1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Undercover Tonneau as Tent?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by jspadaro, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Has anyone looked into something like this? I'm looking at making some kind of way of camping with my undercover tonneau, two ideas:

One is to essentially to make the open cover into a tent. That would mean finding a way to attach some 2x4's or something to buttress the pneumatic opener arms (since they probably aren't made to hold the tonneau up in wind for extended periods of time) and then attach some kind of fabric or netting to the underside, so when pulled up it seals water out
    This seems easier, and really functional, but gear would have to move for sleeping space. However, an air mattress could be used with it.

Another is to make a box, like 4'x4'x6", and leave the front of it open. Let that sit in the bed, put any extra gear on top of it, no storage space lost.
    Put a cheap tent on a piece of plywood, and hinge it in the middle so it folds on itself. This unit slides out of the long, wide, flat box like a drawer, unfolds, half is on the truck bed, half extends out past the bed (2x4's or similar for fold-out legs).
    This seems harder to make, and doesn't have the advantage of the hard tonneau as a roof, but gear can stay put in the truck bed and doesn't have to be moved for sleeping.

Anyone tried anything like either of these? I'd just put a tent on the ground, but for a long camping / road trip, it'd be nice to be up off of the ground if possible, and have a quicker setup time.

2. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
    Someone on here did this with there's. Ill see if I can find the thread for you.

3. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Hoyal

Hoyal Whiskey bent and hell bound.

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    N 39.2249 W -106.16974
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra
    Big tires, big lift, Lots of stuff's.
  4. Jan 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, I'd seen that, just curious if anyone on here had actually done it. I may have to get creative on my own :D

Now I'm thinking a PVC frame, with some ratcheting tie-downs to attach it to the tonneau while it is up, plus some fabric, and I might be set...

Products Discussed in

To Top