Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locking Gas Cap

Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Chris999 is on a distinguished road
Chris999's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Gas Cap

What's the best locking gas cap that won't set off the check engine light. Want to know where and what brand.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
sthnreb is on a distinguished road
sthnreb's Tacoma Gallery
Locking Cap

I'm searching for a locking cap for a 08 standard Tacoma. I've read the Stant is no good and by pushing down on it and turning, it will open without a key. Is this true and if so, what kind is the best?
Old 10-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Fish Cop is on a distinguished road
Fish Cop's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a 2009 Tacoma Access Cab and needed a locking gas cap too. I saw it as an accessory in the 2010 brochure so I went to my local dealership and bought one. It's a Toyota cap and fits my truck perfectly.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
Amazon.com shows the Stant 10509 and 11509 as both fitting my 2006 Tacoma 4cyl 2wd automatic. The difference between the two is: the 10509 has the triangle notches 180 deg. apart on the part that slips inside the filler neck, and the 11509 has threads. My stock cap has the notches so it's the 10509 for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
interm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant futureinterm_4 has a brilliant future
Name: Matt
interm_4's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know when your CEL light comes on for the loose gas cap, when fixed how long does it take until the light goes away? or should it go away immediately?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
JCM_Buford is on a distinguished road
Name: JC
JCM_Buford's Tacoma Gallery
Takes about five start and stop cycles for some cars, not sure yet about the Tacoma
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Been using the stant one for yrs without issue.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
theGodfather is on a distinguished road

Name: Vanni
theGodfather's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use a locking gas cap. They are a terrible idea and I can't believe how long it's taken dealers to finally GAS them, pun intended. New trucks don't use them. They should make the door itself push in like Honda's have.

Coincidentally I need a new cap as mine broke today. Yes, it was the manufactured locking one. Piece of crap!
Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGodfather View Post
Don't use a locking gas cap. They are a terrible idea and I can't believe how long it's taken dealers to finally GAS them, pun intended. New trucks don't use them. They should make the door itself push in like Honda's have.

Coincidentally I need a new cap as mine broke today. Yes, it was the manufactured locking one. Piece of crap!
wut
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Been using the stant one for yrs without issue.
Same here
Old 05-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #13
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Have had a stant locking gas cap since new in 2009.
have had no cel lights or any other problems
Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I just got one for my truck and it is peace of mind knowing someone can't mess with my gas
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #15
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by interm_4 View Post
does anyone know when your CEL light comes on for the loose gas cap, when fixed how long does it take until the light goes away? or should it go away immediately?
Anytime you do a repair due to a warning light or cel, after you have completed your repair just reset your computer simply by unhooking the battery for a 1/2-1hr or so. This should clear all codes, warning lights, etc..
Old 05-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
theGodfather is on a distinguished road

Name: Vanni
theGodfather's Tacoma Gallery
Where's the best place to get a new gas cap? Interested to see where you guys got yours...
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGodfather View Post
Where's the best place to get a new gas cap? Interested to see where you guys got yours...
I ordered my Stant at my local auto parts store , had it the next day