Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneau Cover

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
pittsburgh_matt is on a distinguished road
pittsburgh_matt's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau Cover

This is for anybody trying to decide on a new tonneau cover for their Tacoma . I know everyone has their own opinion on which they like best so I just wanted to share mine in case somebody was having trouble picking one. After weeks of searching a bunch of different types and brands I went with the Truxedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up from auto anything. I wanted one that would still let me use the bed rail system and though this one limits the use you can still use it. Also the product is of very high quality. It comes with a lifetime warranty too. I did the install myself with help from a friend. It only took about 15 minutes and was very easy. They send you brackets that are made for the tacoma. They slide right into the rail system(great idea). All you have to do is place the tie downs in between the brackets and they will be able to slide back and forth between them. The tension system is af very good design and is simple to adjust. Overall I really like it so far. Hope this can be of help to anybody shopping for one.

later-----------matt
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Nice post but...

Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
sorry just bad photos from my phone. Yes it is pretty expensive, i think it is around $450 but it has a lifetime warranty on it including the tarp so any problems down the road with that and you can get it replaced for free.The quality looks very good .
Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #6
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
Looks nice. Thanks for the pictures. I guess I've got another one to add to the list and consider.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
yea this is what i was going to get before i was convenced on buying a bestop
Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
How long does it take to remove when you need to use the bed?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
Matt,

Thanks for the info. I am currently doing exactly the same research and narrowed down my choice to Tuxedo LoPro and Access LE.

The Access LE is about $40 more than the Truxedo, but comes with the seal and some other extra I cannot remember.

The only difference between the two I can see is the Access requires you to remove the rails and then insert the mounting parts behind the rails. although it does gives you full use of the rails, they will now be narrower, hence accessories like the cargo divider will not fit anymore since it relies on the original distance between the two rails. On the other hand, the Truxedo uses clamps on the rails if I am not mistaken, so it limits the use of the rails.

I am curious about your research and what choices you came down to, etc. I am still undecided now.

Question, you need to open the tailgate in order to unlatch and rollup the tonneau right? same question goes to any Access LE tonneau owner. I am planning to get the pop n lock as well.

BTW, you can get the Tuxedo LoPro for $100 less than what you paid AA here

http://truckalterations.com/html/tacomaworld.html
Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
hoopscoach is on a distinguished road
Name: Danny
hoopscoach's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneau

Does anyone know if there are tonneau's that will fit an 05+ without having to remove the bed rails.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
wildtrax1 is on a distinguished road
wildtrax1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopscoach View Post
Does anyone know if there are tonneau's that will fit an 05+ without having to remove the bed rails.
EXTANG Trifecta
Old 02-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Matt,

The only difference between the two I can see is the Access requires you to remove the rails and then insert the mounting parts behind the rails. although it does gives you full use of the rails, they will now be narrower, hence accessories like the cargo divider will not fit anymore since it relies on the original distance between the two rails. On the other hand, the Truxedo uses clamps on the rails if I am not mistaken, so it limits the use of the rails.
Not sure if it factors into your decision but with simple modifications the cargo divide is able to be utilized atleast with the Access Literider. If the LE is of the same profile it should work also.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
$450! yikes!
I bought a cheap tonno pro tri fold off Ebay for $269, couldn't happier!
Super easy install, No rails to mess with, Comes off as easy as it went on.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #14
doughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the sheddoughboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
doughboy's Tacoma Gallery
There are really pros and cons for each. I ended up getting the Access LE, but now maybe thought the truxedo would be better. This is because I have a bed extender, and I am not able to swing it in and out because the tonneau rail is in the way. I also had MAJOR trouble dealing with two torx screws from hell, they stripped while trying to remove the rails. So I suggest anyone using access tonneau to spray PB blaster to the screws first before removing them. If you would never use a cargo divider or a bed extender, then I'd say access tonneau is a better choice (best bang for the buck is the literider for $280 shipped) because the installation will look cleaner (no clamps hanging on the rails), otherwise get the truxedo, which cost about the same as the access le.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Tuff Tonneau III. Press and Seal is fantastic, I don't have any leaks, and I have use of my rail system.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #16
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Same one my father has on his sierra. They're nice covers!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #17
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopscoach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtrax1 View Post
EXTANG Trifecta
Its not a fold, but the Extang Tuff Tonno allows for full use of the rails, I use a cargo divider under mine.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtrax1 View Post
EXTANG Trifecta
Got it on my truck and love it.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
chazbourne is on a distinguished road
chazbourne's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2010 tacoma I am interested in tonneau and also if any one knows if the Thule 2160 fit kit will work on the 2010 cab. Not sure if 2009 and 2010 are identical cab designs.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
FishErTaco is on a distinguished road

FishErTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Extang Trifecta about a month ago for a 2010 DC short-bed. Fits and looks great, and no problems with the composite bed rail and you can leave the cleats in the bed rail system. Easy to install and remove. Definitely worth it.