Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blue Sea aux fuse block install

Old 01-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
tooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kellon
tooblutacoma06's Tacoma Gallery
Blue Sea aux fuse block install

I hate messy wires. This is a great way to clean up all your wires and make your accessory wiring much safer and easier to get to incase of problems.

I started with a cardboard template for the mounting plate:

From there, I went to my local metal supply shop and picked up a 12"x12" section of 3/16" aluminum (I forget which alloy it was. Make sure it's workable though). I had the shop put a 90deg bend in it. I then cut it to the dimensions of the template and had it powdercoated:

Equipment installed on the mounting plate: Blue Sea Systems 12 circuit fuse box and a Blue Sea Systems 100A panel mount breaker.

I wanted to get nice solid battery terminals as well. I opted for military spec terminals. They are extra beefy and won't corrode on me.

Here is the panel mounted. As you can see in the photo, I also added relays to the panel for current and future accessories. I have relay sockets that will allow for easy removal of the panel if need be. I have room for atleast 3 relays on the panel.

I wish I would have taken before pictures. I feel a whole lot better about my wires now. Everything is nice and clean and easy to get to. I highly suggest one of these fuse blocks for auxiliary circuits. Let me know what you think!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
that is the way i like it there, good job.this could be a sticky.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
911-3.2 is on a distinguished road

911-3.2's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice. I have that same one in my boat. Blue Seas makes some nice stuff!
Old 01-15-2010, 06:46 AM   #6
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
VERY nice job on the bracket!
X2 makes mine look like a hack job! lol
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
i have a similar set up. that mount is nice. wanna make one for me??!!??..... nudge nudge, wink wink
Old 01-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
iTaco
Ronin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud ofRonin has much to be proud of

Navy: SAR Swimmer
Name: Al
Ronin's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice. Very professional.

-Al
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
tooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooblutacoma06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks guys! Everything works really well with this setup. I'm still not done cleaning up all the wires and tidying everything up. I'm using sockets for easy disconnects from the relays. With my next wiring project (roof lights) I'll almost have the block filled! That's kinda crazy.

If you guys want a bracket like mine made, PM me and we can discuss a price and details.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Nice job in the install. I like your wiring, I like that your not using the cheese-ball pre insulated stereo shop connectors that you have no idea if you got a good crimp or not. Use a quality connector and shrink wrap the end. This would make a great sticky.
Skimping on connectors can cause troubles that's for sure! It's worth it to take a few extra seconds to make sure the crimp is secure and seal it up with heat-shrink. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
great job!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
eschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rougheschmunk is a jewel in the rough

eschmunk's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely want to do something like this. I might try it out once I do my OBA/Trainhorn setup. Would be good for driving lights as well. Good job.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #14
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
very clean install
Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
Hey guys, I posted an order thread for the brackets if anyone is interested:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...fs-thread.html
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
forgive my ignorance, but what is the point/purpose of the breaker? i have one of these and have been meaning to install it, but might add that breaker if it makes sense to me. is it absolutely necessary?

could you please expand on that and where you got it, thanks!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh2000 View Post
forgive my ignorance, but what is the point/purpose of the breaker? i have one of these and have been meaning to install it, but might add that breaker if it makes sense to me. is it absolutely necessary?

could you please expand on that and where you got it, thanks!
The circuit breaker takes the place of a fuse. Instead of having to replace a fuse incase it blows, you just flip the switch. Same as a house. To me, it's a more robust and a cleaner option. Also, if I'm out on the road or off the road and don't happen to have fuses with me, I can just flip the switch and have everything working again. A little more spendy but worth it.

I'm thinking I ordered mine from boatersworld.com but you can just search blue sea 12v circuit breaker and you'll have tons of results.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
Tim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant futureTim A has a brilliant future

Air Force: TSgt
Tim A's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work OP. I'm thinking about doing "add-a-circuits" but this looks like a much better way to add accessories.

I have a couple questions. The answers will probably be simple to you...I'm a 12V noob!

- I see that you have a large fuse mounted near the battery. Since you said you don't have a fuse between the battery and the aux fuse box, I'm assuming that fuse I'm seeing is for a stereo HU inside the cab? Why did you opt not to run whatever that is off of the new aux fuse panel?

-Do you have multiple grounds coming off the battery? If so, what is the purpose of multiple grounds?

-Do you have a wiring diagram that you could share? Hate to be a copy-cat but I like the way you did went about installing the aux panel.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
Nice work OP. I'm thinking about doing "add-a-circuits" but this looks like a much better way to add accessories.

I have a couple questions. The answers will probably be simple to you...I'm a 12V noob!

- I see that you have a large fuse mounted near the battery. Since you said you don't have a fuse between the battery and the aux fuse box, I'm assuming that fuse I'm seeing is for a stereo HU inside the cab? Why did you opt not to run whatever that is off of the new aux fuse panel?

-Do you have multiple grounds coming off the battery? If so, what is the purpose of multiple grounds?

-Do you have a wiring diagram that you could share? Hate to be a copy-cat but I like the way you did went about installing the aux panel.

Thanks in advance
Hey Tim! Thanks for the compliments. It took a while of planning and sourcing parts to get it all done.

1) You are correct. The fuse in the clear plastic holder is the fuse for my stereo system. The reason it is not in the Blue Sea box is because its amperage exceeds the max amperage limit for the box (I think it's 40A per circuit). And also, I opted to install a circuit breaker between the auxiliary fuse block and the battery instead of a fuse. I would highly, highly recommend installing either a circuit breaker or a fuse large enough to cover your circuits in front of the fuse box. The circuit breaker is great because you can reset it if it blows instead of buying more fuses. It's 100A rated.

2) The grounds from the battery were rewired with 4 AWG wire. I have the original grounds and one that goes to the fuse block so that I could ground the circuits to the fuse block instead of random places on the truck. It's just cleaner and more accessible this way.

3) Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram drawn up. If you follow the pictures though, it's pretty easy. I didn't do anything spectacular or different than OEM. Just added the necessary power and ground wires for the fuse block. The wiring for the individual circuits depends ofcourse on the add-on. If you have anymore questions just let me know.

I hope I could help a little bit anyways. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
I am getting ready to tackle this feat...I already have the fuse block and circuit breaker. I am working on the steel plate. Thanks for ideas and write up!