Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What to purchase first.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
XGR50.2 is on a distinguished road
Name: David
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
What to purchase first.

Hello, new guy here from west Texas. Id like you to meet my Taco...

I've been lurking around for a while now drooling over some of these Tacos and I don't know where to start, wheels and tires, exhaust?
I need some advice. I'm only a senior in high school so I'm not rolling in cash here.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Go buy some 5100s and a set of 285s. I think exhaust doesn't sound so cool on a v6, that's just me.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
If I want all tall slender look as opposed to a wide mean look what size tire should I be looking at?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGR50.2 View Post
If I want all tall slender look as opposed to a wide mean look what size tire should I be looking at?
285/65s and you will be good to go.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGR50.2 View Post
You'll want the 265/75/16. Stock your truck came with 265/70/16 so the new tire would increase the sidewall slightly but keep the same width.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Cwhitt09taco will become famous soon enoughCwhitt09taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Cody
Cwhitt09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW
Old 01-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #9
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
It all depends on how much you want to do, how much you have to spend, how good you are with tools.

there are some threads on painting the stock rims, thats a good and cheap upgrade, i did it on mine - 10 bucks.
My first upgrades were a bull bar and nerf bars for protection, was only about 300 bucks. New tires 265/75R16 goodyear Duratracs, 700 bucks.
take a look

Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #12
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Love them!!! They totally rock in the snow currently. Great in all conditions
outperform my previous BFG ATs
Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
TACO_Sauce is on a distinguished road
Name: Haibert
TACO_Sauce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
It all depends on how much you want to do, how much you have to spend, how good you are with tools.

there are some threads on painting the stock rims, thats a good and cheap upgrade, i did it on mine - 10 bucks.
My first upgrades were a bull bar and nerf bars for protection, was only about 300 bucks. New tires 265/75R16 goodyear Duratracs, 700 bucks.
take a look

that is just plain badass!!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #14
Make mine a Double!

Navy:
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
thanks,
I think from stock sr5 to this for about 1200 bucks was a great deal.
rims - 10.00 in paint
tires - 700.00
bull/nerf bars - 300
front billys - 200
TSB - free
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #16
XGR50.2's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm really looking at a pair of 5100s to level it ,do I need to replace the rear too?
I saw a taco with bronze TRD trail wheels and i really liked the contrast with the blue has anyone ever painted their wheels a bronze type color ?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
thanks,
I think from stock sr5 to this for about 1200 bucks was a great deal.
rims - 10.00 in paint
tires - 700.00
bull/nerf bars - 300
front billys - 200
TSB - free

Ok what is a Front billy? and TSB?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Chester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant futureChester has a brilliant future

Chester's Tacoma Gallery
"TSB" is what everyone calls the 'Harsh Ride' spring upgrade you can get, visit your dealer about and jump through a few hoops and get 4 leaf springs in the rear if you are within the 36k OG Warranty.Billys are billstein shocks.

As for the OP welcome and I would hold off on spending money just yet,use the truck for awhile and see what in using the truck you find could help you use it better.They are pretty capable trucks to start with with a few months you will see exactly what you want out of the truck and go from there.Best way not to throw your money at stuff you dont need just cuz it looks cool.There is so many ideas for upgrades on here with very little cash spent to do them.And alot of helpful vendors,you have come to the right place for ideas.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
"TSB" is what everyone calls the 'Harsh Ride' spring upgrade you can get, visit your dealer about and jump through a few hoops and get 4 leaf springs in the rear if you are within the 36k OG Warranty.Billys are billstein shocks.

As for the OP welcome and I would hold off on spending money just yet,use the truck for awhile and see what in using the truck you find could help you use it better.They are pretty capable trucks to start with with a few months you will see exactly what you want out of the truck and go from there.Best way not to throw your money at stuff you dont need just cuz it looks cool.There is so many ideas for upgrades on here with very little cash spent to do them.And alot of helpful vendors,you have come to the right place for ideas.
Thanks.
Are Billstein shocks supposed to be more firm, for the purpose of hauling/towing?