LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock Roof rack

Old 01-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Roof rack

I like the look of the OEM roof rack but only with the rails across, not stowed. For those that have this rack, does it make much wind noise in either position? I'm wondering why most people don't set up the bars across like this TN member:

Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Ask me about the shortbus...
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
A thread on this.... really???
Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Before dropping $200 on something, I'd like to research it a little. What's your problem?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Ask me about the shortbus...
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanNinja View Post
Before dropping $200 on something, I'd like to research it a little. What's your problem?
I don't have a problem I just don't get it.

If you want an answer to your question though, I don't have the rack but I've ridden in a truck with one and it's very quiet with the bars stowed or extended. It doesn't have nearly the noise that an aftermarket Thule or Yakima rack would.

Sorry for the smartass remark. It's late and I'm tired
Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
DTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shedDTacoms is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DTacoms's Tacoma Gallery
In mine, it's noisy when not stowed. I don't know if others have the same experience.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #6
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Thats Mr grimm His truck is sweet. i have wanted the OEM roof rack for a while.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Wrangler Convert
sixdoubleseven will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
sixdoubleseven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
A thread on this.... really???
It's a completely valid question. I'm also interested.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixdoubleseven View Post
It's a completely valid question. I'm also interested.
x2
Old 01-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i've run mine for extended periods with the stowed and with them across... i didn't notice any difference at all. one thing to consider though is that if your running mud tires they will help to disguise any noise as well as the stereo.. i'm sure there is some wind noise from them... just not enough for my deaf ears to hear...
Old 01-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
They are quite noisy in the open position. They don't make any noise in the stowed position.

Let's put it this way, I left them in the cross position after a lightbar project, and after my wife came home from driving it to work she asked what that horrible sound on the roof was.

Marc M
Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
I presume gas mileage will be better with them stowed, buts that's just a presumption.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Reneg8de is on a distinguished road

Reneg8de's Tacoma Gallery
I have the OEM roof rack and have never had any noise come from it whatsoever. I have always kept mine in the crossways position rather than the stowed position. Furthermore, I've gone pretty fast on country highways (95+ mph) and not noticed any noise from them even then. They work pretty well too by the way and have 2 small hooks on each side of the cab.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
^Son of a hamster, I smell of elderberries.
400lbGorilla is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: OS
Name: T-LAM
400lbGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
The dealership installed mine as a selling point, so can't comment on having no rack. But with the bars unfolded I noticed alittle more noise on the interstate. But nothing to be upset with, also if you like the look and function of the wind deflectors, like the yakima, and thule racks have. Inno makes one for OEM racks. it's about $80 and should cut down on any noticable wind noise with the rack unfolded.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
s3
Klipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKlipp11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Klipp11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneg8de View Post
I have the OEM roof rack and have never had any noise come from it whatsoever. I have always kept mine in the crossways position rather than the stowed position. Furthermore, I've gone pretty fast on country highways (95+ mph) and not noticed any noise from them even then. They work pretty well too by the way and have 2 small hooks on each side of the cab.
i'm running the yakima rack and i've never heard a single noise from it
Old 03-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
Great thread....yes research everything before you buy it for your taco. I just got my Toyota roof rack installed and it does make a good bit of noise from 30 MPH and up. I haven't stowed them yet but hopefully the noise goes away then.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #17
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
My XM is cutting out a good bit too. The roof rack bar sits right above the antenna. I don't think it would be a problem in the stowed position.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
I've run mine in the open posistion a time or two and it definitely makes a rumble. IMHO though it is a noise that you would get used to in a short period of time.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Paul
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of noise, but when folded it up, it shuts up completely.

I also get crap reception from my stock SAT radio when not folded up.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #20
inlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura aboutinlinejohn has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
inlinejohn's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought my Tacoma w roof rack and tried driving to work w bars in cross position.....Made too much noise and I'm sure the noise = drag = less gas mileage. I will drive with them stowed until I need to use them, but I too like the look when in the cross position better.