Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First stuck - question about grinding noise

Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
First stuck - question about grinding noise

<<< that's how I'm feeling...

On one hand I'm bummed out that the truck got stuck and on the other I'm glad because I always wanted to see how I would react.

On the way home I cut through the unbuilt portion of our subdivision. Between two fields there is a shallow drainage ditch, currently filled with frozen-top snow. I had the truck in 4HI and gave it some gas, but I didn't have enough momentum to carry me through the highest "hump" of snow (probably 12" maybe?). From the looks of it my lower control arms and possibly the front diff. mounts were dragging in the snow. No amount of wheel-turning and rocking could gain any traction. All four tires were spinning. I'm running Firestone Destination AT's FWIW. I dug some snow, and probably could have dug enough to break free, but I ended up calling my neighbour who came to pull me out in his F-150.

One question: when trying to get un-stuck I was switching into 4LO and at that time (I think?) I heard a short grinding noise, like that heard when missing a gear in a manual tranny vehicle. Mine has an auto transmission so I'm a little concerned now that I play things back in my mind. Could it have been the transfer case trying switch while the wheels were still spinning? Will I be OK?

Lessons learned:

1. I was stupid to go alone
2. I should have approached the snow at slightly higher speed for momentum
3. I should have installed the 5100's and Toytec AAL that are sitting in my garage laughing at me right now.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
yea i wouldnt switch into 4low while driving personally.. i dont know about the new electric crap but mine is manual t-case with a automatic transmission and i have to throw it into neutral before i try and engage the t-case or it grinds some..
Old 01-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
an 09 shouldn't switch while in drive but if you put it into neutral then switched it the wheels could have been spinningstill causing the grinding. i haven't experienced that yet.
Right on, that's what likely happened then.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodehard09 View Post
prbably no alot of damage but i wouldn't do it again. step on the brakes next time.
Good enough, thanks! I'll have the t-case fluid changed soon anyway, it's almost due. Yeah I'll be sure to think the next time.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
i have switched mine while on the gas before.. its not healthy for it but it was either that or slide down a hill into a pond.. but like i said i have a manual case not push button.. so i just snatch on mine one good time and it goes
Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
Correct, the new electronics will not allow the 4LO to engage until you are in Park or Neutral. That has been my experience anyway as I have tried to do it in Drive on my 07 and it won't do it.

The grinding noise is normal and the result of no synchromesh between the 4Lo gears and the tranny transfer case. Basically that's why they want you in Park of Neutral.. but if the tranny transfer case is still spinning and is out of synch with the engaging gear (4Lo) there will be a grinding noise as they mate up. Anyway, you'd have to do this hundreds of times before there would be any damage.. since you had to be in Par or Neutral anyway so the mismatch was not significant.

BTW- historically all manual transmissions worked this way. I had a Jeep J10 truck once with a stick that didn't have syncromesh and if you didn't hit the gear changes at exactly the right RPM then it would grind.. had about 400k on that transmission when I sold that truck. So really nothing to be concerned about.

Also a tip. Never engage or disengage the 4WD hi or low unless you are traveling in a strait line. This will =reduce binding
Old 01-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
(mountainwolfpup) Ya what he said.