1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Tacoma Trade-In Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Outlaw, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    Tuffy2

Tuffy2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Hartford, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    Before retiring I was a purchasing manager. Part of my responsibility was procurement of our company vehicles. Through this experiance and many years of purchasing my own I have learned several things about this process. Here are some.

Always' find out what your vehicle is worth before even going into a dealership.

Always' find out what their vehicle is worth before going into a dealership.

Check Kelly Blue Book, or Edmonds for these numbers and also for any rebate programs available.

Never trade down in model years, unless you absolutely cannot afford to trade up.

Always' buy in the last day of the month, quarter, or year.

Do not buy the rust protection, seat protection, or any other program they are selling.

Do not buy an extended warranty.

If special low interest factory financing is not available, get your own from your bank, or credit union.

A car dealer is never a friend. You will never earn any loyalty points for being a repeat customer. They are in business to make money and they will make as much money off of you as you allow them to.

Always' get them to throw something in for free before closing the deal. They will never let you walk for a $100, or $200 add on.

A car or truck is always' a poor investment, your job is to make it not quite as bad. Do your homework and you can negotiate from the same knowledge that they have.;)

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    THanks again Tuffy2!

Always' find out what your vehicle is worth before even going into a dealership.
    Did that!
    Always' find out what their vehicle is worth before going into a dealership.
    Did that too!
    Check Kelly Blue Book, or Edmonds for these numbers and also for any rebate programs available.
    Yep!
    Never trade down in model years, unless you absolutely cannot afford to trade up.
    Never heard that before, Thanks! :)
    Always' buy in the last day of the month, quarter, or year.
    Okay. I will do my best with that. how does that help?
    Do not buy the rust protection, seat protection, or any other program they are selling.
    Didnt on my last one. Thanks for reassuring me I did the right thing.

Do not buy an extended warranty.
    Ditto!
    If special low interest factory financing is not available, get your own from your bank, or credit union.
    Hope to get same deal 2.9 %. My credit union could only do 5%
    A car dealer is never a friend. You will never earn any loyalty points for being a repeat customer. They are in business to make money and they will make as much money off of you as you allow them to.
    True!

Always' get them to throw something in for free before closing the deal. They will never let you walk for a $100, or $200 add on.
    What should I have them throw in? DIfferent Tires? Bed Mat?

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    Outlaw...
    This is how buying at the end of the month, quarter or year will help you.
    Most companies work on a four quarter accounting system. At the end of these months the dealer is trying to boost his numbers as much as possible to make the books look better to the owner of the company, therefore making him look better and possibly getting a bonus that no one else knows about. At these times of the year, the dealer wants the sale as much or worse that you want the new truck. So if you can go into the dealer at the end of a month and quarter, your chances of getting that "wife can't say no deal" get better. Most companies end their quarters in the following months (March, June, September and December). So try to go in at the ends of one of these months if possible. Also, your truck may be the truck that puts the salesman over his budget or quota for the month/quarter, so he may sweeten the pot by giving up some of his commission. Because the bonus he may get for selling you your new truck may be a better incentive to him than just getting his regular commission by selling you at his normal profit margin. Hope this was not too confusing.

4. Jan 14, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    bmd

bmd Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    d
    RI
    Vehicle:
    08' access cab trd offroad 6spd
    ARB bull bar, Weathertech floorliners and rain guards, Jeraco cap
    Keep the truck. Get your back fixed up.

5. Jan 14, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    Tuffy2

Tuffy2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Hartford, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    If you want a bed mat, different floor mats, sill protectors, or anything within reason, before you say yes, that is the time to get it. Just tell them that if they throw in XYZ you will take the truck. If they try to hold steady, just tell them that you want to go home and think about it. You will not get to the door.

6. Jan 14, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    Outlaw

Outlaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    Thankyou Thankyou everyone!!!
    Lots of great tips and I very much appreciate it!
    thanks everyone.:):):):):):):)
    Time to close this thread

Products Discussed in

To Top