Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Now I'm in a little bit of a pickle, Dick...

Old 01-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Now I'm in a little bit of a pickle, Dick...

So, got the rear TSB done today (gained 1.5" if anyone's interested) and the dealership replaced all four shocks and the rear springs even though I have a TRD Sport and they were only supposed to do the rear springs. I was planning on using the rear TSB as the starting point of my 3" lift but now my complete suspension (except the front springs) is brand new. I'm doing the 3" strictly for looks as I do very limited off-roading. Now I'm faced with options that I didn't anticipate.

Option 1: Just put more aggressive tires on that will fit with the stock suspension and call it good until they need replacing and then go with the 285/70-17s I want to ultimately go with along with the 3" lift

Option 2: Screw it...rip the brand new shocks off and install the 3" OME lift and sell the shocks to someone without a TRD package. Then I buy and run the 285/70-17s I want.

Wondering what I could get for the new Billy shocks? Staying with my "new" stock suspension, I don't have to deal with the shakes/shimmies/what-ever-else I'm gonna create by lifting. It was like driving a new truck home from the dealership...damn it...now I don't know what to do!

I know it's ultimately up to me but am wondering what your thoughts are???
Old 01-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
option 2
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
ekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of lightekard is a glorious beacon of light

ekard's Tacoma Gallery
Option 2. That's what you really want right?

You didn't spend any money on those shocks, so you're not loosing anything.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Option 2. Hook a fellow TW member up that dosent have the trd billies.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Option 2
Old 01-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Option 2 FTW!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
lift it and sell the new shocks u took off to offset the cost of the lift
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
choda is on a distinguished road

Name: chad
choda's Tacoma Gallery
2 all day
Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Opt. 2
Old 01-09-2010, 09:31 PM   #15
dustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nice
Army:
Name: Dustin
dustin19d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusher View Post
I'm doing the 3" strictly for looks as I do very limited off-roading.
OPTION #3 Lift it and keep the brand new shocks Toyota so kindly provided. Save Dime $$

If your lifting for looks and you don't off-road then there's no need to get new shocks.

Now what kinda 3" are you looking at? Spacers / 885's / or 5100 coilovers (will need new shocks )
Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
Keep it like this, You have a good suspension and did not cost you nothing.
Now hold on, I am not your enemy, and I am not a terrorist aider. Lets think about it:
Toyota has engineers, designers and 60 years experience, our site has good people, some very knowledgeable , but some of them are still confused about " how many times we swipe after a big dump." I just talked with a young guy who added $11000.00 on his truck, and he still has a payment of $430.00 for the next 5 years. Do you want to take advice from him. I hope I'll be understood, than again, we only have one life,.... and only one ass hole.
take care
vbibi
Old 01-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
dustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nicedustin19d is just really nice
Army:
Name: Dustin
dustin19d's Tacoma Gallery
Gusher, not sure what the F**k this guy is talking about ^^^
The shock controls rebound to prevent your vehicle from bouncing up and down when it hits a bump. Adding a 3" lift just preloads your front suspension and lifts your rear. So basicly your suspension losses 3" of downtravel. If your just a street truck then you won't ever need that 3" of downtravel so you will never hit shock extension. The shocks toyota put on are just fine for your aplication.
Now when you lift it you will feel it's become stiffer..... Most people, post lift will think they need new shocks to soften the ride but it has nothing to do with the shocks, its the springs. Preloading the front and AAL's in the rear to push it up 3" will make it stiffer requardless of shock.

A proper lift is $$ Your lift will result in a stiff ride requardless of shocks...Save money, keep the shocks.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
Option 2. When I got my billy 5100's I sold all four TRD-Offroad shocks for $50
Old 01-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
You're not going to generate much revenue from the sale of your new TRD Bilsteins. Keep the TRD Bilsteins in case you want to switch back to stock later on down the road when you trade/sell, etc. Unless you are so financially strapped that you really need that $50 to go towards the lift, in which case you shouldn't be getting it in the first place.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #20
SUPERCHARGED!!!
gusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgusher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Greg
gusher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin19d View Post
OPTION #3 Lift it and keep the brand new shocks Toyota so kindly provided. Save Dime $$

If your lifting for looks and you don't off-road then there's no need to get new shocks.

Now what kinda 3" are you looking at? Spacers / 885's / or 5100 coilovers (will need new shocks )
Planning on OME 886 coils and an AAL in the rear. Then 5100s if if I need them. I went from a F-350 Crew Cab to the Tacoma and am not interested in getting back into a suspension that "loosens the fillings" on every bump. I have read the 10,000 posts regarding lifting; "doing it right the first time", "spacers are bad", "you'll definitely need new shocks"...there's so much information that contradicts other information. I know I'll only know once I do it.

Like many, I really like the look for a 3" lift and 33s and just don't want to break the bank doing it or get in a situation where I wish I hadn't lifted it. It's a daily driver but there's no reason I can't have a bad ass looking daily driver like many of you!