Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions about 4x4 before I purchase

Old 01-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
jscrub is on a distinguished road
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about 4x4 before I purchase

1. Can I drive in 4x4 indefinitely?

2. If i do run in 4x4 mode indefinitely, will it wear down the internals faster ie transmission, transfer case, Diff?

3. Does switching from 4x2 to 4x4 all the time wear down the mechanical parts?

4. Is it safer just to keep it in 4x4 mode?

Last question:

Is it better to get the Off Road Package or the Sport Package for the snow?

oh yeah on "last question":

Is the ABS really as bad as I keep hearing?

I rode in my friends Tacoma the other day. He said that he has never felt the ABS kick in. Not even in the rain.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Go buy a subaru or something. 4x4 is bad on everything especially on dry pavement.

Not to be a dick but are u serious?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
yeah am serious Never had a 4x4. Well as to regard to the question between a sport and a off road. Just wondering if they handle different in the snow because the Off Road has the rear locker. Dont know if that makes a difference and also

Pardon my ignorance, never owned a 4x4
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscrub View Post
1. Can I drive in 4x4 indefinitely?
NO
2. If i do run in 4x4 mode indefinitely, will it wear down the internals faster ie transmission, transfer case, Diff?
You can't drive in it indefinitely. If you try, every turn will produce a loud clunking sound which will eventually result in replacing your 4x4 front end components
3. Does switching from 4x2 to 4x4 all the time wear down the mechanical parts?
No more than usual.
4. Is it safer just to keep it in 4x4 mode?
NO
Last question:

Is it better to get the Off Road Package or the Sport Package for the snow?
They will both perform the same for the most part.
oh yeah on "last question":

Is the ABS really as bad as I keep hearing?
No
I rode in my friends Tacoma the other day. He said that he has never felt the ABS kick in. Not even in the rain.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
1) Yes if you are indefinitely in a slippy/low traction condition. Dry roads or good traction = Bad for 4x4.
2) Not appreciably...A little more wear- but not that much.
3) Not appreciably...They are made to be switched. Follow the guidelines and you'll be fine.
4) Not always...You can damage your drivetrain using it in dry, normal traction situations.

The Locker in the Offroad isn't really helpful for snow. Both now come with an Auto-LSD. So the Sport technically- but the Offroad has the auto AND the locker.
Kind of a wash for a choice.

I haven't had any ABS issues-I also haven't played with much snow.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
only use 4x4 when driving in snow, mud, gravel, dirt, or extreme off roading...NEVER use 4wd on dry pavement....maybe you would be better off buying an AWD vehicle...then it's always on and you don't have to worry about it
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
oh okay so there is a big difference between 4x4 and awd. So a subaru for instance is AWD and made to be driven that way indefinitely and 4x4 is made for those special situations.

Correct?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions with out judging!

<----- is how i feel right about now.....
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Correct
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
For snow, get the TRD Sport with limited slip. Lockers are great for heavy off road use, but they can be squirly on snow and ice.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
I just like to go snowboarding in the winter, so that's why i am purchasing a 4x4. Maybe the occasional off road trip.

Not looking to be a great driver through 4x4. I just want to be safe while driving under adverse conditions, such as snow.

Planning on running snow tires too during the winter trips.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jscrub sorry for being harsh! Wasn't triing to be mean thought u were joking!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Dorifuto and Krookz for the links!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about it gww0517! its a forum goes with the territory.

Although tacomaworld is a lot better than the ones I seen!

everyone here is usually eager to answer questions and spread good information from what i've seen
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #15
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
LSD comes standard now, the Sport just adds some convenience features.

Quote:
So a subaru for instance is AWD and made to be driven that way indefinitely and 4x4 is made for those special situations.

Correct?
Yes, but note that AWD and 4x4 are not equal in performance, either. AWD is for street use mainly, 4x4 is for offroad. Trying to get them to do the other one's job doesn't work. I suggest doing some googling about the differences between 4x4 systems (there's something like 4 or 5 major different types in existence from what I remember)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
Answers:
The sport package is for looks, mainly, with the hood scoop and color matched grill and sport seats, but I believe it comes with a rear diff locker also.
PreRunner has optional locker
Offroad edition (and its derivatives) has a locker standard
4x4 Sport does not have a locker option

There's further differences in VSC, TRAC, ATRAC, DAC, and HAC as well.

Quote:
What is best for snow is 4wd and snow tires. The ATRAC system and locker can only be utilized in 4LO. The ATRAC system is a simulated electronic front and rear diff locker utilizing the brake system in order to stop the tire that is spinning and transfer the power to the tire with traction. Again, only to be used in 4LO. Not on the hwy, or the road, pretty much to get your through any seriously sticky situation.
Correct (and excellent description), though the truck uses TRAC when in 2WD/4HI. Systems can also be disabled or engaged using combinations of the 4x4 mode you are in, the VSC button, ATRAC button, etc. I personally think it's hugely confusing... but that stuff didn't come out until the year after my truck, so I don't deal with it.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #16

I love it here. Addicted!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #17
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
So dirt roads for the 10 miles of 4wd a month that the manual states?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Basically, but I've also heard it's not really a big deal on modern diffs these days. It's just a CYA clause that Toyota threw in.

For me, I consider it a hard and fast rule that I must schedule monthly fun
Old 01-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #19
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
can be done on pavement...just don't turn sharply.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
can be done on pavement...just don't turn sharply.
I wouldn't. From a link on the first page:

Quote:
The image above is the transfer case of my Jeep Grand Cherokee after accidentally driving for about 150 miles in part time 4WD on the freeway. It exploded at about 70 mph.