View Poll Results: K&N vs. AFE
K&N Cold Air Intake 27 25.71%
AFE Pro Dry Cold Air Intake 78 74.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2010, 03:24 AM   #21
Tacoda is on a distinguished road
Name: Adrian
Tacoda's Tacoma Gallery
I've used both airaid and kn oiled filters on jeeps, trucks and atvs. I never had an issue with any of those. It is true, from my experience, that if you over oil a filter that oil will get sucked pased the filter.

I have decided this time to go with the afe stage two, oiled filter, in the box. This decision is made simply because I don't want as much sound in the cabin of my truck.

I think your seat of the pants dyno will tell you that whichever you choose was worth it. IMO CAI are worth the investment. You will also probably see a small MPG increase if you don't get addicted to the sound rush and can refrain from "just for the heck of it" fast accelerations.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #22
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I have used K&N for a long time with no problems but for the initial filter change on the Tacoma I am going to try the Pro Dry. The cost is minimal at $35 shipped. I am at 6500 miles now and will change filters at 10K when I change the oil.

This is based on the positive reviews here at TW.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #23
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Got a K&N on the Yoder
Got an AFE on the Diesel (VW Jetta)

I like both of them.....
Old 01-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #24
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
K&N's allow for more air flow. I've owned them for many years.

I own an AFE now - and it doesn't have the same air flow as the K&N did.

So, it all depends on what you're looking for. If you want the most air flow - get the K&N. If you don't care so much about airflow and want easier cleanings...get the AFE.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #25
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hayden
TacoSupreem's Tacoma Gallery
DON'T listen to the guys that say "cai's don't do knothin to our truck's". Because they don't know what they're talking about! I had a KandN drop in filter before and it made absolutely no difference.THe afe cai w/pro dry s filter definately improves hp,torque and throttle response. It is by far the best money i have spent on my truck to date! You will feel an instant increase in off the line power. BUY IT u won't regret it!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #26
Dirty Trucker
TacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSupreem is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm not saying that the K and N cai's are better or worse, just that the money spent on a cai is definately worth it!
Old 01-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
Dirty Trucker

Of course i can only speak for my truck, but with the stock intake my truck felt sluggish taking off from a dead stop. I usta call it a turd! But the cai definately helped it in that regard! Now it wants to burn rubber off the line!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
Dirty Trucker

The URD piece is awesome! U can get the Water proof cover's for it! I was worried about that too thats why i opted to get the afe!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #30
Dirty Trucker

The afe is the same as the trd only the box on the afe has a hole in the bottom of it allowing air to enter in two different locations. Supposedly flowing more air.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 AM   #31
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post

Says it all and is really what I was looking for. Dyno time is usually not inexpensive and if you are doing engine tuning and running it on a dyno after a change the cost just goes up.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #32
NyQuil on the rocks.
nuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to allnuckinfuts is a name known to all

nuckinfuts's Tacoma Gallery
I have a K&N with an AEM dryflow filter. I've gone back and forth between the CAI with both filters and the stock intake. Before the headers it was just a big noise box. With the headers it quites down the CAI quite a bit and seems to be a bit better, but alas, I don't have any dyno results. It makes changing the spark plugs a little easier though.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #33
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the drop-in aFe Pro Dry S. The increased throttle response is what I noticed from the switch from stock.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #34
huff.jeremy will become famous soon enoughhuff.jeremy will become famous soon enough

huff.jeremy's Tacoma Gallery
My AFE prodry was installed today, and I am already amazed. I can drive at much lower RPMs without feeling underpowered, which has already made a noticeable difference in MPG. I only have 2400 miles on my 2.7L, but for the first time I have gone over 100 MPG in the first 1/4 tank. In fact, I am at 110 miles and the needle hasn't touched the 3/4 tank mark. Woohoo!

Acceleration is much better, and the truck seems to drive much smoother now.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #35
Taco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco93 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco93's Tacoma Gallery
How long does the AFE Pro Dry S usually last ? (Under normal driving conditions)
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #36
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco93 View Post
How long does the AFE Pro Dry S usually last ? (Under normal driving conditions)
Forever. That's why I bought one.