate reading). It has been sitting over night, so its not like I just turned engine off. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Josh
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 Quarts.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
ive heard this many times but i dont have that issue with mine.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
NWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NWtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If your having trouble reading the stick, sand the end a bit to rough it up. That will help get an accurate read.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
TacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If your having trouble reading the stick, sand the end a bit to rough it up. That will help get an accurate read.
What do you mean "sand the end"? Like the very tip where it starts to twist? After a closer look, I noticed a little bulge of oil, that I am assuming is the actual level...you know they say when you assume lol.

Josh
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoOwner? View Post
What do you mean "sand the end"? Like the very tip where it starts to twist? After a closer look, I noticed a little bulge of oil, that I am assuming is the actual level...you know they say when you assume lol.

Josh
Sand the bottom 2" of the stick.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Quote:
Sand the bottom 2" of the stick.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
It also helps to pull the dipstick out and wipe it off immediately. Then re-insert it and pull it out slowly for an accurate reading (sorry if this post is interpreted the wrong way
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtacoma01 View Post
It also helps to pull the dipstick out and wipe it off immediately. Then re-insert it and pull it out slowly for an accurate reading (sorry if this post is interpreted the wrong way
That is how to check your oil lever, that is how I checked my oil level. I just think oil likes to sit in the tube.

Josh
Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 AM   #11
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This worked well for me...
Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #12
Tacoma TSS
dalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the sheddalesrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dale
dalesrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoOwner? View Post
I changed my oil and am trying to figure out the correct amount, but I can t read my dip stick. Every time I pull it out, the entire lower half is covered in oil (cant get accurate reading). It has been sitting over night, so its not like I just turned engine off. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Josh
I had the same problem my first oil change, so I just went with 5.5 quarts.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
I think what happens is if you try to read it more than once the oil you track up the sleeve on the first pull gets all over the stick when you draw it out a second time. I had this problem too when checking after an oil change. I just let it sit and checked it one time the next morning with no problems.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #16
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
The dipstick sucks...period. I've sanded & done other things. It still sucks. They should've copied the 1st gen design - they worked great!
I generally just put in 5.5 quarts.
My daughter's 1994 Corolla dipstick reads perfect. Mt 2008 2.7 Tacoma dipstick is useless. WTF? They need to do a redesign by using the old design. You know the saying, "if it ain't broke....don't fix it."
Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
there was a big thread about this...it doesn't read accurately...the owner's manual says to use 6 quarts or something but the full line on the dipstick is reached at 5 quarts or a little more....but i think the general conclusion was to use 5.5 quarts
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoja View Post
there was a big thread about this...it doesn't read accurately...the owner's manual says to use 6 quarts or something but the full line on the dipstick is reached at 5 quarts or a little more....but i think the general conclusion was to use 5.5 quarts
On my 2.7 I use 5.5 quarts and it reads (when you can read it) full on the dipstick. It's better to be a little low on oil than way over full so I'm sticking with 5.5 quarts. If you were to use the full 6.1 quarts that the manual says to use, you probably wouldn't hurt anything either. I just err on the side of caution. JMO.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i checked my dipstick when it was new and it was over the full line from the factory.....i got my first oil change at the dealer and it's barely over the full line but less than it was originally...it was like 1/4 inch over ...now it's like 1/16 of an inch over...they put in 5.5 qts....my old toyo was spot on..the manual said use 4.5 qts....it took 4.5qts. and it would be right on the full mark every time...i eventually just stopped checking when doing an oil change cuz i knew it took exactly 4.5 qts every time....so i would just use 5.5 qts and call it a day on this new taco...if it's off a bit don't worry about it