1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

aftermarket sub with stock deck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by waldo, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    nuddle

nuddle nuddle

Member:
    First Name:
    aleese
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DC Longbed 4x4
    BHLM, custom painted interior pieces, simple sound system
    I bought the clean sweep and have it ready for install. I also have my box made and everything is ready to go. Im crossing my fingers for it all to sound good. I also like my stock deck because of the 6 cd changer and steering controls.

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Let me know how you like the clean sweep. I have a stock head unit with image dynamics speakers and amp, it's on my list, but closer to the bottom.

3. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    nuddle

nuddle nuddle

Member:
    First Name:
    aleese
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    I will let you know. I am not too sure when I am going to get it installed since I start work tomorrow. But when I do I will let you know.

4. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    b168

b168 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    6" Pro Comp Lift 35" Xtreme A/T Pro Comp Tires 4.56 Gears
    It will sound ok but not as good. Dont expect that'll will sound the same as having an aftermarket HU. Just be careful of the static u'll be hearing.

just a suggestion, if u have the budget to go for aftermarket hu, go for it dont worry bout the remote on the steering wheel. u can get those PAC's that'll will make ur steering controls work. believe me i just had all of it redone with the help and good advise from mr. marv and sam.

5. Feb 8, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Not trying to sell my situation or change subjects, but I thought the same thing about keeping the stock HU and ended up going aftermarket.

I think aftermarket HUs look far better in person than they do in the pictures here. I am really happy with the way mine looks and can only imagine now nice some of the double din units look. As others mention, just changing the HU was a huge improvement, let alone having added new speakers, a sub, and amps for each. You are likely to spend nearly the same amount for sub, cleansweep, etc. and not get nearly the same performance from what I understand.

YMMV.

6. Feb 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    nuddle

nuddle nuddle

Member:
    First Name:
    aleese
    Canada
    Vehicle:

well i have had after market stereos before and i know they work well and sound great.. but i just really don't want one for some reason in my truck. and i couldn't imagine having a double din.. too bright and almost not really worth it for me. im going to see how the clean sweep sounds and if i dont like it i might just have to go aftermarket anyways.

7. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    FurbiesAndBeans

FurbiesAndBeans Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '10 Toyota 4x4 TRD Sport
    You can use a standard LOC to get RCAs out of your factory stereo. If you have the JBL Stereo, you have to make sure you get the hi level instead of the low level signals. This usually means finding the amplifier and wiring it AFTER the amplifier, otherwise you won't get enough juice out of the LOC.

I've had LOCs installed in both my Mazdaspeed 3 and 07 Camry. I'm more than happy with them and glad i went with the stock look keeping all my steering controls and gismos.

However, if you're looking for really good sound quality and keeping the stock stereo, look into either a JL Clean Sweep or the RF 3Sixty.1

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?item_id=106185

Products Discussed in

To Top