Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hurricane Damaged Vehicle VIN 5TETU62N59Z598435

Old 01-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Hurricane Damaged Vehicle VIN 5TETU62N59Z598435

The below vehicle was verified damaged by Hurricane Gustav in September 2008.
Recent service records indicate that it has been sent off to be sold at auction.

It is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 6-Spd in Silver Streak Mica
The VIN is 5TETU62N59Z598435

Just want to put this out there for those of you looking at used Tacomas. The fact the vehicle has been repaired should be disclosed to a buyer. In case they don't, I hope that this thread finds the right person.

UPDATE 02/04/10: I can still access service records for this truck on MyToyota.com. I've taken screen captures of the service details and posted them below. This vehicle was sent off to be sold at auction on 2/1/10. Hard to say where it will turn up from there.

Service Summary

Details from 02/01/10 - Vehicle Sent To Auction, Or Sold At Auction

Details from 12/21/09

Details from 12/17/09

The below vehicle was verified damaged by Hurricane Gustav in September 2008.

I am not making statements about the severity of damage or the quality of the vehicle. I am not stating that this is a 'flood damaged' vehicle. The purpose of this post is only to state verifiable repairs made to this vehicle and illustrate, with photographs, its condition while it was in my possession from 9/14/2009 through 12/15/2009.

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Access Cab
The VIN is 5TETU62N59Z598435
4,652 miles when it was returned to the dealer on 12/15/09

Silver Streak Mica
6-Spd Manual
Off-Road Package
Tow Package
7-Speaker Audio Package (Subwoofer)
Running Boards*
Hood w/ Scoop*

*These were on the truck when I returned it

I purchased a 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner in September 2009 and returned it to the dealer because I found out that it was damaged by Hurricane Gustav in September 2008 at the Allen Toyota dealership in Gulfport, Mississipi. Allen Toyota made repairs in November 2008. The vehicle was transferred to Koons Tysons Toyota in Vienna, Virginia in June 2009. I returned the vehicle to Koons on Dec 15th, 2009. It showed up in their online used car inventory a few days later but it was not in their online inventory the following week. Keep in mind that this truck was transferred from Mississippi to Virginia after it was damaged. It may turn up outside of Virginia.

I won't go into the details of the sale and my fiasco with this truck, but you can read about it here if you want;
Need Advice - New Truck Was Repainted Prior to Sale

Basically, the roof was damaged by Hurricane Gustav. Bodywork was done to repair the roof, which was dented during the hurricane. In addition, I found evidence that water had entered the cab. I am not stating that this is a flood damaged vehicle. I am saying it was damaged by Hurricane Gustav.

Service report by Allen Toyota indicating damages caused by Hurricane Gustav and repairs made;

Pictures I took that evidence water having entered the cab;

The headliner would leak when it rained or I washed the truck. I brought the truck to Ourisman Fairfax Toyota and they notified me the roof had been worked on. This was fixed by Koons and it did not leak again after repairs were made;

Water spots at the rear of the cab. This is on the door side of the driver side rear seat;

Water spots at the rear of the cab. This is at the passenger side rear seat, towards the center of the cab where the subwoofer is;

Water stain on the headrest on the driver side rear seat;

Rust around fasteners and metal shavings/grindings under the lid to one of the rear underseat storage bins;

Rust around fasteners and metal shavings/grindings under the lid to the other rear underseat storage bin;

Rust on the factory supplied jack stand, located in the passenger side rear underseat storage bin;

Metal shavings/grindings and minor rust spots located under the passenger side rear underseat storage bin where the jack is kept;

Water spots, rusting around fasteners, and metal shavings/grindings under the passenger side rear seat, adjacent to the subwoofer;

Water spots under the driver side rear underseat storage tray;

Rust on the seat frames under driver and passenger side front seats;

Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
wow.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, that isn't right by them at all to do that and not let you know.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
fireball1000 is on a distinguished road

Army: CPL 3/314 A co, ROTC instructor
Name: Mike
fireball1000's Tacoma Gallery
wow thats was one wet truck
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
paulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to beholdpaulm09tacoma is a splendid one to behold
Name: paul
paulm09tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
thank you for the info. sorry you got hosed by some dealership.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
That sucks...Best of luck getting that worked out!!
My problem's been resolved. Everything was wrapped up today. I'm just posting the facts I have on the chance that it will help someone else.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
its sad but that stuff goes on all the time and no one knows about it.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Off road pkg with hood scoop. Did you trade hoods or maybe the dealership made some quick parts swaps after the damage was done?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #10

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Off road pkg with hood scoop. Did you trade hoods or maybe the dealership made some quick parts swaps after the damage was done?
I swapped hoods with another Tacoma owner that did not like his scoop. I disclosed this to the dealership verbally before turning the truck in.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear that you are now able to put this behind you, I followed the original thread and thought you were very professional in how you handled it, I think most would have given up.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #12
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I swapped hoods with another Tacoma owner that did not like his scoop. I disclosed this to the dealership verbally before turning the truck in.
I would've swapped back with you. I've got a Silver Streak Mica. Oh well too late.
Glad your mess is over and headache gone. I guess I'd better get outside and peel that Koons sticker off my tailgate soon
Old 01-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Those under the seat pictures sure bring back some memories! My dad bought a truck from Hertz a few years back. I checked it out after the purchase and noticed the metal underneth the seats were completely encased in rust. I told him that he had more than likely just bought a flood damaged vehicle...of course the dealer denied it.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Tacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant future
Tacozona's Tacoma Gallery
I'd think you'd have some recourse. Laws vary state to state, but I would be sending a well written letter to the dealer and sending carbon copies to Toyota, AG office, etc. Mail out a bunch of certified letters with carbon copies headed in every direction. Show them whose boss.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #15

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacozona View Post
I'd think you'd have some recourse. Laws vary state to state, but I would be sending a well written letter to the dealer and sending carbon copies to Toyota, AG office, etc. Mail out a bunch of certified letters with carbon copies headed in every direction. Show them whose boss.
Toyota was notified of this problem and it seems they helped talk the dealer into the resolution I got. Before I called them the dealer wanted to give me a shit trade-in value on it and I would have taken a big loss. As it was, I got my money back with the exception of taxes and fees and I purchased a truly new 2010 4x4 Sport.

For me, this is done. After 2 months of dealing with this on an almost daily basis, I'm out of gas. I don't intend to pursue this any further...its time for me to move on. I feel that any additional refund I might get from taking this further would be small unless I went to litigation, and even then its not guaranteed and I certainly don't have the energy or time to put towards that.

If I got a call from the Virginia AG (or anyone else) asking what happened I would certainly cooperate and give them everything I have. I just don't think it would be beneficial for me to start down that road on my own.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #16
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting and glad you got it worked out!
I cannot believe those pics, definitely worth a more than a thousand words!
I know you had said it was taking a toll plus selling your Z, you have a had a rough couple of months! Looks like though things are looking up.
Have you posted a build thread on your new 2010?
Old 01-09-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for taking the time effort and photos to help someone else down the road. The sad fact is that someone somewhere is going to end up with this truck. That said, you have certainly done your part to help the next guy.

I think it's a disgrace that a dealer would try to pull this crap. That truck should have been deeply discounted,parted out or whatever but NEVER sold in good faith to an unsuspecting consumer.......Shame on them.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #18
Tacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant futureTacozona has a brilliant future
Tacozona's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
Toyota was notified of this problem and it seems they helped talk the dealer into the resolution I got. Before I called them the dealer wanted to give me a shit trade-in value on it and I would have taken a big loss. As it was, I got my money back with the exception of taxes and fees and I purchased a truly new 2010 4x4 Sport.

For me, this is done. After 2 months of dealing with this on an almost daily basis, I'm out of gas. I don't intend to pursue this any further...its time for me to move on. I feel that any additional refund I might get from taking this further would be small unless I went to litigation, and even then its not guaranteed and I certainly don't have the energy or time to put towards that.

If I got a call from the Virginia AG (or anyone else) asking what happened I would certainly cooperate and give them everything I have. I just don't think it would be beneficial for me to start down that road on my own.
I can understand. At some point, it's better to accept it and move on.
Otherwise, this can consume you and make your life miserable. Definitely not worth that. You have a beautiful truck.

If it makes you feel any better, I purchased a new BMW back in 2002 and all new car deliveries are done in the showroom. So, they backed the BMW into the showroom, do the final paperwork, take a picture, blah, blah, blah. Well, the left side of the car was keyed while I was finishing up my paperwork. I think some troll was walking through the showroom with a set of keys and decided to take his anger out on my new car.

How it happened I will never know. Regardless, that car was now mine and I was really P*ssed. However, I was confident they'd refinish it properly. I accepted it. I probably could have demanded another new car as a replacement. The repairs were acceptable but not BMW standards. No biggie. Just another experience. By the way, the salesman's name was Dick Hard - not a joke. 100% serious. I believe he went by Richard.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #20

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
Have you posted a build thread on your new 2010?
It'll be coming soon! I don't have a garage and its too cold for me to do anything with the truck right now. But I'm definitely looking forward to getting it back to the way it was. It drove a lot better with the Toytec components on it!

Tacozona...that is crap about the BMW you had! One good thing about this whole thing is that I've walked away with a lot more knowledge of consumer rights and protection laws. There is a time limit that you can bring the vehicle back to the dealer and cancel the sale but it varies from place to place.

And damn Google is quick...I posted this last night and its already the first result in a search for the VIN.