1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: Tacoma with Solid Axle and Turbo Diesel

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Masada, Jan 22, 2010.

?

Future Tacoma options

1. Solid axle

480 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Turbo deisel

924 vote(s)
    81.3%
  3. IFS

108 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Gas engine

62 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. I like it the way it is, don't change it.

88 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. What is a solid axle?

50 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Jan 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    And Kuwait....and India....and the middle east....and australia..and England ... and Thailand

2. Jan 23, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    DOWN BOY...DOWN...THEY HAVE DRUGS FOR THESE KINDS OF THOUGHTS...lol

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Diesel is cleaner than gas at the present!!!! They call it ULSD. Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel and is mandated to be sold totally in the U.S. by this year. The dirty diesel can/will be found yellow in color and will emit a yellow exhaust smoke if purchased and put in automobiles or highway capable vehicles. The diesel is for off road vehicles, ie tractors etc.

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 6:30 AM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    If a diesel taco were offered tomorrow my son would have a new--used 95 taco in his driveway within 30 days. I like the torque of the diesel and the dependability. I hate the weight and the heat (not that I feel either) but feel it is a better engine. Would gladly pay $36K if I could get all the options I want although right now I think $33K is about all it would cost me. (Build a new toyota then add $1,000 to it--that is the difference in price.)

I believe we will see a taco diesel soon as the CAFE requirements are now applicable to trucks. This was signed by our President....OBAMA. We (America) have got to do something in the truck arena to bring our mpg up on the trucks.

Question: Why the solid front axle (SFA)? Does it give you a weight carrying capability that is much greater? I was reading some other blogs and it seems the SFA is what other countries use and it is an extremely rough ride for the pax inside the cabin. Toyota has now supposedly fixed the problem of engine weight to independent front axle problems and has considered a diesel in the taco for North America.

As far as a Market....hmmm not sure what to think about that as Mahindra is currently set to market a light truck the size of a yoda with 30 mpg. The diesels in the yoda's and nissans from the early 80's had way to many problems. It seems the technology has caught up and fixed them....I understand you must build x number of units to break even in a diesel market but I also understand they (Toyota) only builds 500 diesels for it's market in England (GB) It would be great if Toyota would come on line and tell us what they have done and how they would market a diesel. Audi was cleaning up when they ran they're tv commercials if you remember them...and VW sells something like 20k diesels in its Jetta's and Rabbits per year at list price. Not many cars but it is growing and VW is marketing a TDI diesel in South America called the AMAROK (sp). It's a nice looking truck and would buy one if sold here in the U.S.

The debate continues......

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    choptop

choptop Molōn labe!

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner TEP
    Before buying my Taco I had a VW turbo-diesel. Best tank in that VW was over 800 miles (~50 mpg) from 16 gallons of fuel, all highway driving over 70mph. One thing I'll say about that motor, it was a beast for a 1.9L 4cyl (torque ~200ft lbs.). Could drive flat out all day and still get 30+mpg overall.

If Toyota made a diesel model Taco available in the US I'd be all over it.

6. Jan 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    kilgoja

kilgoja Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 regular cab 4x4 2.7L (silver)
    :mudding:
    that's what i'm talkin about!!!....i mean yeah diesel gas costs a bit more but you would fill up alot less so you would still save money getting twice the mpg per tank and having more power on top of that...it's a win win situation

i'm sure if toyota sold a diesel over here they wouldn't be able to make enough of them to keep up with the demand...not at first anyways....there would be alot of used tacomas being traded in...lol

7. Jan 23, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    briboki

briboki Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC SB TRD Off Road 4x4
    I'd be in for a turbo diesel.

Solid front axle from the factory wouldn't be a big deal to me. I'm not going to wheel my truck hard until it's 10+ years old, and I have another car to use as a daily driver. In 2020, I'm sure someone will sell a solid front axle kit for my tacoma. Right now I want the nice street ride of the IFS.

8. Jan 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    crittergitter

crittergitter Proud to be Canadian Navy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stu
    Shearwater, NS
    Vehicle:
    '06 Tacoma 4WD Double Cab
    Bugger, skid plate, colour coded cap, bed mat, AFE Air Filter, Rear diff breather mod, Chirp on door lock;unlock, ABS mod, Weathertechs front and rear, 60" Hi-lift jack, LED light mod in rear bed, 12V accessory in bed, n more stuff.
    Solid axle, turbo diesel? Mine is gone and I'm now listening to more rattles!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I kinda thought about that, no scratches etc... but that wore off quickly - I have a car for that stuff. I like the immediate satisfaction. At 62, I have to capture as many good memories as I can so that when I have my license taken away, I'll be able to remember my wheeling days until my memory fails. Then I think I sit and stew in my diaper! :eek:

10. Jan 24, 2010 at 9:54 AM
    Masada

Masada [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    All Pro Steel Plate Front Bumper| All Pro Light Bar| All Pro IFS Skid Plate| All Pro E-locker guard| PIAA 510 Fog Lights| Hella 700FF| Fox 2.5 Coilover| Bilstein 5100 on the rear| BHLM| Grill Craft MX Series insert| Added two D-rings to bed|AVID Off Road sliders| AFE Dry Flow S| Gibson Cat Back| Custom Bedbar with hilift mount| Camburg 1" Uni-Ball UCA's| Hi-Lift 48" Extreme
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

11. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    pipe dream

i cant count the number of times ive seen this same thought in threads across MANY different boards...

the reality is that the offroad community makes up for a very small portion of Toyota's customer base and financially it wouldnt make sense to cater to a minority rather than the majority

12. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes a solid axle is stronger, more reliable, and has more weight capacity then IFS. This is why only GM is dumb enough to put IFS in its 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Yes, solid axles also tend to has a stiffer ride, that is why IFS was developed. Cushy and strong tend to be somewhat mutually exclusive. The reason that diesels and solid axles are more widely available in other countries is that they still need real trucks in other countries. Unfortunately 90% of truck owners in North America these days don't need trucks; they need minivans. Minivans; however, don't make good status symbols so everyone demands trucks that drive like cars.

A solid axle swap can be done for as little as a couple grand depending on the amount of bling used and as much as I would like to see the return of the solid axle and the diesel engine I doubt that there is much chance of seeing them any time soon. For all the hype about diesel engines I have a feeling that they are going to go the way of the supercharger. Everyone wants one but when it comes time to fork out the premium suddenly the demands seems to vanish.

13. Jan 25, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    Boomtacoma01

Boomtacoma01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Houston
    It might be irrational for me to say this but... I'd get rid of my 09 in a heartbeat. Upside down or whatever..My dad would take my truck anyday. 33 to 35K I'm all over it.

SFA is a pipe dream though a nice one at that. A different torquier engine also another. The frames on the 05+'s cant even take the torque that the 4.0 V6 delivers. Add a 3.0 Diesel (Hilux) or the new 4.6 V8 it wont happen. Its nice to think about though. I drove a diesel Hilux in Trinidad and it was super fun.

14. Jan 25, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    DIVERMAN

DIVERMAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica 4x4 TRD O/R SWB
    Tailgate theft prevention, Locking rear window, Blind spot mirrors, Fogs on anytime, Rear diff breather relocated, Bed storage locks, LEDs in/out, Relocated trailer plug(custom!), OEM bed mat, OEM running boards, OEM bed divider, Bed lights, Rev lights, Raptor lights, WeatherTech floor mats and window vents, Extra D-rings, ImMrYo Bracket, UWS low pro black toolbox, Carhartt seat covers,
    Diesel,diesel,diesel!!!!!!! Bring it here!!!!

15. Jan 25, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    If possible can you explain what is meant by dependable solid front axle? I hate to sound so ignorant on this topic but I understand axles, ifs and what I think I know about SFA but not sure what makes the axle dependable...I agree with your assessment on the supercharger...as sad as it may seem....

16. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    putawaywet

putawaywet Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    I would absolutely pay $4K for a diesel. I'd get the base model to save that money on all the cushy pansy stuff that makes trucks and their drivers soft :p

17. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:27 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    Why does it have to be $4k-$5k more? VW does it for about $1k more? If the germans can do it I would expect the Japanese could do it for a little bit less.

18. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    Never got rid of my '85 because of the front axle.
    I like it.

19. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM
    S-M-R-T

S-M-R-T Well-Known Member

Member:
    The CV joints in the IFS are the weak link. Flexible joints are always difficult to make as strong as the shafts on either side whether that be an axle shaft, drive shaft, whatever. Add to that the more that the greater the degree of flex the more force on the joint. Because the differential center section is higher then the axle shafts, IFS has to have two CV joints on each side. Any lift that doesn't drop the diff center section actually increase the operating angle of these joints which tends to reduce life span further.
    On a solid axle, the axle shaft runs in a horizontal plane from the differential straight to the hub. The only joint needed is for steering purposes. Most solid axles use a u-joint to allow for steering which is usually stronger then a CV style joint; however, u-joints aren't quite as smooth as CVs at changing operating angles. This is one reason IFS uses CV joints rather then universal joints. Now, Toyota solid axles actually use a CV style joint called a birfield joint. These are the weak link in the traditional Toy mini truck axle when you add bigger tires and exert more force on the axle. Luckily do to mass demand there are aftermarket Birfields available that take care of the weakness issues. There is no such aftermarket support for IFS because it would be far more expensive to produce with more joints needed.
    Most IFS front ends a tend to run smaller ring and pinion as well as commonly being made with aluminum housings instead of steel. Again this is weaker and can fail when increased force is applied.

Now I am not saying that every solid axle is always stronger then every IFS setup, because it is possible to build a strong IFS front end; however given an IFS assembly and a solid axle assembly with the same sized shafts, R&P, joints, etc. the solid axle will be stronger. This is why you still don't see independent rear suspensions in 4x4 applications. The rear axle still has to get the power to the ground without breaking. Since only a small percentage of 4x4 owners even use the feature, there is less emphasis on building a strong front end. Further, of those that do use 4x4, most still willing sacrifice strength for ride quality, hence the predominance of IFS.

20. Jan 25, 2010 at 11:34 PM
    blackwatertaco

blackwatertaco If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Alvin/Pasadena, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 taco, 4x4 2.7 5spd.
    One fucked up diff. breather mod, 265/75/16 Destiny Dakota M/T Black gulf states rims BHLM Magnaflow 14" muffler with cut off tail pipe. 10" pioneer slim truck sub with JBL 600W amp. PROJECT BLACK OUT
    If taco's come out with a Turbo diesel opt....I'll be the first MOFO on that list....

Products Discussed in

To Top