Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine "Break In"

Old 04-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
well, I'm getting close to 500 miles. I have been pretty good about varying the RPMs, and I have not done anything full throttle. (ok...I may or may not have hit triple digit speed on a downhill) but been shifting between 2-3k rpms. May have been a touch above 3k 3-4 times, but not by more than a hair. It seems to be getting good gas mileage. It's about 50/50 city/highway driving which I think is good. I try to not lug it down low in the rpms, although I have inadvertently done it 2-3 times shifting a little early (that whole wow, I have 6 gears instead of 5 thing). I'm planning on doing an oil change at 1000 miles. I think 5k miles for the first oil change is way too long.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
My opinion is you're doing an excellant methodical break-in that will repay you in time. You're very wise about the oil change..never be cheap about the lifeblood of a vehicle. Sometimes I wonder about that 5000 mile crap...like maybe they don't want a guy to get 300,000 miles out of his truck---
Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #23
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
I estimate I'm doing about 17 MPG right now, combined highway/city. Based on the information I gather from the first 1/4 tank. I let it get down to 3/4 tank or so, then filled tank to full to get number of gallons used, then used the miles from my last fille up, which was about 98 miles on 5.8 gallons of 93 octane. I'm like 20 miles away from 500 miles on the clock.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #24
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
I am suprised to here that your oil (at 1210 miles) was dirty. That sounds unusual, at least to me.
I have always been aware of what color the oil was when checking the dipstick. To me it was a rule of thumb to change the oil just as it started to darken.
After having done 4 oil changes so far in my 06(with 16,000) I have not noticed any major change in the oil color and have only "used" less than a 1/4 of a quart in between changes.
Wouldn't it be nice if Toyota either changed the capacity to 5 or 6 quarts,one way or the other, I spoke to a mechanic and he said it sure would be easier on them.

To the Klown, sure seems like a waste to be the crap out of your truck, considering the cost, however since you paid for it , have at it. Your repair shop must like to see you pull into their yard.

Jeff 06,V6,4x4 SR5, 6spd.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #25
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
To the Klown, sure seems like a waste to be the crap out of your truck, considering the cost, however since you paid for it , have at it. Your repair shop must like to see you pull into their yard.
Thing is that's why I bought a toyota, so I can beat the crap out of it and as long as I do the routine maintenance I shouldn't have to take it to a repair shop that much. I don't know if you would classify it as beating the crap out of it. I drive it aggressively, it's all within the limits of the truck. It doesn't cause reliability issues, it just causes me to go through tires and brakes much quicker then the average driver. That's a cost that I'm willing to pay though, as you say it is my truck.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #26
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I am suprised to here that your oil (at 1210 miles) was dirty. That sounds unusual, at least to me.
I have always been aware of what color the oil was when checking the dipstick. To me it was a rule of thumb to change the oil just as it started to darken.
Jeff 06,V6,4x4 SR5, 6spd.

Checking the oil on the dip stick it didn't look bad at all. But when it hit the pan it was pretty dark and thick? Didn't find any shavings though. It was definitely a different consistency than the Castrol 5W-30 that went in dirty or not. Break in oil?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #27
Metal Magic is on a distinguished road
Metal Magic's Tacoma Gallery
I think you guys are crazy. I put at least 4000 miles on my oil and it still comes out somewhat clear. I think that these trucks are very, very durible and with modern technology 4000-5000 miles is acceptable. My boss changes the oil in his ford every 10,000 miles and it still runs great. Also another friend of mine went 4000 miles on his 96 ford and it just rolled over 300,000 miles and he used the cheapest oil he could find. If changind you oil often gives you peice of mind then enjoy but me persoanlly I am not worried.

I perssonally drove my truck very easy for about 1000 miles (about 2k-3k) but a co worker bought 2003 brand new and the day he left the lot he floored it all the way to the freeway. He now has 60,000 mile on his truck changing his oil every 5000 and he is horribley rough on his truck (rev limiter, burnouts, donughts, offroading. etc.) and it still runs great. Toyota makes great products thats why I bought one. Hey has anyone heard of the max millage someone has gotten out of the 2nd gen. ?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #28
caravan2001 is on a distinguished road
caravan2001's Tacoma Gallery
That's all good info. Got my 2008 four weeks ago with 3 miles on it, and just drove it normally without too much stress. Towed a 500 lb trailer after 500 miles, but it was just for a short distance. I did a bunch of research, and asked the dealer about break in. Like you guys, I got responses varying from run the shit out of it, to just drive it normal and vary the rpms for the 1st thousand. The dealer told me the new engines are made to require way less break in than in years pass, and just to drive it normally with a blend of city and highway miles. I was going to wait until 3000 miles to change the oil, but since I have a free change from the dealer I might take it in now (1750). I am hesitant to take it anywhere else than the dealer or switch from the Toyota recommended filter- am I crazy? I had Jiffy Lube change the air filter in my Subaru and it never ran the same again.....
Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #29
Metal Magic is on a distinguished road
Metal Magic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan2001 View Post
That's all good info. Got my 2008 four weeks ago with 3 miles on it, and just drove it normally without too much stress. Towed a 500 lb trailer after 500 miles, but it was just for a short distance. I did a bunch of research, and asked the dealer about break in. Like you guys, I got responses varying from run the shit out of it, to just drive it normal and vary the rpms for the 1st thousand. The dealer told me the new engines are made to require way less break in than in years pass, and just to drive it normally with a blend of city and highway miles. I was going to wait until 3000 miles to change the oil, but since I have a free change from the dealer I might take it in now (1750). I am hesitant to take it anywhere else than the dealer or switch from the Toyota recommended filter- am I crazy? I had Jiffy Lube change the air filter in my Subaru and it never ran the same again.....

jiffy lube = no good

next time find out how much a tech at toyota makes, I bet its in the 20.00-30.00 per hour and the guys at jiffy lube make minumum wage-10.00 Im sure. The people at the quick lubes normally don't care about the truck they just want to get you in and out. go to toyota or do it yourself. I have had nothing but hard luck with quick lube places in the past and I won't dare take my new truck there.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #30
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Have to agree with the Jiffy Lube assessment , wouldn't trust them to cross the street safely. I am certain there are some Jiffy Lube owners/workers that do a decent job. There's a reason they call it "Jiffy".
Jeff, 06,V6,SR5, 4x4 6spd.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #31
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe the dealer parts guy ought to look at this for oil filter info. The 90915-YZZG1 shows to be for the 4 cyl. and the 90915-YZZD3 is for the V6. I guess I'll swap them out for the D3's for next time.

They call them Kwik Kar around here and I avoid them like the plague.

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pu...lfilters06.pdf
Old 04-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #32
CCRT is on a distinguished road
CCRT's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Anyone using the Mobil-1 209 filter for the 4.0? The application book lists only the M1-102