Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dry Bearing Sound Tacoma 2007

Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
cdh55 is on a distinguished road
cdh55's Tacoma Gallery
Question Dry Bearing Sound Tacoma 2007

I have a 2007 Tacoma standard cab 4x4 standard transmission...When I go above 65 mph and let off the gas I get a dry bearing sound from the drive train...Does not do it all the time...Does it in 4th or 5th gear...The dealer first changed the rear end...That did nothing...Then they lubed the slip joint and it was quiet for about 1000 miles...Then they replace the drive shaft and again it was quiet for about 1000 miles...When the noise comes back, it occurs with increased regularity....Does anyone else have this problem, or do I have a lemon????Thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh55 View Post
I have a 2007 Tacoma standard cab 4x4 standard transmission...When I go above 65 mph and let off the gas I get a dry bearing sound from the drive train...Does not do it all the time...Does it in 4th or 5th gear...The dealer first changed the rear end...That did nothing...Then they lubed the slip joint and it was quiet for about 1000 miles...Then they replace the drive shaft and again it was quiet for about 1000 miles...When the noise comes back, it occurs with increased regularity....Does anyone else have this problem, or do I have a lemon????Thanks in advance
They replaced the whole drive shaft, and the sound came back? That is odd.

Maybe get a custom shaft instead of the Toyota one that keeps going bad?

Mine is doing this too and has done so for awhile. Haven't gotten around to changing it. It's mostly just annoying.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
YuriKapustin is on a distinguished road
YuriKapustin's Tacoma Gallery
From my experience, the carrier bearing will go bad on those when you lift it. or wheel a lot. Its a simple fix. Buy a new carrier bearig and bolt it in. From how explained it, the same thing happened to by buddies 06'
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriKapustin View Post
From my experience, the carrier bearing will go bad on those when you lift it. or wheel a lot. Its a simple fix. Buy a new carrier bearig and bolt it in. From how explained it, the same thing happened to by buddies 06'
No carrier bearing on regular cabs
Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I've noticed my '06 regular cab 4X4 with the 5sp (18,000 miles) doing this too, exactly as the OP described. Looks like he's long gone and didn't post anything about whether or not he found out what the cause was.

After buying this truck about 2 weeks ago, I changed out the rear diff and transmission fluids, as well as greased the driveshaft, among other things. The "dry bearing" or metallic grinding can still be heard/felt when lifting off the gas in 4th or 5th gear at >60mph. I only picked up it after a few days of driving it to work and back, it's barely audible above normal road noise.

One thing to note is that the trans fluid was very black with a slight dark gray tinge from the super fine metal particles suspended in it (couldn't feel them, only see them with a very bright flashlight). It seemed much thinner than the Redline MT-90 I put in, and it had a super sweet smell rather than the gear oil smell.

Does black fluid indicate overheating or burning?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #6
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
My 2010 does this occasionally. I don't think it has to do with the driveshaft or rear end as it only does it when letting off the gas in 5th not any other gear and only above 65. Maybe the noise is from gears spinning faster than the engine since 5th is overdrive. It only does it on my truck sometimes bit maybe I just get used to it and tune it out. Gonna check my tranny oil later. I only have 10,000 miles on the fluid since I changed it last so hopefully it is still clean.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Have you checked the U joints?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
Have you checked the U joints?
Haven't taken to drive shaft off to check but if it's a u joint it would make noise in other gears. I've greased them every 10k or every other oil change. Usually takes 1-2 pumps.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...riveshaft.html

heres another thread