1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Tacoma Trade-In Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Outlaw, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Jan 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    Outlaw

Outlaw [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    I need your guys' help.
    I need to trade in my 2009 Tacoma Acc Cab, TRD Off Road 4x4, V6, BSP,Manual Transmission because of back health reasons. It just hurts to push in the clutch so I want an Auto Trans.
    I cant find the same truck, color, acc cab, TRD Off Road in an Auto Trans anywhere.
    I can only get 22,500 trade in value for mine with 21,000 miles in excellent condition.
    My dealer will sell me similar 2010 for about the same as I paid for my 2009, but auto trans is $1,000 more. Sport instead of Off Road is about $450 cheaper, so difference of about $650.
    On the lot they have a used 2008(year older) Double Cab Long Bed TRD Sport 4x4 Auto with only 14,000 miles. They want 27,900 for it.
    Salesman said he would sell to me for 2 grand less 25,900.

Selling myself is a pain and I dont have time to sell myself, so Id be losing a couple grand by trading in.
    I still owe 24,000 for mine, so again there is 1,500 bucks.
    So my questions for you are:
    Would you sell yourself to try and get max value or take trade in value?
    then: buy a new 2010 with the color/options you want?
    or : Buy the used double cab on the lot for 25,900?

these are very tough questions for me, and though I love my truck, i really want an auto trans.
    thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!

2. Jan 12, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    MurphyZ

MurphyZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    I HATE SPICYTACOS
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    97 4runner, 08 Tundy
    89 SAS 3.4 1st gen 4runner- Sold 3.4 swap cut hood for clearance exhaust x-over and magnaflow muffler lockright in the rear SAS 83 toy axle (Wab-Fab) 4xinnovations sliders roof rack from 2nd gen for kayak.
    do you need the 2010? if not just get the 08 it costs less and the sport is nice. i love mine. plus the difference in cost will be multiplied by the years financed(spelling). so it could end up costing more down the road.

PS hope you get feeling better.

3. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Sorry to hear that back problems are forcing that decision. I can understand how important that sort of thing is. SWMBO advised me that she would not consider a manual for our recently purchased '06 as her hip (clutch side) is starting to bother her in our other vehicles. As fuel mileage is good with the auto, I didn't have an issue with her decision.

I don't see any good way around taking a financial beating in making the swap. One thing working in your favor is the low depreciation rate on the Taco. It could be worse if those took a big hit in the first year or two of ownership. As it stands, the dealer will not deal if they cannot make money. It's what they do.

The only thing I can suggest is that you post a "want to trade" on the forums and you might get lucky and find someone with a similar auto that wishes they had gotten a manual.

A lot of this boils down to how fast you need to make the switch vs. how important the money is.

Good luck getting into a truck you are comfortable with.

4. Jan 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    go with the 08, that way you wont have to take a beating with the money.
    You can make it up years down the road on the next taco.
    Hope the back isnt affecting the harley!!

5. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    i'll sell u mine!

6. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM
    Tuffy2

Tuffy2 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Hartford, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    It sound like your dealer is trying to rip you off. He is going to charge you more for a 2008 than he wants to give you for your 2009. You will wind up being more "upside down" on that 2008 than you already are on your 2009.

I would go on Kelley Blue book, or NADA and check the values on both trucks. Your best bet is to sell your truck yourself, or try to trade someone privately.

7. Jan 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    id go with the 08, you get a low low mileage truck you can have a DC and still have the same size bed plus you get your automatic. Anyway you slice it your going to be upside down so go with whatever option hurts the least to your check book, but if you plan on keeping for a while you may need the four doors down the road more and more. Good luck and hope that back feels better especially when it comes to riding season

8. Jan 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    By trading your truck in on a new one, you'll make the couple grand you lose back on sales tax savings. On a new truck you're taxed on (New Truck Price -Trade In) * sales tax rate. You're looking at thousands in tax savings by trading in on a new truck.

9. Jan 13, 2010 at 4:17 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    A smart private party sale or purchase saves you money but it is clearly a pain in the a$$. It takes time so what is your time worth? Also, while the manual trans on yours would not bother me, it does scale down the size of your buying market.

$22500 for a trade isn't great and you could probably do a little better on the price of the 08 but trading and buying from a stealer is easy. 14K miles is nothing and the new truck bumper to bumper warranty transfers. If the 08 DC Sport 4X4 is clean, I'd probably take the easy way out and trade my manual and jump on the 08.

I'm told there are just a few differences between the 08 and a 2010. I believe in 09 side air bags became standard. There is at least one other small difference that I can't remember.

If it were me I'd save my time, my back, and my money and buy the 08. Good luck.

10. Jan 13, 2010 at 4:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I'd just go for the 08 but make sure all the TSBs for leafs, tailgate & whatever else have been done & hopefully it is certified preowned so you'll get the remainder of a 7yr/100k drivetrain warranty. Other than that, go for it, you seem way less upside down moneywise in making that deal than most would be now days trying to do something similar with any other make of vehicle. Shit, we lost about 9g to get out from under a POS 06 Volvo s40 & get my wife into a new 07 v6 RAV4........It still hurts but feel it woulda only gotten worse had we not done it when we did.

11. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:21 AM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    ztx1000- I dont need the '10, but would like to have the truck I really want. i forgot to mention the '08 is Blue, and im partial to black.
    HankB- Thanks. I might just see if anyone wants to trade their auto for a manual.
    skistoy- While its not Riding season now, I hope I can still ride a little this summer without too much discomfort, but it certainly has had an affect.
    TacoSupreem- While Im sure you have a sweet truck, Im not willing to trade down 3 years. Thanks for the offer.
    Tuffy2- I honestly dont think the dealer is trying to rip me off. though the truck is a year older, it has less miles, and an auto trans is $1000 more than the manual. I certainly could get more than 22,5 if sold it myself. Dealer may give me another 4 or 5 hundred bucks if thats what it takes.
    Silver 10- thanks for the advice and encouraging words!
    steviestyles-thats what I was thinking. The couple grand I loose for trade I would make up on trade in tax. Ends up being pretty even. The system sure is screwed up huh!
    saf023-Unfortunately i just dont have time to try and sell myself, as I travel for my job. I will have to see what the warranty is on the DC, an you're right, 14k miles is nothing, the engine may not even broke in yet!
    T@co_Pr3runn3r- I hope that most of he TSB work is done. I will have to look at what options it has vs what mine has and see if i cant use that to get me an even better deal. Since thedealer is already offering to sell me the DC for $2k less than what they are asking, I dont know if he has any room to budge.
    Im hearing most of you say go for the 08 DC which is a little more truck than what I have now and at about 4grand less than buying new, but would pay less taxes on 2010.
    The other thing is that I cannot find a 2009 or 2010 like mine. TRD OR 4x4 Access Cab V6 in BSP. Its weird. I find pre runners, double cab short beds, and SR5tacos similar, but not like what I got.
    The 08 DC is blue, which is a nice color, but why do I want black so bad?
    The dealer doesnt have any 2010 in Black coming in. Mag Grey would be my next choice. none of those coming either.
    I guess its back to the drawing board.

12. Jan 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    So if you don't want to deal with selling it yourself then the dealer is probably giving you a fair shake. You might make a few more bucks but by then the 08 double cab will be gone. He is making the trade with you and in essence he is doing the work to take yours and sell it. Besides you will be getting a double cab with automatic. It's gonna hold is resale value a lot better than the access cab. There is also the benefit (while minor) of increased gas mileage of the auto over the stick.
    Just my two cents. Oh and don't foget to take off any goodies you have on your current rig so you can put them on the other.
    Ken:cool:

13. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Thanks Tuckr2 Ken!
    Im gonna have to look a little deeper into the 08 DC and see how clean, what warranty it still has, and any other options.
    If I can find a new 2010 Acc Cab in a preferred color, I might just have to do that as what Steviestyles mentioned Im taxed on the new vehicle-(minus)trade in *(times)sales tax rate, so would see a significant savings in taxes(close to $2,000)which sort of compensates the fact that I would be losing $2,000 trade in value.

14. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    HankB

HankB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    near Chicago
    Vehicle:
    06 Preruner TRD Off Road
    bone stock
    Check with your license bureau as it varies by state.

15. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    and if there are any rebate incentives going on right now they would make up for you being upside down on the truck. if you owe 23,500 and they will only give you 22,500 and there is a 2,000 rebate on a new truck then that will cover you and knock off 1k off the price of the new truck. just something to look into

16. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    jamesglynn

jamesglynn James

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road, Dble Cab, Magnetic Gray
    I totally agree with Tuffy2.
    When making this decision, you have to start at www.kbb.com
    You need to know exactly where you stand. I was somewhat in the same condition you are in, but different circumstances. I got online got exact trade-in, private party and retail values. I then settled on a fair asking price as if I were going to private party sale. I made a very professional looking leaflet and taped it to the window of the door and done a heck of a detail job. The next day I took it to the dealer (which happen to be in late December which is end of month, fiscal quarter and fiscal year) and acted as if I were going to sell it myself and I'm only here on the lot now to get an idea what a new one is before I come back. They would not let me get off the lot, they ended up giving me my asking price as trade in and discounting the new 2010 about $2300. Always remember, if you can catch them in a pinch or tight spot, such as at the end of the month/quarter, they need the sale as much as you want the new truck. May not work everytime but it worked very well for me.

17. Jan 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had to get an automatic for the same reasons - totally worth it IMO.

18. Jan 13, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Hank B i will check how that works, but I was talking to my dad last night about it and he had metioned the same thing, and he has purchased, traded, leased, sold by owner lots of vehicles in his lifetime.
    Keason1* I dont know of any incentives they are offering at this time but i will check. I financed through Toyota at on my last truck (2.9APR for 60 months) which was much better than my credit union would give me, Im hoping to get the same financing.
    jamesglynn- i have lookd at KBB and Edmunds etc. KBB says 21,500 in excellent condition for trade value. Edmunds is similar, Private party was around 23,5. Thanks for the tips, i really do have a pretty good relaionship with the sales guy. He cant just give me whatever I want though. Hes gotta make a living.
    lightfire-I would like to hear more about your experience if you car to share. Glad Im not the only one having to give up driving a stick because of back problems, but it still sucks huh?!

19. Jan 13, 2010 at 3:43 PM
    lightfire

lightfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, back problem DO suck.
    Couple of things. Don't wear your wallet in your back pocket. Put in front pocket or on your seat when in your truck. Makes a big difference.
    Suggest you try to find a clinical qigong or Asian bodywork therapy practitioner to give you relief so you can enjoy your Tacoma. The auto can help; it does for me. Actually what I like the best about this Tacoma is this auto transmission - will never go back to a stick.

20. Jan 14, 2010 at 6:45 AM
    Outlaw

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Ive been having back issues for years, but in August something different.
    So after many many chiro visits to no avail I went to a ortho doc and got an MRI and showed a bulging disc. I have an epideral shot in September that has worn off, and still having problems. I started wearing my wallet in my front pocket about 5 years ago.
    yoga may be the next thing I try, but not my cup of tea.
    Thanks for the advice, and glad to know the move from Manual to Auto has helped you and hopefully will for me too!

Products Discussed in

To Top