Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Homelink Install

Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
BobSaget916 is on a distinguished road
Name: Seth
BobSaget916's Tacoma Gallery
Homelink Install

Hey guys, I want to add a Homelink mirror in my taco. I have an 06 base prerunner. I know i can tie in to the existing wires used to power the reading lamps, but i'm not sure if they are always hot. I dont want the temp gauge and compass to always stay lit up on the new mirror. If i had the overhead console with the temp gauge and compass i could use the wires from that but my truck probably isnt prewirred for that either. Any comments? Concerns?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSaget916 View Post
Hey guys, I want to add a Homelink mirror in my taco. I have an 06 base prerunner. I know i can tie in to the existing wires used to power the reading lamps, but i'm not sure if they are always hot. I dont want the temp gauge and compass to always stay lit up on the new mirror. If i had the overhead console with the temp gauge and compass i could use the wires from that but my truck probably isnt prewirred for that either. Any comments? Concerns?
The mirror I installed is just the homelink & auto-dimming. I already have the overhead console. We wired the homelink to the map lights for constant power. We wired the auto-dimming to the compass/temp power (goes out with ignition). Ground was attached to the support piece for the overhead console.

I personally can't comment on whether you have wires for the overhead console or not.....

You just gotta find a power source that's always live (for homelink) and goes off with ignition (for temp/compass). That usually involves using a voltmeter and testing wiring for current and/or utilize the fuse box.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I dont want the whole mirror to run hot all the time, it's just going to drain my battery. Anyone have this same issue?
You want the homelink to be HOT all the time, or else you won't be able to open the garage door unless you turn the truck on. The homelink won't draw any power unless you press the button.

Everything else...the compass and whatever, can be ignition power and only be HOT when the truck is on.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
deer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud of

Name: jay
deer slayer 11's Tacoma Gallery
I got one from the junkyard and installed it.
Attached Thumbnails
Homelink Install-dscn0836.jpg   Homelink Install-img00073-20100110-1736.jpg   Homelink Install-img00074-20100110-1737.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I understand that the homelink must be hot but the compass and temp need to be ignition powered but idk where to tap into for that.
Anywhere that has ignition power. You could run wires directly to the fuse box in the cab. Use a voltemeter (?) to test the empty slots (or used slots) for current while ignition is on/off. Then - you could use something like this (Add-a-Line) to connect to it.

This is what I used for my heated drivers seat.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
deer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud ofdeer slayer 11 has much to be proud of

I hooked mine up to my map lights.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
jimker55 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
jimker55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deer slayer 11 View Post
I got one from the junkyard and installed it.

Hey Deerslayer, thats not specific for Toyota is it? My guess is that anyone will work, right?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimker55 View Post
Hey Deerslayer, thats not specific for Toyota is it? My guess is that anyone will work, right?
You can also get them on ebay also - I bought mine on ebay.

In terms of auto dimming & homelink - as long as its just power & you have instructions how to setup the homelink, you should be good.

In reference to a compass & temperature.... as long as you have the proper sensors installed and those sensors will hook-up to the mirror you buy.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #12

you can do it on any car you just need power to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
jimker55 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
jimker55's Tacoma Gallery
I am having trouble installing the mirror I just bought, it the homelink and auto dimming....any ideas?

here is my post looking for help...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nk-mirror.html
Old 01-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #14
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
post #9

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...&highlight=map
Old 02-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
sweetbaboo is on a distinguished road
sweetbaboo's Tacoma Gallery
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Homel...item1c1030e2c0

I'm assuming this will work?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #16

Thats it. I got mine at the junk yard $5.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #17
sweetbaboo is on a distinguished road
sweetbaboo's Tacoma Gallery
wow, i need to check my local junkyard first

thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #19
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbaboo View Post
Yeah...and if you don't like the buttons...you can do this:
http://www.lieblweb.com/homelink.html

My husband bought a similar homelink setup for our corvette but he didn't use the buttons. He put special buttons mounted in the console.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
06dak will become famous soon enough06dak will become famous soon enough
06dak's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP...

Have you checked to see if you're pre-wired for the compass/temp console? My 05 SR5 PreRunner has the wiring already there. Take off your console and see if there's an extra harness there. If so, use that for the temp/compass and then the map lights for the homelink.