Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)

Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
Polarisman is on a distinguished road
Polarisman's Tacoma Gallery
Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)

Hey guys,

I was changing the oil in my 07 Tacoma the other day and I noticed this rust on the frame, it flakes off real bad, and is on the same spots on both sides of the truck. The truck has been car-port kept and never been in the mud or salted roads, I live in central Louisiana, only has 6500 miles on it. Do I need to be concerned about this, maybe let the dealer look at it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-001.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-002.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-003.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-004.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-005.jpg  

Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-008.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-010.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-011.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-013.jpg   Rust Forming on 07 Tacoma (Pics)-012.jpg  

Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
You are under warrenty take it to the dealer. They will do something for it.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
put your fucking camera on MACRO

please
Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
probably just surface rust
Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
lilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to beholdlilgerber is a splendid one to behold

lilgerber's Tacoma Gallery
thats why i undercoated my frame .
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my 2007 used from a guy in Boston, MA. I live in Maryland. I was originally concerned about frame rust from all the road salt the truck has been subjected to and from the stories I've read about Tacomas rusting.

When I bought it, I pressure washed the undercarriage. It cleaned up nice and had very little rust. What rust it did have seemed to have been hardware and brackets. After I power washed, I sprayed the engire undercarriage with WD40. Before this winter, I power washed and did another application of WD40. I've put 20K miles on the truck since I bought it. We've had 3 good storms already this winter where the roads have been covered with salt. This weekend, I just rinsed off the undercarriage with a garden hose, let it dry and checked it out. No signs of rust anywhere. It looks like new!

I don't know if I'm lucky or on to something but WD-40 seems to have worked some magic. It takes about 3 cans per application. Give it a try.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Buy the way, nice looking truck. Wanna sell those wheels?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
this may be a complete long shot...and i may have no clue what im talking about

is it possible that the dealer sold you an 05 and told you it was an 07...and this stems from possible flood damage from Katrina?

any other issues like seat mounts rusting or things like that?
Old 01-18-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i have an 08 with a rusted frame.dealer told be to fuck off.there is nothing they can do for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
Polarisman is on a distinguished road
Polarisman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys,

I'm gonna take it to the dealer in Baton Rouge and see what they will do.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #11
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
I wish mine had as much paint as yours.

Marc M
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun155 View Post
You are under warrenty take it to the dealer. They will do something for it.
I think about all they'll do is tell you it's normal surface rust and send you on your way. If that's the case, if I were you I'd get under there and use some of the products mentioned on other threads here to stop that rust in it's tracks.
I'm curious on what caused this with the miles you have and the fact that the truck hasn't seen salt. My 07 has 12,500 miles and is pretty much rust free other than around a few weld area's which I went over with rustoleum paint.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
put your fucking camera on MACRO

please

hahahhahahaa that was fresh
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
jimajr is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jim
jimajr's Tacoma Gallery
This company gives their product a lifetime warranty for the frame. Dealer tried to sell it to me when I was in the finance office. They didn't know I live 5 minutes from the place but never knew what they did there. lol. My truck has 800 miles on it so when get my income tax check I'm gonna have it done to my truck.

http://www.tst5k.com/tst_rust_remedy.html
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
what if this is another hurricane truck? one of them that was flooded? could be?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ight=hurricane
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
my 05 looked a lot worse than that. i have a thread somewhere, i used chassis saver and coated all of teh frame that i could get to.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You bring it into the dealer so it's documented. Keep your receipt, it should have their response on it. For example, when I brought my truck in a week ago for the harsh ride issue, my receipt says "No problem found" which only means they're morons but still, it's documented (FYI: I'm dealing with corporate now).
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #18
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbolas View Post
i would have driven it into their fucking showroom doing 100 mph if they told me that.
they said it a little bit nicer but not much nicer.believe me if i was 10 years younger and dumber or didnt have a daughter i needed to be there for i would have smashed everyones skulls in and than driven through the showroom killing the rest.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Worst picture ever dude... seriously.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #20
guizmouth is on a distinguished road

Name: Guizmouth
guizmouth's Tacoma Gallery
Hehehe guys.
I'm living in Canada and the first year we've more rust than this and frames are good for over 15 years. Spray a bit of transmission oil once a year and you'll see a big difference. The humidity ans dust together are doing it. It's normal.