1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan speed switch not working.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kbmcmahon, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Jan 17, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    kbmcmahon

kbmcmahon [OP] New Member

Member:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 trd edition crewcab speedway blue
    trd edition, tow package
    My fan speed switch isn't working on the first few settings. It only works on the highest setting. Sometimes they all work, and sometimes they don't. This has been occurring over the last month and I can't figure out what is going on. If anyone has any suggestions on what I should check to correct this it would be greatly appreciated. (2008 Model)

Update:
    A big thank you to jbob! It was the blower resistor. Very easy to replace. Only takes about 10 minutes. I will post a link that will give you a step by step guide on how to repair this little situation.

HVAC blower motor resistor replacement
    This is how I replaced the HVAV blower motor resistor in a 2005 Tacoma[​IMG].

Symptom of a bad resistor for me has been that the AC/heater blower will only work on high. At first this is intermittent, then later pretty much constant.

First let me say that this is the 3rd resistor for this truck[​IMG]. They seem to last me about 18 moths. The first replacement was under warranty, and after they checked everything else out they decided to replace the resistor. Once they decided it took the guy 15 minutes or so to replace it. A few days ago I called the local stealership, the service[​IMG] estimate was 1 to 2.5 hours labor and $38.17 for the resistor (MSRP $28.89). That's why I decided to do it myself.

The first problem is finding where the darn thing is. By looking at the service manual it appears to be next to the blower motor, actually it sits right next to the firewall a little to the left (drivers side) of the blower motor. Now a skinny little guy could get to it rather easily, but for a big old fat guy like me (59, 6’6”, 325lbs) that isn’t at all limber - not so easy. I tried to get up under there but just couldn’t my head and shoulder jammed in enough get a good view.

I ended up pulling the front passenger seat for access. It still isn’t easy - but at least do-able.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...orlocation.jpg

Now that I know where it is I believe that I could change it without removing the seat.

First step after you find it is to disconnect the wiring harness, it comes off pretty easily, next there are 2 screws holding the resistor in. There is one on the left as you look at it, there is a second one on the right in about the same position - but on the back of the unit and pretty much not visible. I couldn’t see it no matter how far I got under the dashboard.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...sconnected.jpg

You can feel it though. You will need a 5.5mm socket on a ¼” drive ratchet. It needs to be a ¼” drive because anything bigger won’t fit on the back screw and in the space available. As it is I had to pull the carpet out of the way to get on the hidden screw.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...tbackscrew.jpg

Remove both screws and the resistor falls out in your hand, put the new one in, making sure that the little catch on the resistor for the plug is facing you.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...storholder.jpg

Start both screws, and lightly tighten, connect the wiring harness AND . . .

Congratulations!

That’s it you are done.

PatrickR, dzking, ogdog and 14 others like this.
  2. Jan 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    could be a switch,blower resistor,or the motor.

Tombra likes this.
  3. Feb 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Excellent thread .. any possibility admins could add this to the main list of 2nd Gen Tips, Mods & More sticky
    :D

4. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    ofrd4fun

ofrd4fun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4
    FJ Cruiser wheels, air bags, 5100's @1.75, TC UCA's, bi-xenon HID's
    Just last week the blower in my 05 would only work on high. I usually leave it on low all the time so I quickly turned it from low to high a few times and it started working properly and has been fine since then. I'll be bookmarking this just in case it screws up again.
    Thanks for the write-up.

Cheers

Lucasben likes this.
  5. Feb 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    WATacoRider

WATacoRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    what does the resistor look like and what is it's function?

6. Sep 13, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    jyeeah

jyeeah Active Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD PreRunner
    I have the same problem. It does work sometimes though. Every now and them. Maybe something loose.

Thank you. This problem has been bugging me for past few years.

7. Sep 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    SampleFool

SampleFool Three Percenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Ga
    Vehicle:
    Silver
    08 off-road
    So hopefully the op will see this, My lights also dont work all the time, same as yours? A little bump with my fist always fixed it, now the fan switch is out.

8. Sep 15, 2010 at 9:31 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    A faulty pigtail(connector) on many tacomas is common the only problem is its part of the dash wiring harness and can NOT be spliced. The connector is the one plugging into the resistor block. You will be able to see if it is a bad pig tail, it will have discolored or darkened insulation on one of the wires on mine it is the second from the far right when its plugged in.

It is NOT spliceable since that wire comes from the A/C amplifier and its a computer looking at voltage and resistance values.

The stealership Fix over $1240.00 for a new dash wiring harness plus 5 hours labor at 125.00 per hour.
    My fix pull apart the connector and slowly remove the one terminal that is damaged from the connector pack. Once you have done that tighten up the terminal so the terminal pin on the resistor block will make better contact. Reassemble the connector and plug it in. This is the more permanent solution the stealerships don't want you to know.

Beauxdon and Dennisi01 like this.
  9. Sep 16, 2010 at 1:45 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone have a pic of the resistor itself?

10. Sep 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    ibJAE

ibJAE Member

Member:
    I posted this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/107093-before-you-replace-blower-resistor.html

btw kbmcmahon in those photos it looks like the terminal connector cavity in question is brown (burnt). I believe when the resistor is replaced one gets lucky for awhile because connection is restored, not a bad resistor. If a resistor is opened, check it with an ohmmeter for continuity from the power in terminal (the one that burns) to the outputs. These resistors are pretty rugged looking in design to me.

11. Sep 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good pic of the connector end...I was wondering about the actual resistor body, the part that sticks up in the cavity.

12. Sep 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    ibJAE

ibJAE Member

Member:
    [​IMG]

Notice the white wire w/blu tracer - that is the voltage supply wire - it is bigger than the others, but the terminal connector is the same size; that is the problem. Too small of a terminal for the amperage flow for med-med high blower speeds thus it gets hot and the heat causes the terminal to create an oxidation when it cools down and a poor connection (ever seen the black carbon on a battery cable terminal? Much the same).

DistortedAxis likes this.
  13. Sep 18, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anything can be spliced. Do a proper soldering and insulation job and the computer will not know the difference.

KevinG and onesojourner like this.
  14. Sep 18, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Exactly what I was looking for--thanks!

I wonder whether using something like Deoxit or Stabilant 22A (electrical contact enhancers) would help with this issue. Or possibly even just dielectric grease, if done when the contact is still in good shape, might prevent oxidation.

15. Sep 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Nice write up................

16. Sep 18, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    ibJAE

ibJAE Member

Member:
    The dielectric grease might help. But I believe the best fix would be for Toyota to make an updated resistor with larger terminals and an updated connector pigtail that could easily be spliced into the harness.

17. Sep 20, 2010 at 2:58 AM
    Surfbohica

Surfbohica Mr. SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Kailua, HI (Tucson, AZ/ SanDiego,CA)
    Vehicle:
    05 DBL Cab SR5 Speedway Blue TRD OffRoad
    Bull bar, 2.5" front level lift, 10' color matching grill, black housing headlights, HIDs, in dash double din DVD player,
    ahh this was so helpful! thanks!

18. Sep 30, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    pojo82

pojo82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    NE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD double cab
    flowmaster exhaust, URD cold air intake, URD MAF calibrator, Thorley Headers Billy 5100s set to 2.5 lift in front, Billy shocks with add a leaf in the rear Wet Okole seat covers
    I had the same problem and got a new resistor from the dealer. the day i got it i just threw it in my counsole to replace later and havent had problems with the fan cutting out since. the easiest fix ever.

CowboyTaco, dborrer and tx_shooter like this.
  19. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Love My Taco

Love My Taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport xtra cab
    K&N CAI, 110 outlet in cab mod, ARE Cap, Yakima Racks, Stainless Bull Bar, tailgate lock
    Don't make the same mistake I did, check the wiring and harness where it makes the sharp bend. I bought the resistor then figured out it was just a bad connection there.

20. Oct 30, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    jwhelan

jwhelan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JW
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Silver
    TRD PreRunner, 5100's on all four fronts @ 1.75, AAL, SP performance rotors, hawk pads, 17" FJ Cruiser wheels P/C black, 265/65/17 BFGR Rugged Trails, BHLM , painted grill, blacked out emblems
    How much are the resistors?

To Top