Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fan speed switch not working.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #41
Happyboucher has a spectacular aura aboutHappyboucher has a spectacular aura about

Name: Boucher
Happyboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Mine stopped working -- 1st 3 settings -- just went wiggle the resistor area and now it's working. Thx gang!!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #42
"Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS
ironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billy
ironman44bear's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed mine today, cleaned plug (was burnt like the other pics), applied some copper electical grease sh!t, and now works perfect. and to think I have been putting up with this for 3 years LOL
Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
HubbaBubbaGump is on a distinguished road

Name: Carlos
HubbaBubbaGump's Tacoma Gallery
My blower started working only on high speed this weekend. I was just about to order a blower motor from ROCKAUTO, when came on here to check.....too funny.

I will go check this out during my lunch hour.....I am curious what I will find......

Just checked.....the connector has a burnt connection like this(pic from other thread)......but when I plugged it back in, it worked on all speeds....

Old 05-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #44
Cobra6 is on a distinguished road

Army: Field Artillery Officer
Name: Beri
Cobra6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTB530 View Post
I have replaced my resistor three times,the third time i also replaced the blower motor,it worked fine for about six months and then back to the same problem of only working on high speed,but every so often it will work properly,i will check the connections and clean them and put on the grease and see if that helps.I can say one thing,in all my years of owning fords i never had a problem like this.
I am right there with you - between me and my Dad, we have 6 Ford trucks and not had the problems with all of them put together that I have had with my Tacoma. If Ford had a truck the same size as a Tacoma it would be a viable option.

None of the parts houses in town had the blower motor resistor, and the stealership had to order it yesterday - won't be in until Wednesday, only about $34, but still a hassle. Then I have to solder my overhead compass/temp display and figure out why my rear doors won't lock/unlock.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #45

Cobra6's Tacoma Gallery
This just keeps getting better - ordered the blower motor resistor (not in stock) Monday from the stealership - get a call back today that the part was not at the warehouse and not available.

get another call that their may be a new part number, but part would not be available until 16 May.
Why do I not have confidence that I will get it then?

None of the parts house have the part or can get it - Car Stuff took my order last Saturday, but still no part shipped - I betting they don't have it either.

92 degrees here today, and the fan doesn't work at all. Toyota is sucking wind right now.

UPDATE - I got the resistor from Car-Stuff this afternoon - OEM part for $29.18 + shipping
Old 05-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #46
libagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to all

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
I just disconect and conect back the blower conector and everything started working againg.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
so my fan just quit working on everything but high. when i call my service department, do i just ask for the resistor for the blower in the dash? or is there a specific name or model number i need to reference?

btw, great post, very helpful.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:17 AM   #48
melsman is on a distinguished road
Marines:
melsman's Tacoma Gallery
Hi ND,

I would recommend first pulling the connector to the resistor, cleaning the burned conductor (it will be obvious), and then coating it with a film of "bulb grease". Reconnect it and test the blower. Also, change your cabin air filter.

If these steps don't fix the problem, then contact your dealer (or go on-line) and replace the fan motor resistor.

Most of the time, the resistor isn't the problem... it's the over-heated connector that corrodes over time.

Melsman
Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #49
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaBubbaGump View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsman View Post
Hi ND,

I would recommend first pulling the connector to the resistor, cleaning the burned conductor (it will be obvious), and then coating it with a film of "bulb grease". Reconnect it and test the blower. Also, change your cabin air filter.

If these steps don't fix the problem, then contact your dealer (or go on-line) and replace the fan motor resistor.

Most of the time, the resistor isn't the problem... it's the over-heated connector that corrodes over time.

Melsman
thanks for the response. i took a look yesterday, and my harness looks like hte one pictured above. I didn't clean it or do anything, just plugged it back in, and now everything works fine. why did you mention cleaning the cabin air filter?
Old 05-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #50
Marines:
melsman's Tacoma Gallery
Hi ND,

My theory is that a dirty cabin air filter is a contributing factor (not necessarily a causal factor) to this issue. A clogged filter will significantly reduce the amount of air flowing over the resistor assembly, causing more heat build-up in the entire assembly - including the connector. This theory seems to be supported by the fact that the factory service manual recommends changing the Tacoma cabin air filter much more often than in their other vehicles.

Resistors are pretty robust components, and if they're failing and/or the connectors are frying, then there's definitely a heat dissipation issue. And it doesn't take a degree in aerodynamics to conclude that a clogged filter in the process would cause a significant reduction in cooling air flow across the resistor assembly.

Thus, my recommendation to change/check the cabin air filter. If you don't want to spend $2 million on a stealership filter, here's one at Rock Auto for $4.11. I bought 3 or 4 just like I do oil filters.

Also, I also recommend dielectric grease ("bulb grease") to fight corrosion on the connector. Again, a small tube at Walmart is a couple of dollars.

Melsman
Old 05-28-2011, 11:15 PM   #51

Cobra6's Tacoma Gallery
The dirty air cabin filter and burnt connections going to the resistor are one issue, but you also have problems with the blower motors chirping or ticking - they eventually can go out completely - as in my case - I had to replace mine at 77k miles.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #52
Dube295 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avn Tech
Name: Andre-Luc
Dube295's Tacoma Gallery
I got a 2011 tacoma ... andIwondering if that is just a feature for what ever reason ... When it's hot outside and let say at 3 o'clock after work it's pretty hot inside the truck (my truck is black) So start the truc a/c work fine but I need a lot of fresh air so put the fan a max and the fan stop working ...

It only gonna work if I hold the switch pass max kinda 1 degre after ... the fan also stop if I press on the switch ... but as soon as the truck cool down ... (using the open windows technique the fan start working again ...

So is it a great feature in 2011 to protect something or my switch is bad?
Old 06-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #54
Marines:
melsman's Tacoma Gallery
Hello JohnW,

I'm not sure what part you mean by "this", but if you're talking about the blower motor resistor, do a Google search for "Toyota Tacoma Blower Motor Resistor W0133-1778922-OES" and you'll get tons of hits.

Even Amazon has a listing here. Expect to pay around $30.

If you're asking about the air filter, see my post above for a link.

Good luck.

Melsman
Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #55
Legally a baller
blazedCBR is just really niceblazedCBR is just really niceblazedCBR is just really niceblazedCBR is just really nice

Name: Alan
blazedCBR's Tacoma Gallery
Wow I'm so glad I found this thread. Between this and the shltty soldering job in the temp gauge/compass I'm wondering wtf toyota doing these days.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
Jeffsdeere is on a distinguished road
EMS: Life Saver
Name: Jeff
Jeffsdeere's Tacoma Gallery
I just ordered a replacement blower motor and 2 cabin filters from Rockauto. It is frustrating that I have an 07 with only 55000 miles on it and it already went out. Total cost delivered for everything was around 50 bucks. Not bad considering Toyota wants 200 bucks for just the motor and 25 bucks a pop for a cabin filter. Autozone wasn't much better on either one. My symptoms include the fan not working on any position but when I give the blower motor a gentle tap it kicks on. Hopefully it will keep working for a few days until the replacement gets here. I was thinking the it was a problem with the resistor at first since everyone seems to have that issue but I don't have the burn marks or other signs of problems that everyone else is describing. I am sure hoping this fixes the problem. Thanks TW. I will let you all know if this is the fix for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #57
FTB530 is on a distinguished road
FTB530's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my resistor twice before i replaced the blower motor and resistor , then the new one stopped blowing unless on high setting,there is a few post on here about the wiring,it looks like the plug into the resistor gets hot and looks melted,i unplugged the resistor and could see the dark coloring in the plug,i took a small screw driver and scratched the contacts and then i pput some dielectic grease on the contacts ,so far 6 months and its it is workig fine,.seems like Toyota would have a recall on this to many people wiht the same problem.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #58
Dube295 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Avn Tech
Name: Andre-Luc
Dube295's Tacoma Gallery
mine on my 2011 truck the fan stop on Hi setting when it'S really hot inside the truck ... and it look like my probleme is more likely coming from the switch itself since if I holdthe switch pass the Hi setting the fan will work again...
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 AM   #59
TacomaRebel is on a distinguished road
TacomaRebel's Tacoma Gallery
other possiblities blower resistor

My fan blower on my 07 PreRunner stops working on lower speeds also. I can tap on the resistor and it will start back to working. I called my local dealer and this is a common problem. On Friday they had 2 of the parts, I went over there today and they were sold out. The parts guy said that one of the techs had came up with a solution. If one of the pins on the connector is burnt or melted then what they do is replace that pin & part of the wire with a heavy gauge wire that comes from a connector part that they sell for around $12. The resistor is $38 plus tax. So about $50 in parts.
He called the service dept, but they didn't know about it. But estimated it would take about 2 hours and cost around $200 for a 10 minute solder job. Parts guy said that he knows that one of the techs has done several of these and that I could talk to him tomorrow and decide if I think I can do it myself or want them to do it.
It appears to be simple to do.
My question is how will attach a heavier gauge wire to a smaller gauge wire prevent it from overheating? My thought is the wire would need to go all the way back to the source/beginning to do any good.
If it is the wire that needs replacing only, would that mean that the resistor is still good? The pins on it are not burnt or melted only on the wire connector?
If this is such a common problem along with the overhead temp/compass that some trucks come with, why doesn't Toyota issue a TSB and have these fixed?
How do we complain to Toyota about these problems, so maybe they will fix it for those of us that the warranty has expired.
Would love to hear opinions.
One other thing: When I was coming back from the dealer, I decided to see if the fan would work with the resistor still unplugged from the blower. YES it will blow on high only and puts out cold air. I guess the high setting isn't controlled by the resistor?
Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #60
TacomaRebel is on a distinguished road
TacomaRebel's Tacoma Gallery
What do you clean with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsman View Post
Hi ND,

Melsman
What do you clean the connector with? Do you take it apart so that you can get to the whole connector?
My resistor appears to be ok, just one of the pins on the connector wire appears burnt. My dealer parts dept, says they solder in a heavier gauge wire from a GM connector.