1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Short Throw vs. Factory Comparison

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KaBaL, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    KaBaL

KaBaL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    Ok, so figured I finally reached 100 miles on my new toy so it was time to get rid of the sloppy and long throw in the shifter. I ordered the URD Short Throw the night I got the truck, it arrived today and it's now proudly installed.

Installation was a breeze really, I'll say I really do love the new feel. I'm fairly used to having a short throw as I had one in my previous tC. It does add a slight bit of "clunk" most likely because it doesn't have the slop anymore.

I've included an image for those who were curious as to how much it really changes the throw pattern.

[​IMG]
    Blue is the URD shift pattern, Red is the factory shift pattern. Both are shown in 1st and 2nd gears.

I've taken pictures of the entire install, step by step. I considered posting up a guide, but really the installation instructions provided by URD are very clear and provide all the details you would need. I'm also working on a comparison image from the top view. My photoshop skills aren't what they used to be, so merging 12 images down to one, and highlighting each is proving to be more difficult than I thought, haha.

Not sure how much I like that this also raises the shifter about an inch (thickness of the spacer plate, the factory really was quite comfortable when resting your palm on it, now my hand is at a slight up angle when my arms is on the arm rest and hand on the shifter) - obviously this varies depending on the gear. But still, something I noticed and even predicted prior to installation.

SOLVED - One big issue I have though, and anyone else who has this install PLEASE let me know if this is common. It's almost impossible to shift into reverse with one hand, I have to grab it with two hands and force it over, or swing it from the far right in neutral and force it over. It is a new truck still, will this wear in? I know the stock was still a little stiff but not this bad. Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated (p.s. I emailed URD asking if they knew of the issue - awaiting a response)

Update: Gadget from URD got back with me, says I should check that the extension is seated all the way, which makes sense. Thought I had it on there good, but well, anything is possible. Back to dis-assembly for me.

Update2: Fixed it, Gadget was right, although I couldn't tell after dis-assembly, it must not have been seated all the way. I made sure it was seated properly, reinstalled, and its much better.

2. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    You need to slap it. It sounds funny, but after you do it a couple of times it will come natural.

My wife can do it.

3. Jan 21, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    KaBaL

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    I know what you're referring to, and I'd agree with the factory install. But I'm sure there's something wrong, going to check the extension is seated properly, because it shouldn't be this difficult. It's noticeably 10x harder than stock as-is right now.

4. Jan 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    KaBaL

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    All fixed now - I've gained +2 levels in "center console removal" +1 level in "shifter removal", and -1 level in "double checking my work". Chalk one up for experience.

Now, time for more mods

5. Jan 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    so, does it still add an inch of height to the shifter or was that fixed in the reinstallation?

6. Jan 22, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    KaBaL

Member:
    Northern VA (NOVA)
    Vehicle:
    2017 ORDC 4x4 White
    Brand spanking new...
    The fix didn't change anything other than the engaging into reverse issue. It is raised due to the spacer plate that is used during installation, this is supposed to happen, its part of the design. It effectively raises the pivot point of the shifter giving you different leverage and allowing the shifter to move less, while adding an extension to the bottom end to continue with the proper movement.

7. Jan 29, 2010 at 6:25 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Thanks for posting up the pic, its definitely a helpful image!

8. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM
    uglygun

uglygun Well-Known Member

Member:

Wow, this post says volumes about you.

Before or after D&D?

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
  10. Jan 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:

And this useful post speaks volumes about you. Way to look like the putz for dissing the guy who just took the time to post up some useful info. Over the years I have learned that you might remember something if you did it right the first time, but you will definitely remember it if you faaaked it up and had to then figure out what you did wrong.

Nice post KaBaL.

11. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:28 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    I have been modding these shifters for a while now.

I have done this with the URD, NST & TRD ss kits.

I can cut the upper shifter down to resulting in a shorter throw.

mods036_166041d1ba28dfc6bccd4bb3f975adf421ee9cfb.jpg
    mods037_7f4dbc681a857f427b52ea181d57ade485a2cef6.jpg

12. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Great pics. I was considering buying a short shifter, the pics was helpful. I will be ordering one soon.

13. Jan 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    uglygun

uglygun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Shut the fuck up, I was laughing my ass off at the post as I have a ton of friends who make similar jokes. Including a few goofy friends that never grew out of it and now dress up and beat the hell out of each other at renaissance fairs.

It was more a compliment with one dork appreciating the statement of another dork. Especially considering I have a +1 shitter shovel of maiming that I keep in the back of my truck, so titled after having used it to dispatch a possum.

So I didn't put an LOL in the thread or a little smiley emote, my error. However now I'm laughing even harder at your decision to get defensive.

Let it go dude. Before you have to put a NOT-SO in front of your SMRT screen name.

14. Jan 31, 2010 at 12:25 AM
    dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Dbl cab Auto
    Very useful pics, I always wondered how the actual throw was shortened. the pics show it well.
    Should make it better for my short arm reach.:)

Thanks.

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:04 AM
    HILOTOY

HILOTOY HILOTOY

Member:
    From Big Island
    Vehicle:
    05 trd 4wd off road,tow pack
    liked the detailed work involved in cutting those suckers down......will try to do it your way............one day:rolleyes:

16. Jan 31, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    napiliboy47

napiliboy47 Maui

Member:
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma V6 4x4
    Flowmaster original 40, Leveling kit, URD short shifter, Any time fog lights (luminics pure blue), Billet grille, BHLM, Smoked tail lights, Debadged, 5% tinted windows (all around), Chrome mirrors, Chrome handles, Green map lights, Blue dome light, Blue LEDs, Rear Suspension TSB, Kenwood x693, Soundstream T5-15, Hifonics BXi 1210d, Kenwood KFC-1682ie
    hey Kabal you mentioned you took pics of every step. I was wondering if you could post them or e-mail them to me. I actually have the installation pics from URD but i figured why not have two sets just for piece of mind while doing the installation. thanks a lot much appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top