1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are Tacomas fun to drive?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by matt z, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 3:41 AM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    Im 17 and yes Tacoma's are alot of fun to drive! And I have driven alot of cars multipile times.. And I take care of my truck never get on it unless needed and still hardly ever go wot in it. And im more of an offroader anyways, not a huge fan of racing. So yes, get the Taco! ;)

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    LOL, asking a Tacoma forum if Tacomas are fun to drive. :D

Yup, they sure are. They are not a car........they are better. I have no issues driving quite spirited on the road, turning offroad and tearing up and down a nice trail, and then hitting the road again. Very versatile and a great vehicle for us young guys' insurance rates. :D

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 4:50 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Yes final answer.
    As far as winter driving, AWD, 4wd, fwd, rwd, I have used them all in Vermont. My 4WD, even in 2WD and common sense does just fine. Hell, my fwd del sol & winter tires does just fine. Of course, in the 33" snow dumps or heading to the mountains, my tacoma is what I choose because its fun, gets the job done & looks good too. :)

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Get u a Tacoma, put some aftermarket coils and shocks. Install a trd supercharger and u'll have a good handling pretty fast little truck that u can take anywhere and do anything with! U can't go wrong buying a Tacoma!

5. Jan 21, 2010 at 5:13 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    if you really want a "sporty little car" then don't get a pickup truck.
    I would say tacomas are the most "sporty" and offroad fun capable of all midsize trucks, but I would'nt compare it to a car.

6. Jan 21, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    swise

swise TRIFECTA!!!

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 dbl cab, TRD offroad
    BTW, congrats on deciding to hike the little honda shitbox!
    ( no offense to any other shitbox owners:))

7. Jan 21, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    Ok i think you are confused. Or maybe you like 2 completely opposite cars. The "FUN" you mention here differs. The fun in driving an all wheel drive spots car is much different than the "FUN" in driving the Tacoma. I owned a BMW 540i before i bought my truck. There is no comparison to that v8 4.4 liter 540i and that’s what i call Fun but only if it’s driving on a nice paved road at high speeds. Tacoma is fun to drive and i think a truck that has a really nice drive and handling for a truck. This is my first truck and i drive it like a car sometimes and it does just fine. If you are looking at driving it 60mph weaving in and out of traffic, take sharp turns, race it and stuff then this truck is not for you. It’s really FUN to drive off road.... So it is you my friend who needs to look at which “Fun " you talk about and then decide what you want to buy. If I was given a choice I would buy a Tacoma over any Mitsubishi any given day. I got rid of a 540i for this truck...

8. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    Toymaker

Toymaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra RCSB 4x4 TRD OR, Black
    talhas001 beat me too it.

On pavement fun vs. off pavement fun. Car fun vs. truck fun.

I'm biased, I'm a truck person. I personally like trucks much more than cars. I'm willing to sacrifice the speed and nimbleness of a car for the versatility and ruggedness of a truck.

As already said by others earlier, a sports car is much more fun to drive on pavement than any truck and that includes the Tacoma. The Tacoma with it's high center of gravity, truck frame and suspension just can't compete with a sports car. However, I have more fun with the Tacoma doing truck things like hauling, towing and off roading than I'd have with any car and it's performance on pavement is good enough to not even matter.

9. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    The Tacoma is fun to drive, but for a different reason than the Mitsu would be. Coming from a 350Z, I enjoy my Tacoma so much because its not a delicate flower, because its got some road presence, and i think it suits my personality a bit better.

How many times would you have to be asked "Dude, why didn't you get an Evo?" before it got tiresome?

10. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    A Tacoma can go anywhere a Lancer can, but a Lancer can't go where a Tacoma can. Nuff said.

11. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    I switched from a 5spd sports car that was lots of fun on smooth open pavement. city with potholes + traffic + new englad winter = broken wheel bearings, constant wheel alignments, getting stuck places and sore left knee.

i have an 05 4x4 access cab with the v6 and auto tran, couldnt be happier i made the switch such a more practical vehicle imho.

disclaimer, i do also own a sportbike for my adrenaline rush needs:cool:

12. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I understand. I looked for six months and when I could find none, I sucked it up and bought a new one.

I had an Acura Integra with a high performance suspension before owning my Tacoma. It was very fun to drive.

After seven months of ownership I can remark that the Tacoma is fun to drive, both on the highway and off-road. The V6 has plenty of power. I also very much like the high clearance factor.

In a truck you can typically drive over many things that are just not possible in a car, and with 4WD it makes you that much more unstoppable.

For me everything became an obstacle to climb over. :D

13. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    I will say this. I've owned a lot of 4x4s, and my Tacoma is the best handling truck I've ever driven. It is a 4x4 though and when it's empty the ride can be a little choppy, but not any worse than any other truck. JMO. Good luck with you purchase and welcome to the forum

edit- I forgot to mention the steering is very good in the Tacoma also. Very linear with good on center feel and not over boosted like in a lot of newer cars.

14. Jan 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    The End

The End Support our troops!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Lakeland, Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 A/C 4wd M6
    HP60/14 bolt, Atlas 5.0.
    Are Tacomas fun to drive? Nah.

l_f8a8a4f8ecdc4b58b2a0ac087c7299-2.jpg
    l_0fbac3a7096c4b42908bab0956966e6b.jpg

15. Jan 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    it's a truck with mushy brakes that gets @15 mpg if you put your foot in it at all.
    It's a truck, not a sports car.
    I drive it because I need a truck, not to make a statement.
    Only buy one if you need a truck, otherwise I'd have an STi or BMW.
    Really.

16. Jan 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you want on-road fun....you can get one of these:

[​IMG]

17. Jan 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    doughboy

doughboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    norcal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    hid head lights, hid fog lights, always on fog lights, bed lights
    As someone already mentioned, do the actual test drive yourself, as it does not cost you anything but time and having do deal with sleazy car salesman (double redundancy) and base your decision on that and not what you read off of the internet. There will always be pros and cons to everything, what is ok for some may not be ok for you.

18. Jan 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    Well said .. .thats exactly why i got a TAco because in Houston there are barely any decent roads...

19. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    matt z

matt z [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Madison WI
    Vehicle:
    '06 BSP 4x4 access cab 4.0
    Thanks for all the input guys. I really dont NEED to haul anything. Like i said before, i cant really haul much in the element and ive made it so far... The element has only 3.5" of ground clearance, so almost anything would be an improvement. Iv never had any urge to go offroading in a car, flying through mud holes on my fourwheelers satisfies that need. So i guess i dont really need any crazy high ground clearance, but it sure wouldnt hurt. Iv driven an 07 Tundra a ton, and that is fun to drive (mainly because it has almost 400hp) Im stuck at college for the forseable future, so i cant just run out an do a test drive. But as soon as i get home...

20. Jan 21, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    mode3sour

mode3sour Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Saguenay, QC
    I've been saving up for a WRX for years. Now that I'm about to buy and I crunch the numbers, I start to realize the Tacoma is a much better idea for me

Taco gets similar MPG, cheaper insurance, less speeding tickets, and it's much more practical imo.

Products Discussed in

To Top