1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD OR Rear Locker Question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by silvertac0, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM
    silvertac0

silvertac0 [OP] Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC TRD OR
    My owners manual states that while the rear differential is locked, you shouldnt drive above 5 mph. Why? would 15 mph hurt? would it cause differential to fail in any way?

For example, if im in 2 ft of fresh snow, could i throw on the rear lock and cruise a trail at 10-15 mph safely? I have a stock 2wd DC taco TRD OR and will be doing some driving in deep snow.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Brie likes this.
  2. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I've gone about 10-15 mph locked off road in deep snow. I didn't have any problems. I assume they tell you that for safety reasons (steering difficulty) and wear and tear on locker. I was in 18 inches of fresh snow. Virtually no traction so I wasn't putting any stress on the diff.

Brie likes this.
  3. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    They say that because they dont want you turning on dry pavement and also if its wet you could spin out since both wheels will be locked if your not careful.

4. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Really you only want to put the locker on when you need it. The problem is that you are putting stress on a lot of components since it is requiring both wheels to spin at the same speed. There are many threads that speak to this but really get used to putting on when you need it and turning it off when you don't. Your truck will love you for it.

Brie likes this.
  5. Jan 8, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    This is absolutely true. My particular case was unique because it was a little or no traction situation.

6. Jan 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM
    Chester

Chester Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD-OR M-V6 4x4
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    dont worry about speed its just a disclamier lawyer thing,The faster you go with it locked and lack of driving skill you can lose control,I roll down fire roads with it locked in 2WD and it does just fine.Common sense is all that is required.

Brie likes this.
  7. Jan 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    x2. Just keep in mind that both wheels are spinning at the same speed and know that, when turning, wheels must spin at different rates. If your turning when locked, and your wheels have good grip, your putting lots of stress on those components. Im guessing snow would be fine since you dont have too much grip. If your tires are gripping hard to the pavement though, turn it off and avoid the excess stress.

8. Jan 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

HOLD UP A SEC BOYS, you think its lawyer speak ?? lol, theres a reason for the reference to low speed locked diff operation, do you really have any idea how much stress is put upon any diff that can operate in full-lock ? Think a second, even with limited -slip there is alot of excessive wear & stress that ,true the diff can take it usually but the rest of your drivetrain is having to tolerate conditions that it probably wasn't designed for & why the hell would you need a locked diff if you're hauling ass down the road/trail ,whatever ??.......:confused::confused: :smack:

optysite and Brie like this.
  9. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:12 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I think its more than just disclaimer bull shit but I think it can be used at speeds of more than 5mph without fucking stuff up. I hit up trails sometimes at ~20 MPH sometimes with my locker on because its full of loose gravel, holes, and random shit that may cause one wheel to lose traction and may need the assistance of the other. Im 2WD and gotta constantly keep on my gas and use the momentum to keep me going or else Im fucked. Having the locker on, while pushing forward at 15-20MPH helps me get over lots of things. Ill clarify that my locker isnt on when turning as I am aware of the stres. Even if its a dirt road, Im not gonna be turning with the locker on as it will still cause binding, I just think its ok to operate a locker above 5MPH WITH PROPER PRECAUTIONS/REASONING.

10. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    And... with 2 wheel drive you wouldn't have the stress on it from binding from the front drive wheels as well. Plus - I've seen you wheel and you are right - if the trail isn't loose it will be with your wheels on it!!!! ;)

11. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    LOL. Yea I use it quite a bit at Cleghorn but I try to turn it off as much as possible. Some of those bypasses can get crazy though. I think as long as I understand how the diff works, and how the locker works, and think about whats going on with it as I move through terrain ahead, I should be good. I hope.

We gotta do another trail soon.

12. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Yeah, alright I'll give ya that its probably not going to grenade on you if your going 15 or 20 mph . I also forgot you guys are prerunners & maybe some difference between 2X & 4X locking diff. operation, but it still takes me to the mind set that ,ok , in cases where you're going in excess of 20 mph & with the exception of being in deep sand (you probably had to have the locker on to get to that speed in that particular section of terrain) I don't see any situation that you would need locker engaged going that fast (say, 20 mph & up) up hills w/ruts, thru water, whoopies, etc: Its my understanding that the locker was developed to put the maximum amount of traction & torque thru the wheels to the ground at the slowest possible speeds (ie; I don't see any crawlers attacking terrain at 10-15 mph much less 20 mph & above) But I absolutely agree with you about the "common sense" approach & I realize that driving a Prerunner you need to be on your toes a little more than most 4X's & granted the disclaimer in owners manual is maybe over-stressing the point, but I wouldn't just write it off as bullshit or lawyer speak . Just my opinion bro'.....:cool:

Brie likes this.
  13. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:54 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    At cleghorn I only turn it on when doing an uphill or rocky bypass. When Im done, I turn it off.

14. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    yup. same here. I turn it off when I get to the top of the bypass.

15. Jan 8, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I agree. Its definitely more than lawsuit prevention.

16. Jan 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    Yea i go way over the 5mph, as long as your not being stupid like doing donuts in a dry parking lot you will be fine. when im going through really sandy washes at the desert im locked and going 50+ mph. But i am running only 31s so their isn't nearly that much stress on my diff compared to larger tires.

17. Jan 9, 2010 at 12:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    It's a tool to get you unstuck or to make it so you won't get stuck. If you're cruising at 15-20mph you don't need it going. You're just having fun having it locked.
    Really you should turn your locker on just before you need it to help you move through/over the obstacle, then you can turn it off again once you pass it.

18. Jan 9, 2010 at 6:50 AM
    Chester

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Locker Mod,In bed cargo lights,Fully de-badged,TRD Seat Covers,Trailer Harness Relocation,Painted wheels,Extra tie-downs,5100's,Biceman lighting,09 stereo with sirius & isimple ipod interface,Rear diff breather mod,K&N Air Filter
    How about we go with use it when you want,If your afraid use it less.And if your making anything more than a sharp swerve turn it off.This post has seem to have hit the panic button on what the diff will handle,When all we were trying to do is let the OP know he does not have to sweat bullets at 16mph.I had a detroit in my 91 a few friends had them in there toyotas long before 2nd gens and in those cases your pretty much locked all the time,The parts can take SOME stress but use COMMON SENSE and do not panic!:D And 4WD I did not imply I was "Ivan Man Stewarting"down fire roads!lol Granted I do that from time to time but a little crusing with it on IMO is ok.

19. Jan 9, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    You got it! That's what everyone should do - understand how it works and then work that into their driving. Especially tight turns while in 4WD - Nasty stuff for those cv joints!!!

And yes we do. We'll get something going. Next weekend is a Bill Burke deal. Maybe w/e after that.

20. Jan 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    Chester

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top