Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changed oil from factory oil to Pennzoil synthetic; Fuel mileage from 16 to 19.9!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Changed oil from factory oil to Pennzoil synthetic; Fuel mileage from 16 to 19.9!!!

I know the synthetic oil did it, but in full disclosure there may have been a small contribution of going from 60-70 mph (16mpg) down to 55-60 (19.9).
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic oil did not make that much of a difference. 1 mpg or less max.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
"small contribution"? uh huh, definitely had nothing to do with it...
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I heard it comes with Mobil 1, which is a synthetic.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
dustbowl is on a distinguished road

dustbowl's Tacoma Gallery
Question

do you think royal purple would be a little to heavy for a 02 3.4L 2wd trd with 109,900 miles on it. I do drive it pretty hard.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #6
lightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the roughlightfire is a jewel in the rough
lightfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
Synthetic oil did not make that much of a difference. 1 mpg or less max.
I was being facetious. Like to joke. So much has been said about syn oil so I threw this in there. Yep, the only real way to get better mileage is to make the foot not press too hard on the pedal.
Do wish these Tacomas did better with fuel mileage. Heck, my 3/4 ton truck gets 22 mpg at 60-65, 18-20 mpg at 70-75 mph. Actually, come to think about it - a much better truck buy than this Tacoma was. Just much harder to park
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
do you think royal purple would be a little to heavy for a 02 3.4L 2wd trd with 109,900 miles on it. I do drive it pretty hard.
rp 5w30 would be fine.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #8

I was just curious if that heavy of an oil would harm my motor in any way. wish something that simple really would make a big difference.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
I was just curious if that heavy of an oil would harm my motor in any way. wish something that simple really would make a big difference.
5w30 is what is supposed to be ran in there. because its syntheic...its a thinner oil, which can free up a lil power/and make mileage a tad better, but mostly, its synthetic, so you get longer change intervals.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 PM   #10

thanks