1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 Manual Question>>>

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by XSB41, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    XSB41

XSB41 [OP] If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Was wondering...owners manual sez drive in 4x4 at least 10 miles per month...have been going to a local humongo park field here and puttering 'round to fulfill above requirement...is it OK to do this on hard surface road? Previous 4x4s I've had run gnarly on asphalt, and I don't remember needing to do this...thanks...

*Have had it in 4hi on short stretches and it ran smooth

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    That has been talked about on here a lot, and there is a lot of different opinions on the subject.

For the most part you should only use 4x4 off-road, or on the snow on the road is fine too. As long as you drive on a surface where you can let you're tires slip, if the wheels need to. You're tires are able to slip in the dirt or snow, not on the asphalt.

Some guys on here have suggested that you can drive 4x4 on the asphalt, but with some restrictions. Don't turn sharply, doing this can put a lot of strain on your transfer case, and the rest of the drivetrain. And they say don't go fast, not over 40 MPH should be fine.

I would say keep doing what you are doing, and change the oil in the front and back and case every 20-30 thousand miles. Hope that helps.

3. Jan 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    Terrier

Terrier Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7
    There are a few threads on this issue. Some say it is okay to run on hard road surface as long as you are not turning. Personally, I do not run on a dry hard road surface, even if I am going straight.

Page 305 of my 2008 Owner's Manual states:
    "Four-wheel drive models-Toyota recommends not using four-wheel drive on dry hard-surfaced roads, because four-wheel driving will cause unnecessary noise and wear, and poor fuel economy."
    If you do a google search on running part time 4wd on dry hard road you will come up with numerous articles saying words to the effect of "don't do it".

4. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I personally would never engage 4WD on dry pavement...your just asking for trouble. Even sharp turns on hard dirt with minimal slippage while in 4WD you'll experiance binding issues.

5. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You can get away with it on short, straight shots on the pavement- but if something unexpected (deer, kid, drunk, etc) happens- It can be a quick trip to an expensive replacement.
    Just keep running around that tract you have been...or get out wheeling more often!!

6. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    XSB41

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    Thanks much for the replies; not too many places close by to 4x4 for long stretches, and I'm trying to keep this one outta the body shop:p, w/ this being my primary vehicle due to the recent sale of my 'Burb. The field it is...

7. Jan 17, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    8ballshifter98

8ballshifter98 Giggity giggity, giggity goo

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Sanford, NC
    Vehicle:
    1998 4cyl SR5, 5 speed
    Memphis front door speakers, Pioneer rear door speakers, 600 watt Dual stereo amp, 4 Q Power 1" tweeters, Pacer chrome bullet-hole rims, chrome bull bar
    never heard of this, seems legit though

8. Jan 17, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It must rain in Virginia sometimes? If the pavement is WET, then it isn't 'dry pavement'... Do your 4WD lubricating operation when the roads are wet... Too bad there aren't any dirt roads or beaches for you to drive on and use the 4WD. Heck, it even rains here in California... sometimes!

9. Jan 17, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Here's a recent thread that has been active within the last day or so asking basically the same question:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/68960-need-clarification-using-4x4-2.html

Personally I never use 4WD on pavement, dry or wet. Within the scope of actual use, I typically stay in 2WD until I either really need 4WD or think I am about to really need it.

I can say for sure I do not run mine in 4WD 10 miles per year. But I engage it fairly often in the winter time just to get up the driveway and every now and then for some reason in the summer.

10. Jan 17, 2010 at 1:12 PM
    XSB41

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    Lol...yes, we do get rain; a little today actually...I should be able to find some dirt roads not too far away. Unfortunately, so much property is posted, and the mountain area we used to have access to has been gated due to vandalism and spot lighting of wildlife...not a lot of straight road stretches here either...time to start looking I guess...

*Thanks for link PA, just saw it...

11. Jan 17, 2010 at 5:39 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    WOW.
    here we go again.
    Do you really believe that if this monthly running of the 4wd was bad, they would put in the manual????? Toyota is very smart, thats why they build these great trucks. It is not bad, it is good, why else would they tell you to do it.! It keeps components lubricated or just functional. It also familiarize's those that dont have a need for 4wd that often on how it works, what it sounds like, and how the truck reacts. I have done this on all my trucks since 1988. I have never had a drivetrain issue. As far as using it, if the conditions call for it I use it. For example, its been snowing for weeks here now, I have had my truck in 4wd for days at a time. Thats why i bought a 4wd, and sometimes i went from snow covered roads to patches of bare roads without taking it out of 4wd. The point is its ok to drive it a short distance on drive pavemnt to keep the drivetrain operational, just like greasing the zerk fittings, operating the 4wd system monthly keeps everthing in prime condition. Thats why its printed in the manual. and yes i have seen the drivetrain that exploded video, but i have only seen one out of millions of vehicles - hmmm?

12. Jan 17, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I was both curious and concerned when I read about the 10-mile per month parameter in the manual. I've had a number of other 4wd (Jeep, Dodge, Ford) and never had this requirement (perhaps because those were solid front axles). I was worried about running on pavement, too. Then I thought about all those times we're running 4Lo on big, dry rocks and got over it. Now I run in 4wd when it rains, albeit in a gentle manner. I never hurt any other vehicles running 4wd in the rain and Toyota is supposed to be at least as durable. I suppose time will tell.

13. Jan 18, 2010 at 4:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I put mine in 4WD while I'm driving to work on the highway when there's a really bad downpour (rain). This probably happens once a month or so. I've been doing this with all my 4WD trucks I've owned (3 of them) and haven't had any problems yet. I engage while going straight (and not under throttle) and disengage while going straight (and not under throttle).

You don't want to drive around down while making turns while in 4WD.

14. Jan 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.

I've always been taught/told never to drive on dry payment in 4wd..i've done it once by accident and got the worst hop.

anyways....as long at the pavement is wet/snowy or even covered in sand....just do it then. drive on an open trail/ the desert/ or even a grassy field...whereever...but i would personally not drive on dry pavement.

the dealer also tells me i can change my oil every 5,000 miles but i do it every 3,000.

conclusion...STAY OFF DRY PAVEMENT IN 4WD

15. Jan 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide

Your not making any sence, your scared to put you truck in 4wd on dry pavement, as instructed in the manual, but change your oil every 3000 miles ????:rolleyes:

16. Jan 20, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.

What i'm saying is i'm not going to listen to everything the manual says. i'm not scared...its just plain dumb to put your truck in 4wd on dry pavement.....one sharp turn and there goes your CV at the very least.

And as far as oil, the manual says to change every 5,000 mile w 5w-20. unless its synthetic oil, i'm doing it every 3,000

see what i mean now. i guess i was trying to make an analogy and it didnt make much sense at first

17. Jan 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    skistoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    I understand, not trying to diss ya. I remember how my 1st truck was like my child. Just this topic has come up quite often, and now im on my third truck. my last one i had for 14 years and did the once a month 4wd religiously. Always tried to stay on straight roads, even went onto 4-lo as well. And i never had any porblems. So i understand the concerns, but i believe the recommended monthly 4wd, even if dry payment is more benificial, and not harmful.

18. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Don't 'they' say: "USE IT OR LOSE IT"...?

Put your truck into 4WD once a month... stop debating it... Why buy a 4WD vehicle and not use or need 4WD?

I have been four wheeling since I was a kid (dad had 2 Jeep Wagoneers, and a Chevy Suburban 4X4) and I had my first 4X4 at 17 (1975)... a Jeep Cherokee Chief. When that kept breaking (it's a 'Jeep thing') I sold it and got a Subaru 4WD wagon (1978)... and got two more through the years. Subaru went to 'AWD' and I went to Toyota (2000)... I needed a truck, anyway... Now on my third 4WD Tacoma.

Tacoma 1 & 2 had each over 100,000 miles in less than 5 years... You can put it into 4WD and drive straight on pavement once a month... It will hurt nothing.

However, it really should not be that hard to find a rainy or snowy day, or a gravel or dirt road once a month if you want to avoid a dry paved road to lube the 4WD parts... Use it or lose it!

19. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Some of us primarily need it in the winter for snow. My 4WD gets enough occasional use in the winter that I don't need to play around with this "once per month" stuff. In the summer however, I very rarely need it.

20. Jan 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
    well , not doing what the manual tells you to cant be good for ya. if you follow the manual, and something breaks, you can then point it out them and say "hey, i did what you told me, and this happened, see page ???"

Products Discussed in

To Top