Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Billy 5100 setting question

Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
alx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the roughalx_alx_69 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 3rd SFG
Name: Alex
alx_alx_69's Tacoma Gallery
Billy 5100 setting question

I am getting my rear spring TSB done tomorrow, which will put 7 inches in between the tire and the frame on the rear, and right now there is 4 and a half inches in the front between the tire and frame.
If I install bilies in the front and set them at 2.5 will that pretty much make it level, and does setting billies at 2.5 max them out to where they dont perform well?????
Old 01-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
From my knowledge...2.5" will not make it level out. Your front will sit higher then the rear. I know most of the people set it at 1.75".
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
sincitytaco's Tacoma Gallery
yeah they set it at 1.75 with the TSB, but the front is still lower. If you set the front at 2.5 and get the TSB it should be close to dead nuts level.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery

This is my truck with the TSB and the billy 5100 set at .85.
I selected .85 because the TSB settled to only raising the rear 1 inch after about a week. So hense, the rear was raised 1 inch, i set the front at .85.
You could probably go 1.75 and be good also since our trucks have that factory rake. But everyone who has done the 2.5 seem to be front high to me. Plus going 2.5 really doesnt allow the spring full range of motion.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post

I selected .85 because the TSB settled to only raising the rear 1 inch after about a week. So hense, the rear was raised 1 inch, i set the front at .85.
You could probably go 1.75 and be good also since our trucks have that factory rake. But everyone who has done the 2.5 seem to be front high to me. Plus going 2.5 really doesnt allow the spring full range of motion.
This has also been a problem with front end alignment issues without changing UCA's? I also set mine at .85" and after a year or so of settling the look is what I wanted being slightly tail high running light and level with a load.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
sincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to allsincitytaco is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post

In that pic it looks like the front is about 2 inches lower than the rear. So if you lifted the front to the 2.5 level it may still be lower than the rear. Level to me it level. In other word the wheel well is the same distance from the ground at all 4 corners. If the front sits 1 inch lower, it is not level. It may be close, but it is NOT.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post
In that pic it looks like the front is about 2 inches lower than the rear. So if you lifted the front to the 2.5 level it may still be lower than the rear. Level to me it level. In other word the wheel well is the same distance from the ground at all 4 corners. If the front sits 1 inch lower, it is not level. It may be close, but it is NOT.
He didn't say it was level, just that the rear was raised about an inch due to the TSB, so he set the Billys to .85. I would assume to match the factory rake. I plan to do the same on mine. I assume, again, that his purpose in posting was to just show what 1" up front and back looks like, as opposed to trying to level it.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
To avoid this problem and the lean I opted for coilovers.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Look in my gallery, I am set at 1.75 with the tsb, it does settle quickly in the rear...as someone stated above going to 2.5 is going to be a little harsh, and you run the risk of vibrations. Not everyone has them, but it does occur. I think 1.75 is real safe for close to level, and a good ride. No alignment issues as well...
Old 01-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
When set to 2.5 my taco looks leveled to the eye.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Banned
kilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to beholdkilgoja is a splendid one to behold
kilgoja's Tacoma Gallery
yeah go with 1.75" setting...you don't want it perfectly level...if you do that at 2.5 the ride will be harsh and when you are hauling something the rear end will be alot lower than the front...to me it looks good at about 3/4" higher in the rear than the front
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery

5100s @ 2.5 with 1.5 AAL with 3 leaf non-TSB pack...1/2 inch higher in back, handled 1500lbs without issue & not on bumpstops, no harsh nothin on pavement, offroad might be a little less than plush like a long travel but nothing crazy bad. The worst thing about going 2.5 up front is that you will need UCAs to get caster adjustment correct for front end alignment. It will not wear tires but will feel twitchy & follow grooves in the road a bit.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
From my knowledge...2.5" will not make it level out. Your front will sit higher then the rear. I know most of the people set it at 1.75".
I believe he did say 2.5 would be too high.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #14
DIRTRIDER will become famous soon enoughDIRTRIDER will become famous soon enough
DIRTRIDER's Tacoma Gallery
Set my 5100's at 1.75 with the TSB springs and have a 1" difference front to back. The 2.5 setting would have made my front end sit too high. Go 1.75, also, my alignment is in spec and truck rides good.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #15
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery

Mine 1.75 billies and the TSB AAL. Front is just lower than the front.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Mine 1.75 billies and the TSB AAL. Front is just lower than the front.

front is lower than the front.....hmmmm......something to ponder
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Correct, I was trying to stay close to factory. Was originally going to set billys at 1.75, but when i re-checked the rear end it went from 1.5 inches of lift to 1 inch of lift. so that why i decide to go with .85. have been very happy with this set up, plenty of spring rate left. did the alignment after intalling billys, no vibrations, no rubbing, even doing 75/80 on highway.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitytaco View Post

I believe you dont measure level from the wheel wells. The wheel wells are cut at different heights, the rear has a bigger opening. If you have all four wheel well at the same height, you will be front high
Old 01-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Hahah yes the front lower than the front. Sorry I ment that the front is lower than the rear at 1.75. I have a lack of sleep and usin my phone to post.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine set at 1.75 and it's even with the tsb rear. I guess it all depends on how the TSB springs settles afterwards.