Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need clarification in using 4x4

Old 01-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Need clarification in using 4x4

Will running 4x4 on a STRAIGHT stretch of road hurt the 4x4 mechanism. I do it once a month under 55 mph for about 5 miles to do what the manual says . Don't think driving in a straight line or very gradual turns can hurt anything. Need advive please.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Breazeale- Pronounced Brazil
toyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotadude5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: truck driver 1404
Name: chris
toyotadude5's Tacoma Gallery
i only use mine when i need it. I wouldnt even use it if its not needed
Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
you will not be hurting anything, especially in straight line driving, sharp curves on dry pavement will hurt the tires over time since they are not slipping around the turns. do as the manual says.
btw, I have not found that text in my manual, but have read many people say its in there
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah your fine,Turning is where the problems lie,sharp truns at that, a little swerve here and there is not going to grenade your truck,Just use common sense!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Gradual turns and straight runs probably won't hurt it too much. Do be careful tho....If you have to suddenly avoid something you can destroy your drive-line pretty quickly.
Tires aren't really the worry- Drive-line binding is the real damage problem.
What he said!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
I have a feeling this "ten miles a month" nonsense in the manual is going to cause Toyota more trouble than it helps.

The front and rear diffs are always spinning. Therefore, they always remain lubed. The t-case is sitting half-covered in oil and the gearing will have been fully covered in oil a fraction of a second after you engage 4wd.

Grease zerks are going to need their scheduled maintenance whether 4wd is used or not.

I've never seen a 4x4 fail to engage or operate properly just because it hadn't been used in a while.

As for the OP, I would never operate 4x4 on pavement. Even the small differences in pressure between different tires causes more wear than necessary. Just use 4x4 when you need it/can, and don't worry about the monthly sillyness.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
I have a feeling this "ten miles a month" nonsense in the manual is going to cause Toyota more trouble than it helps.

The front and rear diffs are always spinning. Therefore, they always remain lubed. The t-case is sitting half-covered in oil and the gearing will have been fully covered in oil a fraction of a second after you engage 4wd.

Grease zerks are going to need their scheduled maintenance whether 4wd is used or not.

I've never seen a 4x4 fail to engage or operate properly just because it hadn't been used in a while.

As for the OP, I would never operate 4x4 on pavement. Even the small differences in pressure between different tires causes more wear than necessary. Just use 4x4 when you need it/can, and don't worry about the monthly sillyness.
This is my feeling as well. I would never drive in 4WD on dry pavement. The little bit I do use my 4WD is enough to keep it operating well.

The OP is in PA, so I would think at this time of year he'll get some use in now and then for real reasons anyway. In the summer months, my 4WD gets used very rarely.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Guess I should look for the "4x4 10 miles/month" thing in the manual. But risking drivetrain damage doesn't sound fun. Maybe just driving a straight line in a parking lot @ 5 mph wouldn't be too risky just to make sure the 4x4 knob works
Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
just try to find a dirt or gravel road to drive on every once in awhile....but i mean it's really not necessary to drive 10 miles a month like it says in the manual
Old 01-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
PA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nicePA452 is just really nice

Army:
PA452's Tacoma Gallery
Also, I think if you are going to do that, if you don't have access to private property where you can get off road, at a minimum, do it on a dirt/gravel road.

But again, I wouldn't bother at all. I'd just use it when you need it.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #12
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
I do it on a straight road, I have seen actuators go bad frm not being shifted that often.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
i never did anything on my '88 toyo...just used 4wd when i needed it which wasn't very often at all....never had any problems with anything
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I would never use 4wd on pavement. I've never gone by "drive in 4wd 10 miles a month." I do however use it in the winter with the snow and ice, and in the summer on dirt roads and trails. I usually engage it for a few miles anytime I'm on dirt whether I need it or not just to keep things lubed up, but don't make a special trip every month. I did the same with my last Toyota and 350,000 miles later I never had any issues with the 4wd system...and that was with a system where the only time the front components turned was when the hubs were locked.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
HankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud ofHankB has much to be proud of
Name: Hank
HankB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
'95 F250 4x4 - auto locking hubs and a lever on the floor sticking out of the transfer case.

This was a low mileage vehicle - It still has about 60K miles on it. I meant to put it into 4x4 periodically, but it was the kind of thing I frequently forgot to do. As a result, I had a lot of difficulty with the automatic hubs. After a couple of rebuilds, I finally swapped them with manual hubs. The other problem was getting it into 4-Lo. That got to be really hard.

The hubs are not an issue on the Tacoma since they are always locked. However, I would be concerned about letting the mechanism that shifts the transfer case sit unused for too long.

Incidentally, this is on page 176 in my manual under "(b) A. D. D. (automatic disconnecting differential)" It states
Quote:
The A. D. D. can be engaged or disengaged by the shifting operations described in "(c) shifting procedure."
You should drive in four-wheel drive for at least 16 km (10 miles) each month. This will assure that the front drive components are lubricated."
We have a Prerunner so this is purely academic to me.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Jonny Taco, if it rains or snows then use the 4WD... keep it working. If it doesn't rain or snow at least once a month, then find dirt field or dirt driveway... It shouldn't be that hard to find.

Is the weather always that dry in PA? Have fun!!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Or, find a beach somewhere...

Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #18
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't necessarily write off the manuals recomendation of "10 miles a month" as nonsense, actually I'd recommend engaging ANY 4x at least 3-4 times a year on a DIRT ROAD, dirt lot, whatever just to make sure it still DOES engage ( I've seen newer 4x's that are electrically engaged (shift on the fly) fail after a long stint without using 4 wheel drive only because the components weren't energized , they had to unplug & re-plug the connections, I don't think you need to drive 10 miles but I would defininetly NOT DO IT ON PAVEMENT, EVEN IN STRAIGHT LINE, if any of you have had a 4x with manual locking hubs then you know about having your hubs "spool out" on you & having to roll your rig back & forth to get them to dis-engage or sometimes even to engage......

Just my opinion.......

Old 01-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
The MOST Badass Offroad Truck
BravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shedBravesFan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
BravesFan's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry im stupid but please explain to me why using 4x4 on dry pavement is worse then using it on sand or a hard dirt road? And don't just say "because it F's things up"
Old 01-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #20
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesFan View Post
Sorry im stupid but please explain to me why using 4x4 on dry pavement is worse then using it on sand or a hard dirt road? And don't just say "because it F's things up"

Because it F's things up

Also see here:

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html

Bottom line: High traction surfaces are a NO NO. Use 4wd only in low traction...you shouldn't need it in high traction anyway.