LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD OR Rear Locker Question

Old 01-08-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
silvertac0 is on a distinguished road
silvertac0's Tacoma Gallery
TRD OR Rear Locker Question

My owners manual states that while the rear differential is locked, you shouldnt drive above 5 mph. Why? would 15 mph hurt? would it cause differential to fail in any way?

For example, if im in 2 ft of fresh snow, could i throw on the rear lock and cruise a trail at 10-15 mph safely? I have a stock 2wd DC taco TRD OR and will be doing some driving in deep snow.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I've gone about 10-15 mph locked off road in deep snow. I didn't have any problems. I assume they tell you that for safety reasons (steering difficulty) and wear and tear on locker. I was in 18 inches of fresh snow. Virtually no traction so I wasn't putting any stress on the diff.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Do Work Son!
rossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrossk35 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rossk35's Tacoma Gallery
They say that because they dont want you turning on dry pavement and also if its wet you could spin out since both wheels will be locked if your not careful.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Really you only want to put the locker on when you need it. The problem is that you are putting stress on a lot of components since it is requiring both wheels to spin at the same speed. There are many threads that speak to this but really get used to putting on when you need it and turning it off when you don't. Your truck will love you for it.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Really you only want to put the locker on when you need it. The problem is that you are putting stress on a lot of components since it is requiring both wheels to spin at the same speed. There are many threads that speak to this but really get used to putting on when you need it and turning it off when you don't. Your truck will love you for it.
This is absolutely true. My particular case was unique because it was a little or no traction situation.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
dont worry about speed its just a disclamier lawyer thing,The faster you go with it locked and lack of driving skill you can lose control,I roll down fire roads with it locked in 2WD and it does just fine.Common sense is all that is required.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
dont worry about speed its just a disclamier lawyer thing,The faster you go with it locked and lack of driving skill you can lose control,I roll down fire roads with it locked in 2WD and it does just fine.Common sense is all that is required.
x2. Just keep in mind that both wheels are spinning at the same speed and know that, when turning, wheels must spin at different rates. If your turning when locked, and your wheels have good grip, your putting lots of stress on those components. Im guessing snow would be fine since you dont have too much grip. If your tires are gripping hard to the pavement though, turn it off and avoid the excess stress.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post

HOLD UP A SEC BOYS, you think its lawyer speak ?? lol, theres a reason for the reference to low speed locked diff operation, do you really have any idea how much stress is put upon any diff that can operate in full-lock ? Think a second, even with limited -slip there is alot of excessive wear & stress that ,true the diff can take it usually but the rest of your drivetrain is having to tolerate conditions that it probably wasn't designed for & why the hell would you need a locked diff if you're hauling ass down the road/trail ,whatever ??.......
Old 01-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I think its more than just disclaimer bull shit but I think it can be used at speeds of more than 5mph without fucking stuff up. I hit up trails sometimes at ~20 MPH sometimes with my locker on because its full of loose gravel, holes, and random shit that may cause one wheel to lose traction and may need the assistance of the other. Im 2WD and gotta constantly keep on my gas and use the momentum to keep me going or else Im fucked. Having the locker on, while pushing forward at 15-20MPH helps me get over lots of things. Ill clarify that my locker isnt on when turning as I am aware of the stres. Even if its a dirt road, Im not gonna be turning with the locker on as it will still cause binding, I just think its ok to operate a locker above 5MPH WITH PROPER PRECAUTIONS/REASONING.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
I think its more than just disclaimer bull shit but I think it can be used at speeds of more than 5mph without fucking stuff up. I hit up trails sometimes at ~20 MPH sometimes with my locker on because its full of loose gravel, holes, and random shit that may cause one wheel to lose traction and may need the assistance of the other. Im 2WD and gotta constantly keep on my gas and use the momentum to keep me going or else Im fucked. Having the locker on, while pushing forward at 15-20MPH helps me get over lots of things. Ill clarify that my locker isnt on when turning as I am aware of the stres. Even if its a dirt road, Im not gonna be turning with the locker on as it will still cause binding, I just think its ok to operate a locker above 5MPH WITH PROPER PRECAUTIONS/REASONING.
And... with 2 wheel drive you wouldn't have the stress on it from binding from the front drive wheels as well. Plus - I've seen you wheel and you are right - if the trail isn't loose it will be with your wheels on it!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
And... with 2 wheel drive you wouldn't have the stress on it from binding from the front drive wheels as well. Plus - I've seen you wheel and you are right - if the trail isn't loose it will be with your wheels on it!!!!
LOL. Yea I use it quite a bit at Cleghorn but I try to turn it off as much as possible. Some of those bypasses can get crazy though. I think as long as I understand how the diff works, and how the locker works, and think about whats going on with it as I move through terrain ahead, I should be good. I hope.

We gotta do another trail soon.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, alright I'll give ya that its probably not going to grenade on you if your going 15 or 20 mph . I also forgot you guys are prerunners & maybe some difference between 2X & 4X locking diff. operation, but it still takes me to the mind set that ,ok , in cases where you're going in excess of 20 mph & with the exception of being in deep sand (you probably had to have the locker on to get to that speed in that particular section of terrain) I don't see any situation that you would need locker engaged going that fast (say, 20 mph & up) up hills w/ruts, thru water, whoopies, etc: Its my understanding that the locker was developed to put the maximum amount of traction & torque thru the wheels to the ground at the slowest possible speeds (ie; I don't see any crawlers attacking terrain at 10-15 mph much less 20 mph & above) But I absolutely agree with you about the "common sense" approach & I realize that driving a Prerunner you need to be on your toes a little more than most 4X's & granted the disclaimer in owners manual is maybe over-stressing the point, but I wouldn't just write it off as bullshit or lawyer speak . Just my opinion bro'.....
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #14
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
At cleghorn I only turn it on when doing an uphill or rocky bypass. When Im done, I turn it off.
yup. same here. I turn it off when I get to the top of the bypass.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Yeah, alright I'll give ya that its probably not going to grenade on you if your going 15 or 20 mph . I also forgot you guys are prerunners & maybe some difference between 2X & 4X locking diff. operation, but it still takes me to the mind set that ,ok , in cases where you're going in excess of 20 mph & with the exception of being in deep sand (you probably had to have the locker on to get to that speed in that particular section of terrain) I don't see any situation that you would need locker engaged going that fast (say, 20 mph & up) up hills w/ruts, thru water, whoopies, etc: Its my understanding that the locker was developed to put the maximum amount of traction & torque thru the wheels to the ground at the slowest possible speeds (ie; I don't see any crawlers attacking terrain at 10-15 mph much less 20 mph & above) But I absolutely agree with you about the "common sense" approach & I realize that driving a Prerunner you need to be on your toes a little more than most 4X's & granted the disclaimer in owners manual is maybe over-stressing the point, but I wouldn't just write it off as bullshit or lawyer speak . Just my opinion bro'.....
I agree. Its definitely more than lawsuit prevention.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #16
Love peace and Taco Grease
Dellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDellosa89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Dellosa89's Tacoma Gallery
Yea i go way over the 5mph, as long as your not being stupid like doing donuts in a dry parking lot you will be fine. when im going through really sandy washes at the desert im locked and going 50+ mph. But i am running only 31s so their isn't nearly that much stress on my diff compared to larger tires.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #17
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
It's a tool to get you unstuck or to make it so you won't get stuck. If you're cruising at 15-20mph you don't need it going. You're just having fun having it locked.
Really you should turn your locker on just before you need it to help you move through/over the obstacle, then you can turn it off again once you pass it.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #18
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
How about we go with use it when you want,If your afraid use it less.And if your making anything more than a sharp swerve turn it off.This post has seem to have hit the panic button on what the diff will handle,When all we were trying to do is let the OP know he does not have to sweat bullets at 16mph.I had a detroit in my 91 a few friends had them in there toyotas long before 2nd gens and in those cases your pretty much locked all the time,The parts can take SOME stress but use COMMON SENSE and do not panic! And 4WD I did not imply I was "Ivan Man Stewarting"down fire roads!lol Granted I do that from time to time but a little crusing with it on IMO is ok.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #19
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
LOL. Yea I use it quite a bit at Cleghorn but I try to turn it off as much as possible. Some of those bypasses can get crazy though. I think as long as I understand how the diff works, and how the locker works, and think about whats going on with it as I move through terrain ahead, I should be good. I hope.

We gotta do another trail soon.
You got it! That's what everyone should do - understand how it works and then work that into their driving. Especially tight turns while in 4WD - Nasty stuff for those cv joints!!!

And yes we do. We'll get something going. Next weekend is a Bill Burke deal. Maybe w/e after that.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #20

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=HBMurphy;1299435]You got it! That's what everyone should do - understand how it works and then work that into their driving. Especially tight turns while in 4WD - Nasty stuff for those cv joints!!!

The OP has a prerunner so this does not apply.You are just adding to the worry wart status of most of the new 4x4 owners out there.Either you guys are all lawyers or afraid of getting a call from one if someone elses truck breaks.Dont be an asshole when using the locker or 4wd.These trucks are stronger than you all seem to think and can take more of a beating than most of you will ever have your truck endure,go to TTORA for some hardcore examples.