Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Questions about fiberglass caps

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
wildman is on a distinguished road
wildman's Tacoma Gallery
Questions about fiberglass caps

I am looking for a fiberglass cap for my 08 DC SB, what are the pros and cons on back glass, Single or double handles? Framed or frame-less? Dealers here have Jason (cheapest) Century, Leer, and ARE (most expensive) Basics with fold down window are starting at 900? Just needing to keep stuff in bed dry and keep it in the bed.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
Have you herd of Bestop ?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
wildman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by talhas001 View Post
Have you herd of Bestop ?
Yes I have, but I thought they only make soft tops. I want a fiberglass cap.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
wildman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketball View Post
I have a LEER 100XQ. Love it.

Have had it for 1 1/2 years now and not 1 problem.
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the Leer's leaking, have you had any problems? I suspect a lot of it might be the installer not the cap.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
oh i thought that you needed the stuff to stay dry thats why i was sugesting that ...
Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman View Post
I have seen a lot of people complaining about the Leer's leaking, have you had any problems? I suspect a lot of it might be the installer not the cap.
It's not the cap or installer IMO. The problem is the truck bed design.

The bed leaks at the top rail where the composite bed meets the metal parts up by the cab. My installer knew about this problem and put down a bead of clear silicone caulk at each joint before putting the cap on, so the areas that water can come in are plugged.

Even with that, it's not totally waterproof, but with a bed mat everything I put in the has stayed dry. The small amount of water that does get in stays between the bed mat and the bed.

I would say the water that does get in comes in where the back window meets the tailgate.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
I bleed Black and Gold
cheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant futurecheehab has a brilliant future

Name: Adam
cheehab's Tacoma Gallery
My Leer 180 doesn't leak at all. Well worth the $$ in my opinion. I had heard that the single handle rear glass have more moving parts so there's more to break and rods that could bend easily. I bought the two handle (and lock) window and think its pretty good. I hardly ever lock it, so it's pretty easy to get in and out, but if I had to lock it all the time, doing both locks would be a pain in the ass. I ended up paying about $1,500 for my 180 with fold down window, carpeted headliner, and thule rack system. It wasn't cheap but it's the second best thing I've done to my truck.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Proud to be Canadian Navy
crittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nicecrittergitter is just really nice

Name: Stu
crittergitter's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Leer 100R. It isn't the very top of the line, but is more than sufficient for my needs. I have had no issues except the locks in the handles corroded and had to be replaced. Mine doesn't leak and it sure keeps the wind off my dog. Mine doesn't have the fancy lining as we get a lot of damp / wet weather up this way and I didn't deem it practical.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #10
18seeds is on a distinguished road
18seeds's Tacoma Gallery
my snugtop has a single lock and i think it gives it a cleaner look. the same goes with frameless... it just looks much better. I did not like the way the windows sat in the leer's and i wanted windows that has sliding screens and windows.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
NyQuil on the rocks.
nuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to all

nuckinfuts's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for the snugtop. Great fit & finish, easy to open and locks when you close it. I had one for 2 years or so, never leaked and was definitely nice on trips. It really sucked when I wanted to haul big things though and living in an apartment gave me nowhere to put it. Sold it for $1,000, can't complain.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
ASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to beholdASH is a splendid one to behold

ASH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18seeds View Post
my snugtop has a single lock and i think it gives it a cleaner look. the same goes with frameless... it just looks much better. I did not like the way the windows sat in the leer's and i wanted windows that has sliding screens and windows.
Agreed. Also, my SnugTop hasn't leaked in the three weeks I've had it and we've been getting hard by rain here lately.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quesiton about Caps- Canopy- Shell- Topper

Thought I would put in my two cents. I recently purchased a used SnugTop. Mine has the single handle key lock. While I like the single latch I don't particularly care for having to use the key each time I want to access. I'd rather have a push button. It's too easy to be doing something at the back of the truck, set your keys or whatever down inside and then close the lid only to realize you just locked the keys in the back. I immediately had another key made and put it up front in the cab, just for this emergency.
The brand you chose is basically whatever is available in your area and how much you want to spend for upgrades. The Snugtop I purchased retails for about 2 grand plus tax. I bought it for 600.00 + and paid an additional 200.00 to have it color matched to my truck. It was black...
Good luck on your decision. Ken
Attached Images