Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CB radio install - Your thoughts please?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
huevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Sergeant First Class/Chief Warrant Officer 3rd Class (Retired)
Name: Shorty
huevo movil's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb CB radio install - Your thoughts please?

Fellow enthusiasts,

For a few months I have been deliberating where to mount my CB radio? I see some have mounted theirs to the left of the steering wheel under the dash; unfortunately for me that spot is taken with my Prodigy Brake Controller for my travel trailer; some have integrated it into the cubby hole beneath the Radio/DVD (to much work for me); some have mounted their radios sideways along the back portion of the console on the passenger’s side… etc…

I came with the idea of mounting the radio partially inside of the storage cubby above the double drink holder/tray (see pic 1 & 2) utilizing the original radio mount (u shaped) and a aluminum support post (see pic 3 & 4). This support post is made from a scarp piece of flat 1/8” thick, 3/4” wide aluminum.

At first glance this configuration will allow me to remove the radio as needed but maintain a clean and aesthetically pleasant look. The only drawback that I see is that I loose partial use of the double drink holders beneath the radio. This is where I need y’alls assistance, what am I missing in terms of draw backs?

I earnestly welcome your thoughts and comments.
Attached Thumbnails
CB radio install - Your thoughts please?-pic-1-radio-dry-fit-cab.jpg   CB radio install - Your thoughts please?-pic-2-radio-dry-fit-cab.jpg   CB radio install - Your thoughts please?-pic-3-mount-top-front-view.jpg   CB radio install - Your thoughts please?-pic-4-mount-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
MGRS is on a distinguished road
Army:
MGRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
Well I went a different route. Instead of trying to shove a big box somewhere in the cab, I got a Cobra 75.
That little cobra is a slick way to handle it. Did you glue or bolt your mic hanger over the pass. airbag switch?

I did have a uniden CB mounted like this using velcro, but that was temporary:

Would have mounted it here, but that is where my 50W 2M rig now sits, bolted to the plastic using fender washers on the other side:

2M antenna here:

I use the ham rig far more but would like to get that CB back in the truck and will probably put it in the console box.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
I think its ok. I would have gone for the center compartment between the seats then. Cool bracket though.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
Would you be able to cut the front out of that cubby and recess the CB further forward to allow access to the double drink holders?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
I got my cobra 29 and my kicker mounted under the driver's seat!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i like mine under the seat, plus my wilson antenna is a roof mount magnet type. so when i'm not using it i can tuck it away and no one would even know i have it!!! In case i get into trouble with it!!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
MGRS is on a distinguished road
Army:
MGRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughtaco View Post
I would love a cb I am still doing lots of research on goodones. Too many to choose and of course to go with this thread I would have no idea where to mount it .
Get a less expensive unit to start. All are limited to 4W anyway. A good antenna, tuned to acceptable SWR, is far more important than the make of CB transceiver.

All-in-all CB is a very limited form of communication. It is (barring 'skip' caused by atmospheric conditions) short range.

If it is for fun, highway info, or communicating with another vehicle in LOS, by all means CB.

If you are looking for emergency/contingency longer range commo, amateur VHF or UHF is the way to go.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
huevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of lighthuevo movil is a glorious beacon of light

Army: Sergeant First Class/Chief Warrant Officer 3rd Class (Retired)
Name: Shorty
huevo movil's Tacoma Gallery
Coax Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbolas View Post
I'm installing mine there also. i just put foam tape on the radio to keep it from scratching anything. i need to figure out how to run the antenna cable. i don't want to drill any holes. you can put the brackets on top and leave the cup holder inserts there, i can still use one cup holder.
bigbolas,

I am unable to provide pics att as I am out of state. However I ran my coax underneath through the passengers edge of the the cup holder, down along the passanger side of the console kick plate, behind the firewall on the passenger side up and out though an existing grommet, across the top (underneath the wiper compartment) and to the under hood antenna mount. Hopefully this is clearer than mud? I will be glad to provide some pics upon my return Thursday if you like. I have experienced no interference e.g. bleed over from either the engine or the wiper blades as of yet.

Would be interested in seeing where you applied the tape and mounts as well. A dry fit pic would suffice. I have not finalized the install but hope to do so soon.

Best wishes.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery

This was version 1.0. Version 2.0 is improved.. No wires or cables....ANYWHERE
Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #11
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGRS View Post
I got a big ass Cobra 29, I think I am going to mount it here
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You know that carpet comes up, and there's 2 bolts underneath. Under teh shifter there's 2 screwes, the whole thing picks up and you can see the floorpan. Not sure why you made a hole in the side...?
That was my mistake. And why I did Version 2.0. The coax cable now goes down under that plastic cardboard and straight under the carpet to the pass rubber plug.

I have a dumb hole in the side of my center console, Lesson learned......
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Gotcha
Ill probably plug it up with some odor free resin..
Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Dirty Trucker

4 watts? That's funny, I'm pushin several hundred! 
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #15
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh View Post
Ill probably plug it up with some odor free resin..
What you should do is think of a way to have something crawl out of there to scare someone sitting in the passenger seat
Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
What you should do is think of a way to have something crawl out of there to scare someone sitting in the passenger seat
toy snake?
Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #17
( . )( . )
Law Enforcement:
YES!!!! That would be friggen hilarious, maybe get a chick in a short skirt
Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillfly199 View Post
YES!!!! That would be friggen hilarious, maybe get a chick in a short skirt
I might try it on the gf.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
RDtacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Albert
RDtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have mine under my seat
Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #20
Banned
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbolas View Post
not sure why he made a hole in the bed also.
I tried to keep the Firestik from hitting things and getting in the way. There will be an eventual version 2.0 for the FireStik mounting as well.

CB antenna adapter with elbow joint. I got to leave it be for now, I got to reach my goal right now.