1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Change

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JPC2061, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I change my oil about every 2500 - 3000 miles... right before my x-country trip and again before the return trip. The oil is black as tar. I'd much rather "waste" a few $$ on oil, than break down in western texas, NM or AZ in the middle of freakin no where with a blown engine. I use castrol dino oil

2. Jan 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    ElectronMan

ElectronMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I HIGHLY doubt any decent vehicle made within the last 20 years would break down or 'blow' an engine due to dirty oil. If the oil is still flowing, you are OK. Blown engines are generally due to a loss of lubricating fluids. Either by excessive consumption or a catastrophic failure.

The additive packages available in todays oil are very sophisticated and will allow you to extended oil changes much beyond the recommendations of the wrench monkey at Jiffy Lube.

Also, if you are having excessively dirty oil, the oil isn't your problem. You should invest in a quality air filter and oil filter.

3. Jan 19, 2010 at 7:49 PM
    LS1Steve

LS1Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    3k miles is a threshold established by the oil industry. That's what Jiffy Lube tells you... for a reason($$$). You do NOT need to change it that often. I change out synthetic every 6k, and that is perfectly healthy for the truck.

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    j4x4ar3

j4x4ar3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - White
    Round Step Bars, Bed Mat, Cargo Bars, Rocky Mounts bike mount, JVC MP3 Head Unit, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, Rigid Industries front and rear light pods, dual HAM radio with remote mount heads.
    Actually you're only partially correct in your statement. The auto industry and the oil industry many years ago determined that 3000 was about the life of the old back in the day and with the way engines were made about 3000 miles was also about the time the filters and everything would have enough "sediment" and such to need the change.

Today however with newer engines running better cylinder tollerances producing less "sediment" and such as well as the improvement in oil technologies, many newer vehicles now have a 5000 mile recomendation for oil changes with non-synthetic oils. You do have to watch what oil and filter you get though. For instance (if you use Fram filters) make sure you get the one that's rated for 5000 mile intervals for changing. Also Mobile makes a non-synthetic oil that's designed for the 5000 mile interval (Mobile 5000) the other oils out there may only be formulate for the 3500 mile interval.

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    FastEd1500

FastEd1500 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Ft Lauderdale
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma
    Hey i am do for my first oil change soon... What number filter and how many quarts.. Thanks

6. Jan 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    burnthesnikle

burnthesnikle Active Member

Member:
    man i will stand out on this...

i run 10w40...synblend...and change every 4000 miles...
    this is what i run in every truck i have owned...no problems...and the last one had 240,000 miles and used no oil between changes...

Products Discussed in

To Top