1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve Stem troubles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jeff, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Had my low tire pressure light come on the other day, suspected my spare but decided to check all the tires for the correct pressure. I could only get one valve stem cap off. They are metal and would not come off till I used a small butane torch to just warm the cap up, then used a pair of small pliers and removed them. There was white residue on the threads , so if I put metal ones back on then I will put a bit of "never seize lubricant" on them or just put plastic ones on.

Then a quick trip to the gas station to double check all the tire pressures. 15 min later the light finally went out. I did not appear that any of the tires were more than a pound or two off.

Jeff , 06, V6, SR5, 6spd

2. Jan 17, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    crittergitter

crittergitter Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    My mechanic said that the metal ones were crap and that they corrode onto the valve stem and that is why they come off so hard. He put black plactic ones back on and they have been fine ever since. I had one valve stem that was actually loose one time and that caused a slow leak. Make sure they are all tight.

3. Jan 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    Reaper22

Reaper22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmyra Missouri
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Tacoma
    Radient Red, Red Grille, Debadge'd, Blacken'd Headlights, DTRL's, Cruise Control, Fog Lights, 2 1\2" suspension lift, 285\75\16 Nitto Dune Grapplers, Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB stereo, Pioneer 3 way fronts with factory tweeters & Kenwood tweeters, Kenwood truck boxes behide seats with 8" subs in each, Wet suit like tacoma seat covers
    Mine came on an found left rear tire only 5 or 6psi low, filled and hit reset and it took a minute or so but went out, Also are your metal caps factory installed, cuz when I had my new tires put on the shop owner told me that the chrome caps on my truck were not right and he put me some grey plasic caps with an o-ring like gasket inside them on, he said the plastic ones kept moisture out and the valve stems were costly and should not use any other...

4. Jan 18, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    Jeff

Jeff [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    Reaper22, I like your truck , just like mine with the exception of the red Taco logo on the grille. I might do that to mine, very distinctive. Looks like you live on a farm too, how great is that.

Yes my valve stem caps were factory, they are just so cheap and useless. My neighbor who has a 04,V6 5spd, has metal caps from the factory but they have a hex head on them and you can tighten or loosed them with a 8/9mm box wrench, if necessary.
    I will get some plastic caps from the local Wallyworld or auto parts store.

I completely forgot about the tire reset button. The white stuff was definately corrosion from the metal caps.
    My truck is going in for its 30K fluid replacements. I did the oil my self before winter and I have aout 35k on it.
    Not sure why the Toyota people want the radiator fluid out of there as most of the standards today are for 5 yrs. They also want to pull the spark plugs but my mechanic is on good terms with a local taco dealer and he said it was not really necessary. So I will get the radiator, trans cases and rear axle fluids done.

Jeff , 06, V6, SR5, 6spd Radiant Red bone stock

Products Discussed in

To Top